• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late Luncheon in London

Major panic stations - myself and my boss have just found out we are going to be in London tomorrow (Tuesday) for a meeting and are looking for somewhere to have lunch afterwards.

The small problem faced is that the meeting is at 1pm near British Museum and thus we really need somewhere that we could get to for a 3pm sit down (possibly 2.30pm at the earliest).

Does anybody have any ideas please? I've just tried Texture but it's shut today and the online system suggests 2pm is the earliest. Maze was also another idea but didn't realise it was shut till next week. Boxwood Cafe has a table at 2.30pm but wasn't hugely impressed with whoever I spoke to on the phone (a little abrupt). I'm not fussy though don't worry :)

Cost wise anything considered, ideally £35-50 / head + wine

Thanks again

Dan

Major panic stations - myself and my boss have just found out we are going to be in London tomorrow (Tuesday) for a meeting and are looking for somewhere to have lunch afterwards.

At the risk of blowing my own (son's) horn again, if you want something casual rather than formal, head over to Grazing, 19-21 Great Tower St for fantastic rotisseried meat sandwiches or Yorkshire pud full of roast beef, veg and gravy. Or this month's special venison burger. Top notch ingredients, cooking and the friendliest of friendly service - ask for Sam and tell him Mum sent you.

Bernice

oh easy go to shanghai blues. five minutes trot from british museum in the holborn direction. some of the best dim sum in london. pricier than most dim sum places but for ukp35-50 you should be fine. they should carry on serving into the afternoon (ring to check). if they don't there are plenty of (less posh) dim sum places in chinatown that do

ta

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Thank you for the advice everyone - the sandwich shop shall definitely be visited one day; I wish I had one like that near my work!

We ended up going to The Square - booked in for 2.30 but got there at 2.55 - I imagine we weren't the most popular of people but we did call to see if this would be ok and they were most accommadating. I'll try write something up about the meal ASAP on the relevant thread

Thanks again