• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edinburgh restaurant -The Wedgwood

Wedgwood The Restaurant occupies the lower end of the Royal Mile towards Holyrood House. This is not an area renowned for fine dining and so is a welcome addition.

The place is run by Paul and Lisa. Paul is the talented Chef and Lisa the Talent!

Itis a fantastic place, professional yet friendly and using local ingredients to good effect.

We had great scallops with bacon, Cod cooked with chili, potatoe and garlic in the Basque style and a fine piece of beef fillet. Best of all was the Cheese board which comprised a selection of local, artisanal cheeses and home-made biscuits.

The wine list has some interesting bottles including a Tasmanian Pinot Noir which is worth avaoiding.

Overall though worth a visit

Some of the diner's reviews on toptable are a bit suspect - "Wedgwood, a relatively new Edinburgh restaurant which offers an interesting and provocative menu of sumptuous and delicate flavours." - oh, stop it!

If I was the deeply cynical, suspicious type, I'd almost suspect a viral campaign by "friends and family" of the owners.

Edited by Andy Lynes (log)

A member's first post is a glowing review of a new restaurant?

*strokes chin in cynical manner*

Definitely sounds like a plant, though I'd love to be proved wrong. Good luck with the location, because if they don't click with the Scottish Parliament brigade they're not going to survive; that area's been a graveyard for years.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Good luck with the location, because if they don't click with the Scottish Parliament brigade they're not going to survive; that area's been a graveyard for years.

True enough, speaking as one of that brigade. The restaurant in question used to be the moderately well regarded Reform Restaurant, but there's some sort of curse operating in that stretch of the Royal Mile. Plaisir du Chocolat, for instance, very well known to those who know Edinburgh, went into receivership not so long ago (but that was because they'd stretched themselves too thin). Strange, given that just around the corner are the very well regarded and long established La Garrigue and David Bann's.

You're right (and v. sad that Plaisir is now defunct) - there seems to be some sort of invisible barrier once you get to the World's End, and nothing much below that flourishes.

Didn't Off the Wall once have a place near Old College up the road opposite James Thin?

Edited by culinary bear (log)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Never heard of The Wedgwood, but then I didn't know the Reform had shut. Not that I'd been to it - like you say, it's kind of a graveyard down there. I suspect the trouble is that locals tend not to have a reason to pass any further down the Royal Mile than the Jeffrey Street/St Mary's Street crossing (La Garrigue, Iggs, Bann's are all there), tourists probably aren't all that interested in resto-quality food during the day and during the evening the area's deserted.

On a positive note, Plaisir du Chocolat has been revived - it's now at 48 Thistle Street, between Hannover St and Frederick St. It's a very small boutique shop though and is just doing chocolates now though - no sit-in cafe/meals. It looks like a good location for it - right in the middle of a load of high-end fashion boutiques. Much more convenient for me as well. :biggrin:

Plaisir du Chocolat

PS

Edinburgh

V good news about PdC. I had a wry smile when I read this quote from the website: "We feel that at last we have found a location whose traditional gentility is a fitting repository for our Brand." Translation: we weren't all that happy with the bunch of cider-drinking homeless geezers who used to sit around our steps of an afternoon.