• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OXO Good Grips Kitchen Tools

GlorifiedRice

I have a Y peeler and i'm not so impressed. The blade always pops out, I will confess it only is used to shave chocolate but I was most impressed with the rubbermaid Y peeler (found at a local Big Lots for $1 should have bought the other 20). But I also probably have another 20 oxo items and are quite happy with those

I have a Y peeler and i'm not so impressed. 

I agree, but not for the same reason. I find that big old handle clumsy -- too hefty in the hand. I have a few cheaper Y peelers I prefer.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I bought one for my mom's oven. She loved that it was semi-opaque which made it easy to read with the oven light. Then one day she noticed it wasn't working anymore and had a "singed" look to it. I bought her another which is still working fine.

I think she may have knocked the first one to the oven floor and being so close to the heat source that caused it to stop working. Though if that was an issue with the thermometer, you'd think they'd put a warning label on it. :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I like everything I've got from OXO, including the measuring cup mentioned up thread (but then I've got a dishwasher). The vegetable peeler is great.

I don't have arthritis, but I do have an injury (sliced an extensor tendon with a scalpel many years ago) that makes gripping things tightly a little uncomfortable, and OXO handles work really well for me.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I can't say I really have problems washing the Oxo stuff by hand, except maybe the salad spinner. I hate that white plastic insert. But ever since I bought a water fountain for the pets (I swear such a thing does exist), everything else pales in comparison when it comes to being a PITA to clean. More than washing the salad spinner, I hate storing it. I think it is designed for people with huge kitchens and a lot of extra cabinet space.

I like the OXO stuff too, but I find that it's hit or miss sometimes. The tongs are great. The flexible spatula? Not so good.

I really like their knives though. They're very comfy and are well balanced. The one downside is that the blades tend to be thicker than what I'm used to.

Ooof. I've had a real issue with OXO

Not the "tool" -- a set of wee kitchen measuring cups -- but the "tools" who saw fit to package them in a blister pack so bulletproof that it took my poultry shears to disassemble it.

Oxo, originally I guess, prided itself on its adherence to Universal Design principles -- oh look! They still do: What We're About

In simplest terms, Universal Design means the design of products usable by as many people as possible. In the case of OXO, it means designing products for young and old, male and female, left- and right- handed and many with special needs.

I guess that doesn't include packaging that can be opened by a human being without resort to poultry shears or tin snips. Or a chain saw. Or explosives.

I was really very, very angry and disappointed with OXO and I sent of an email to OXO *gently* pointing out the apparent discrepancy between their mission statement and their packaging practices.

Did I ever get a reply? No.

:angry:

Just an observation :smile: YMMV.

Im a total Oxo Good Grips *****!

I have almost EVERYTHING they make...

I just bought the plastic mandoline, the citrus peeler, garlic press, fruit pitter and a soap dispenser....

I even have the rare pots and pans.

I am gonna call the company and ask for matching drawer pulls when I redo my kitchen.

Am I just NUTS or does anyone else share my obsession?

In spite of all the newish gadgets for opening the ubiquitous blister packs, I still use the tool I long ago discovered works best - - - a chestnut knife, mine made by Lamson Sharp.

(It also works beautifully on chestnuts!)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

As I baked today, I was reminded of just why I hate their dry measuring cups (I have a set of the plastic ones as well as the metal ones) -- the handles are so big and heavy that on the smaller ones, they don't stay on their bottoms when placed on the counter. They tip, handle-side down. A bit heavy handled, me thinks.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 1 month later...

Okay I have the OXO Pro 14 piece knife set. It has the following:

Block Set includes 14 pieces: 3.5'' Parer, 5'' Serrated, 4'' Santoku, 8'' Chef, 8'' Slicing, 8" Bread, 6 Steak Knives, Sharpening Steel, Wood Block...

There are two slots for more knives...

http://www.oxo.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRt...24&respid=53057

Anyone have any suggestions what I should buy from the above link?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I just got the mango splitter and that thing is amazing. I am not a huge gadget fan - I would usually rather use my knife, but mangos are a PITA. I needed to peel and split 2 mangos for a grilled fruit salsa. First, I peeled them with my ceramic Y peeler (another amazing product, but not Oxo) and then split them with splitter - one move and they were lying there, neatly split in half. I will be eating mangos much more often now.

With the exception of the jar opener (broke almost immediately, and no amount of glue would save it), I'm a fan of OXO tools. I do like the measuring cups, but lean to them when I want precision - and use a normal set otherwise, for ease of cleaning. I've seen the tilting behavior firsthand and dislike it, but the convenience outweighs the extra caution to avoid undue bumps.

I just got the mango splitter and that thing is amazing.  I am not a huge gadget fan - I would usually rather use my knife, but mangos are a PITA.  I needed to peel and split 2 mangos for a grilled fruit salsa.  First, I peeled them with my ceramic Y peeler (another amazing product, but not Oxo) and then split them with splitter - one move and they were lying there, neatly split in half.  I will be eating mangos much more often now.

Mango splitters are great tools. I use KitchenAid's model, which is pretty much a clone of OXO's.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

i have the citrus hand juicer, and I am not a fan. It seems to build up pressure when you squeeze the handles, to the point that juice squirts out the sides instead of the holes in the bottom. High pressure squirts all over the place are not fun.

I have this OXO Good Grips peeler and last year it mysteriously 'disappeared' in the dark recessess of our kitchen. We couldn't find another OXO anywhere locally- well, OK, I don't go out much these days! We ended up with 5 other peelers, we hated them all, INTENSELY. Once you get used to the handling of a certain peeler, it can be difficult to switch to a new one.

Thank goodness, the OXO finally showed ,when we began our prePassover cleaning, this week!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I just bought the Oxo salad spinner, and I'm just curious what the little white button to the side of the central pump is for?

I think it's to lock the pump down when it's not in use. Press the pump down, push in the button (it slides to the side, I think), and the pump will stay down.

Or it's to stop the spinner while something is spinning.

One of those.

I just bought the Oxo salad spinner, and I'm just curious what the little white button to the side of the central pump is for?

I think it's to lock the pump down when it's not in use. Press the pump down, push in the button (it slides to the side, I think), and the pump will stay down.

Or it's to stop the spinner while something is spinning.

One of those.

You're correct. The white button should be the lock to keep the plunger in the down position for easy storage. The black rubber button is the brake which, when depressed, will stop the inner drum from spinning.

Be forewarned that the black rubber button can pop off and can be easily lost.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

I have used the OXO pepper grinder and salt shaker set for the past seven years and they are still good as new.

The pepper grinder is very comfortable to use with the large rubber knob mounted on the rotating handle. The salt shaker has three pour "settings" -- they are useless for kosher salt but work quite well for standard table salt.

My latest OXO purchase is one of those teeny tiny liquid measuring cups (1/2 cup, I think) that has the measurements on the inside, on that slanted part. Not that I need one, but it was just too cute to resist! I'm using it for cocktails.

Their kettle is badly designed.  The handle protrudes past the pot and quickly scorches/melts.

I haven't used this particular Oxo product so can't comment on your conclusion, however, the words "badly designed" and Oxo are not typically used to describe the same item. Ny most recent Oxo purchase is the shrimp deveiner, which works beautifully and is actually better than others I've used, which is saying something about such a simple device.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz