• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prime rib leftovers....

Jan Primus

I have a good 24oz leftover slab from the weekend...not sure how to re-heat without overcooking it. It was orginally cooked between rare and med-rare. Thinking of searing it on the Q for a minute or two per side? Or in the oven low temp then cut into thin slices and prime on a bun?

Slice and immerse in warm stock and serve. The beef will retain moisture and taste.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I'm not big on leftovers, but I love beef dip sandwiches made with leftover prime rib.  I want the  meat sliced very thin and piled on thick.  It is one of the few things I'll get out my big electric slicer for. 

gallery_27944_2966_403074.jpg

Oh Ann! Thank you for posting again- your photos are mouth-watering and your concepts inspired (don't get me started on your bread...) Way welcome back, as the kids say...

I have a good 24oz leftover slab from the weekend...not sure how to re-heat without overcooking it. It was orginally cooked between rare and med-rare. Thinking of searing it on the Q for a minute or two per side? Or in the oven low temp then cut into thin slices and prime on a bun?

Jan.

I think your instincts are correct.

Cut the meat into a thick steak. Bring it to room temp and sear it on very high heat for one minute on a side. This makes for a wonderful steak.

Tim

My fave thing is to do a sort of combo of the two previous posts- I cut the meat into cubes and sear them in a screaming hot cast pan, add onions and cheese (as carefully as I can) at the last minute, and then turn the works into a heck of a steak sandwich. The cubed beef gets a nice crust on the outside and stays pink in the middle. If I have mushrooms and/or peppers it is all for the better.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

CHEESESTEAK HOAGIE.... sliced razor thin, lottsa fat, chopped while frying add provolone, lettuce, tomato, mayo & a quality roll.

The "Real Thing" in Towson, MD. has been doing it like this for over 20 years. I think it's the best, the meat is chopped fine like ground beef.

-Jimmy

Typos are Copyrighted @

Jan.

I think your instincts are correct.

Cut the meat into a thick steak. Bring it to room temp and sear it on very high heat for one minute on a side. This makes for a wonderful steak.

Tim

This is exactly what I did...16oz slab brought to room temp, seared for about 1 minute per side on high heat on the Weber...cooked still under medium not bad at all.

Edited by Jan Primus (log)