• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mofongo: How should it be made?

Ok Mofongo I know this one! Tooo easy for words...

!. you take a mortar and pestle and pound first plantains (one large at a time peeled and cut up works well) ...then add pork rinds (the big Mexican style chicarrones are the best for this one... big one broken up) and garlic to taste (3 cloves for me) ...salt to taste ..just keep pounding as you do drizzle some olive oil to make a nice paste ..then drop by spoonful into hot oil fry until crispy golden ..drain and serve

beyond easy except they take a lot of pounding

2. you can cook the plantains first then mash it all together same way pork rinds, garlic salt and olive oil..again with the mortar and pestal ...and then serve it as is ..just like you said in a pile...

I dont know if this is authentic but it is how I learned to make it

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Ok Mofongo I know this one! Tooo easy for words...

!. you take a mortar and pestle and pound first plantains (one large at a time peeled and cut up works well) ...then add  pork rinds (the big Mexican style chicarrones are the best for this one... big one broken up) and garlic to taste (3 cloves for me)  ...salt to taste ..just keep pounding as you do drizzle some olive oil to make a nice paste ..then drop by spoonful into hot oil fry until crispy golden ..drain and serve

beyond easy except they take a lot of pounding

2.  you can cook the plantains first then mash it all together same way pork rinds, garlic salt and olive oil..again with the mortar and pestal ...and then serve it as is ..just like you said in a pile...

I dont know if this is authentic but it is how I learned to make it

Dumb question....Are the pork rinds already deep fried when you pound em with the rest ?

Bud

OMG mofongo and baked pork chops was my favorite dinner that my grandfather made when I was growing up.

In Puerto Rico the traditional recipe is to fry the plantain pieces first and then mash them. It is not creamy. There are variations, of course, and I'm not disputing anyone's recipe.

Here is our family's recipe for Mofongo:

1. The plaintains must be green green green (totally unripe).

2. The mortar and pestle are made of wood and about 6 inches diameter and 6 inches deep, at least.

3. Peel and cut 3 green plantains on the diagonal into pieces about 2 inches thick and soak in 4 cups water and 1 Tb salt for 15 minutes.

4. Dry slices well and fry in oil (about 300 deg F) until cooked and golden, but not crispy, about 15 minutes.

5.In the mortar crush 3 cloves garlic and 1 TB olive oil and take out and reserve.

6. Add about 3 plantain pieces to the mortar, start mashing and add part of the chicharron, and some of the garlic/oil mixture. Add the rest of the plantain and chicharron. If it doesn't all fit you can mash half and then the other half. As you mash, the mass of mofongo will come up the sides of the mortar and just fold it back into the bowl. Salt to taste. Depending on how much oil was on the plantains, you may want to add little extra olive oil to the mofongo as you mash it. (You could also add broth instead of the oil, or for part)

7. We always scooped it with an ice cream scoop.

8. Can also use crumbled crispy bacon instead of the chicharron. The chicharron or bacon is to taste, 1/2 to 1 cup for the 3 plantains.

9. As with any grandfather/grandmother recipe, the amounts are approximate and he never measured anything.

p.s. the porkchops were marinated and baked slowly and I can't make them any more because pork now is so lean :angry:

• 2 years later...