• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck Legs and Fat

NYC Mike

For that price (works out to well over $20/lb), I'd grab a couple of whole ducks and make duck fat with the extra skin and fat. It's easy: click. Hell, maybe the good folks at DeKalb who are breaking down those ducks could save some extra for you.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

That, in fact, is what I've always done. But Mike seems to want to do a big batch of legs, and some supplementary fat may be required. Of course, if you're starting with a good amount of your own rendered duck fat, that supplement can be almost anything: chicken fat, olive oil -- I've even known people to use butter.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

That, in fact, is what I've always done. But Mike seems to want to do a big batch of legs, and some supplementary fat may be required. Of course, if you're starting with a good amount of your own rendered duck fat, that supplement can be almost anything: chicken fat, olive oil -- I've even known people to use butter.

You can get duck fat at Star Provisions, and they usually have it... but you must ask. I think the head guy is Charles/Charlie Schwab. You can get all kinds of cool stuff there. I get caul fat from Star. Last visit, I purchased some "homemade" guanciale.

Star Provisions

1198 Howell Mill Rd NW

Atlanta, GA 30318

(404) 365-0410

Sawicki's can order most items including duck fat for you.

Sawicki's

250 W. Ponce De Leon Ave.

Decatur, GA 30030

(404) 377-0992

I have never been able to purchase isolated duck fat from YDFM.

I have ordered the 7.5 pound bucket of duck fat from Hudson Valley in the past. It is awesome to always have duck fat around.

Hudson Valley

Dartagnan is another option

Dartagnan

Cheers,

Matt

I have ordered the 7.5 pound bucket of duck fat from Hudson Valley in the past.

As Homer Simpson would say.... "Mmmmmmm, duck fat."

The thought of a 7.5 pound bucket of fat is slightly disturbing. Slightly intoxicating, but slightly disturbing.

Edited by biskuit (log)

This cold weather we are having is making me think Cassoulet and I'm wanna make it all from scratch.

As Chris noted upthread, two ducks (Peking/Long Island ducks; not Muscovy) will provide enough fat to make confit from their legs and wings (use the breasts for pan roasting or grilling). I'd only resort to purchased fat if I was making a larger quantity and was also buying duck legs rather than whole ducks, and/or didn't want to bother with butchering and rendering fat from a half-a-dozen or so birds. From two birds, butchering and rendering are quite manageable. As I consume the confit the fat will be retained for frying potatoes, etc.

Earlier this month I bought two whole ducks, butchered out the breasts and legs, rendered the fat, froze the breasts for later use, prepared confit from the fat and legs, roasted the carcass and made stock, and used the innards and trimmings in an ersatz version of "Jerusalem grill" (which is traditionally prepared by cooking on a griddle fatty lamb bits and chicken innards with lots of garlic and onion and various spices and herbs, served either on or with pita and hummus).

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report