• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mystery rhum from Haiti

lperry

While cleaning out a cabinet, I came across an unopened bottle of Berling Vieux Labbe five-star rhum from Haiti. My BF works there a couple of times every year and undoubtedly picked it up in the duty-free on his way through the airport, but he has no memory of when or why he bought it. I tried a Google search to try to find out about it, and could only find a couple of references to a food and rum festival in St. Lucia where Berling S. A. advertised it along with some other products. Here's the link.

According to the distiller (mixer? distributor?):

Haiti has known over thirty brands of rums, since 1765. Today there are only a couple left, and they still follow family traditions originated from Cognac, France.

Haiti’s rums are still aged in oak barrels as the French method for cognac. This is why Berling S.A produces selected rums to assure its quality and is proud to offer Vieux Labbe premium rums in memoir of Labbe Barbancourt grandfather of late Jane Barbancourt, who was married to Rudolf Linge a perfume maker in France, who had settled in Haiti during World War II.

Today their son Herbert Barbancourt Linge, President of Berling S.A, still preserves original formulas, well kept secrets created by his ancesters.

Our premium rums are the results of special distillation processes, blending and the art of aging until it has matured and mellowed into a spirit of sophistication.

Does anyone know about this rhum? Was this a special offering from Barbancourt at some point? I don't want to open it until I know how we should use it, and I'm guessing it should only be poured with a couple of ice cubes. Thanks!

There's nothing like silence to spur the imagination. Has nobody heard of it? Or is it so terrible that nobody wants to break the news to me? :blink:

Lay it on me. The worst case scenario involves a rum cake or rum pralines...

Hi Bill - Thanks, that's from the site I mentioned in my original post. I've posted at the Ministry of Rum, and so far all I've gotten is the same information from the producer. I think we'll just wait for the weather to warm up and give it a try.

lperry,

If the Vieux Labbe five star is anything like the Barbancourt 5 star, there's no real reason to wait for warm weather. The Barbancourt 5 star is one of my favorite rhums, and is fine sipped with some ice, in a rum old-fashioned, or even in a "Cuban Manhattan".

2 oz rhum.

1/2 oz Italian Vermouth.

dash angostura bitters.

Stir with ice, strain into cocktail glass, cherry, lemon twist.

Great cold weather cocktail.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

This was one review I found...

omeone else said it was good, who knows until you taste it

Abie brought me home 5 bottles of this Viux Labbe Berling.... 5 stars

Nasty as all get out!

The aroma is pleasant enough almost makes you hopeful.

but it's got floaties in it....

the after taste is that of ether or someother industial componant...

it gets ZERO stars from me. I"ve been giving it as gifts for the holiday and I'm still stuck with a full bottle... I can't even mix it with something and mask the ether.

Yikes! I'm pleased to say my bottle is "floatie"-free.

I'm still being moderated on the rum board (can't trust anyone these days :wink: ), so the conversation is taking some time. Hopefully I'll find out something interesting to pass on.

-Linda

Edited to say - Erik, I am ashamed to admit that I had to look up a recipe for an old fashioned. I get back from a business trip in March (leaving this weekend), and we may try it then.

Edited by lperry (log)