• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Chene Restaurant in Agua Dulce, CA

JLam

I've never eaten at a fancy high end French place. Here's the menu:

http://www.lechene.com/main15.htm

What would you eat?

I also noticed the first item is sweetbreads. I've never had them. Anyone have any experience eating them?

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org

I've never eaten at a fancy high end French place. Here's the menu:

http://www.lechene.com/main15.htm

What would you eat?

I also noticed the first item is sweetbreads. I've never had them. Anyone have any experience eating them?

JLam, I've looked at the menu, and I wouldn't necessarily call Le Chene, "a fancy high end French place." The menu looks rather traditional and classic French from a previous era, not really cutting edge. I also see that the entrees are not served "a la carte." You get a complete meal with your entree. And that helps with the overall bill, ehh? BTW Do you how to get there? Le Chene is really "out there" in the middle of nowhere. And no, I have never eaten there ... yet.

If you haven't had any French food before, you might want to go with some of the classic French dishes that you may have heard about: Duck a l'orange, Beef Bourguignon, Bouillabaisse, Halibut Meuniere ... If you're adventurous, go ahead and try the sweetbreads, or one of the game meats. Add the escargots as well. Try their French onion soup. I'm a sucker for good French onion soup.

I hope this helps. And please, give us a report if & when you eat there.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Yes, Russell, I know how to get there. I actually live out in the middle of nowhere as well...this place is only a short drive from my house. :)

I've never had sweetbreads before, so I'm going to give them a shot.

I guess what I meant to say is that I've never eaten at an authentic French restaurant at all, either traditional or cutting edge, so I'm very excited.

Dinner is tomorrow, so I'll report back.

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org