• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OXO Good Grips Kitchen Tools

GlorifiedRice

I assume you're speaking of either the "Pick Me Up" or "Uplift" kettles.

Looking at them on OXO site, I can see how the handles might scorch and burn if the kettle were placed over a burner that was larger than the diameter of the kettle. Not sure I'd call this a "design flaw." If you have a stove with burners that are larger or more powerful than standard residential stove burners, you should either adjust the flame or choose a different kettle design.

--

I assume you're speaking of either the "Pick Me Up" or "Uplift" kettles.

Looking at them on OXO site, I can see how the handles might scorch and burn if the kettle were placed over a burner that was larger than the diameter of the kettle.  Not sure I'd call this a "design flaw."  If you have a stove with burners that are larger or more powerful than standard residential stove burners, you should either adjust the flame or choose a different kettle design.

Thank you for the advice. We have a normal stove with normal burners.

• 1 year later...

What's the 411 on Oxo's pop-up containers? They seem a bit expensive, especially if you buy a bunch of those containers.

Do they really work, ie does it really create a air tight seal?

And, is there a difference between these two Oxo dish racks:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/190-9450863-0146341?ASIN=B001Q9X2OK&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B001Q9X2OK|OXO_Softworks_Steel_Dish_Rack&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B001Q9X2OK&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

and

http://www.surlatable.com/product/id/211733.do?mr:trackingCode=3A081E39-59B3-DE11-93DB-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

They look the same to me, but one costs $40 at Sur la table and the other one costs $27 at target. Any opinions on Oxo's dish rack?

What's the 411 on Oxo's pop-up containers? They seem a bit expensive, especially if you buy a bunch of those containers.

Do they really work, ie does it really create a air tight seal?

They are indeed air-tight enough to keep smells from fenugreek, mace etc... away from everyhing else. That's what I use them for.

They are indeed air-tight enough to keep smells from fenugreek, mace etc... away from everyhing else. That's what I use them for.

If I use an Oxo pop container to contain something smelly like that, will that odor linger with the container? Once I use a container to hold something like fenugreek, does it have to remain the fenugreeek container because the odor will otherwise permeate anything else I store in it?

I'm not obsessed, but I was surprised at what an improvement the Oxo Sink Strainer was over the one I had--like it was even possible to improve on the sink strainer. I quite like my Oxo flexible fish turner, which has a thin metal core wrapped in silicone that can tolerate up to 600-deg. F. The Oxo wooden spatula is a nice thing, but mine chipped recently, and I think I'll have to replace it.

I just got one of the I-series peelers with replaceable blades and took it to the family Thanksgiving weekend. Everyone who used it wanted to know where they could get one--the sharpness is that noticeable. I haven't had it long enough to know about durability/longevity of the blades.

Edited by rlummis (log)

I refuse to buy any OXO.

I bought two vegie peelers, both broke in a very short time. Got no response when I tried to contact OXO. Now have acquired 2 or 3 other brands that work great AND have lasted quite a long time (a couple of them were also less expensive).

I had something else........ can't even remember, Oh, a type of spatula. Threw it away.

I do remember all these things leaking water after washing, as someone else mentioned.

Now I make a point to tell others to avoid OXO because they are everywhere and it seems like other choices are becoming rare.

OXO products are very much hit or miss. I like their locking tongs. I have both a pair with Nylon Tips and with Stainless Steel tips.

I also like their Can Opener -- this is the one I have, and Apple Corer, though often I just use a knife instead of the corer.

I also have the Silicone Sink Strainer, which is nicer than anything else I've had but still not exactly as foolproof as Oxo claims. The flexibility is nice but food tends to cling to the silicone more than it does to a comparable stainless strainer.

On the down side, this Garlic Press has been a real disappointment. It's hard to clean and the metal has now become so corroded (after about two years of use) that I've pretty much quit using it.

But by far, the worst product I eve bought from Oxo, and one of the worst products I've ever bought, is the Multi Grater. It's a complete piece of junk. The white plastic frame cracked in half by about the sixth time I used it.

I avoid buying OXO "good grips" products. I got a spatula as a gift about five years ago and have despised it ever since. Why I keep it in the kitchen tool canister I do not know. I hate the large handle and the feel in the hand, which seems to be overly cumbersome. Odd isn't it, that a product that is advertised as having a "good grip" is anything but in my opinion.

I agree that the handles on some OXO items are a bit large for my taste.

However, there is a reason for those handles:

"OXO began with a few simple questions - Why do ordinary kitchen tools hurt your hands? Why can't there be wonderfully comfortable tools that are easy to use?

The man who asked these questions was Sam Farber. Sam, who had recently retired as the founder of a successful housewares company, first questioned the effectiveness of kitchen gadgets in response to his wife Betsey's difficulty in gripping ordinary kitchen tools, due to a slight case of arthritis in her hands. Seeing an opportunity to help not only people with arthritis but also to create more comfortable kitchen tools for everyone to use, Sam came out of retirement and approached the design firm Smart Design with that challenge. As part of the initial research that included talking with consumers, chefs and retailers, Patricia Moore, a noted gerontologist, was brought on board to help understand the needs of the users with special needs." -- from the OXO website

A friend gave me a pair of these Oxo steel whisks:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-1050060-SteeL-11-Inch-Whisk/dp/B000079XW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1260050359&sr=8-1

which have handles that are a little less blocky than the composition handles.

I just watched Cook's Country on PBS and they did a whisk evaluation and rated this whisk tops along with the more expensive Rosle whisk.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I just watched Cook's Country on PBS and they did a whisk evaluation and rated this whisk tops along with the more expensive Rosle whisk.

They seem to like OXO over at that test kitchen. Oxo sponsors lots of PBS cooking shows. Often times though, I'll give them credit, it is not the favorite choice.

I also see that Oxo has expanded beyond kitchen tools like garden tools and waste baskets. Are they as well designed as their kitchen tools, or has Oxo bit off more than it can chew?

I can't say I really have problems washing the Oxo stuff by hand, except maybe the salad spinner. I hate that white plastic insert.

After using that salad spinner for awhile, I finally understand your frustration. That white thing is a real pain to clean- its gotten all dark and dirty. I end up having to use a toothbrush to clean it.

I also see that Oxo has expanded beyond kitchen tools like garden tools and waste baskets. Are they as well designed as their kitchen tools, or has Oxo bit off more than it can chew?

I can't say I really have problems washing the Oxo stuff by hand, except maybe the salad spinner. I hate that white plastic insert.

After using that salad spinner for awhile, I finally understand your frustration. That white thing is a real pain to clean- its gotten all dark and dirty. I end up having to use a toothbrush to clean it.

I have both of the Oxo stainless steel salad spinners. Previously I had the plastic ones but one of my helpers put them in the dishwasher when I still had the Hobart and they emerged looking like something in one of Dali's paintings.

The SS ones are certainly more expensive but they are sturdy and have handled lots of tasks that make life easier for me.

I mentioned in another topic that I use them for rapidly extracting the whey from yogurt to make yogurt cheese. Works like a charm.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 weeks later...

I had an old set of tongs, like 6-7 years old, where the springs all broke. I emailed OXO and they replaced them for free. If you have any issue with one of their products you might want to contact them about replacement or refund.

Edited by Canned Tuna (log)

I agree that OXO has a good warranty but; having read thru this love / hate fest here; I am not a lover of OXO. I think this company may have the best handles in the business with solidly cheap crap for tools under them.

While I appreciate the options of others, this stuff that is hooked to the handles is cheap, low bidder crap, usually made in China..

Robert

Seattle

• 2 months later...

A friend gave me a pair of these Oxo steel whisks:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-1050060-SteeL-11-Inch-Whisk/dp/B000079XW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1260050359&sr=8-1

which have handles that are a little less blocky than the composition handles.

I was just on America's Test Kitchen website, reading throught their equipment reviews. But, with their ballon whisks, I didn't see Oxo as a recommended product.