• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating in Perth, WA - what's new?

I'm heading to the Perth area for 2 weeks in May and am looking for some interesting meals ranging from reasonable to the very top.

So far, my only choice is Star Anise.

There's very little new on here at the moment so I was hoping to initiate some discussion before I head out there.

There must be some Perth based eGullet members out there - come on, show me what you're made of!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm heading to the Perth area for 2 weeks in May and am looking for some interesting meals ranging from reasonable to the very top.

So far, my only choice is Star Anise.

There's very little new on here at the moment so I was hoping to initiate some discussion before I head out there.

There must be some Perth based eGullet members out there - come on, show me what you're made of!

I was in Perth a few weeks ago, and had a fantastic meal at Star Anise. Also Lamonts in East Perth is great, Must Wine Bar (they had an oyster night with fresh oysters by the dozen that had been flown in from Tasmania), Frasers Restaurant in Kings Park had good food, good service and good views, The Mussel Bar in Fremantle was well located with good food and service. Also try Little Creatures for good beer and food (no reservations).Thai Corner in Mt. Pleasent is great.

In Margaret River, Cape Lodge is sublime.

Enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Star Anise and Must are definite good options. The former, particularly, is a must-go because chef David Coomer has indicated recently that he is thinking of moving onto other things soonish. I should probably make a reservation soon, myself! :laugh: Must is particularly good on Tuesday nights as Jerry Fraser is there shucking oysters to order. If you like high end alcohol their Champagne Lounge is worth a visit too, on the top floor.

There's Jackson's in Highgate as well, which is a block or so away from Must. It's a high end gastronome's place, which has put about that they are planning a $1000 a head Bastille Day degustation menu. :blink:

Galileo is also a few blocks down the same street from Star Anise, and is a lovely homey Italian place with a well-used wood oven and a tasty, affordable house red. The roast wild boar and duck are delicious.

North Perth has a few good places tucked away, such as Nahm Thai, a modern Thai place that's getting good reviews, though I've never been to it myself. Next door to it is Nine Fine Foods, a seafood-centric place that seems to focus on fusion Japanese, and is run by a chef from Tsunami, a modern Japanese place in Mosman Park. There's also a modern Middle Eastern place called Blakes Cafe that is very good value, with food that is, while not avant garde, full of soul. The chef's hubby plays the sax there on Saturday nights!

There's other options further out too, including the Swan Valley, if you're heading out to the nearest vineyards.

I hope this helps you in time. I've been far too long away from eGullet!

" ..Is simplicity the best

Or simply the easiest

The narrowest path

Is always the holiest.. "

--Depeche Mode - Judas

• 2 years later...