• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancid Brown Rice?

Soup

I bought about a year ago 10lbs of brown rice. I'm down to the last 2 lbs and am cooking it right now. However, when I opened my storage canaster, it smelled a bit off.

So the question is does brown rice go bad? Can it still be cooked and eaten? I hate to throw out rice.

Soup

Yes, it goes bad, and pretty quickly, too. Best advice is to keep it in the refrigerator. It's "safe" to eat inasmuch as it won't give you food poisoning, but when fats go rancid they undergo changes that are not healthful. If I were you, I'd toss it. Why waste an opportunity to eat something good by eating something bad?

This is very helpful.  does this also apply to nuts and beans/lentils? 

I keep a lot of nuts (I buy them raw and roast it myself) and I have a lot of beans I store in the pantry.

Nuts for sure. Beans and lentils, not so much - thought keeping any natural product may lead to some interesting pantry experiments :smile: . I've had a pantry full of little visitors recently, and now any beans, lentils, barley, etc. goes into proper storage containers - this keeps whatever might germinate confined to it's container before it can spread to everything.

I store nuts in the freezer, same as whole wheat flour, rye flour, etc.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This is very helpful.  does this also apply to nuts and beans/lentils? 

This applies to nuts times two! Learned that the hard way. Nuts have way more oils than whole grains. I now freeze my nuts and I've never had them go rancid on me again.