• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Food Scene 2008

rgruby

Wow, been over two weeks since there's been anything posted in this forum.

Don't think I've ever seen it this slow.

So, just for fun, I'll ask what you want to see in the TO food scene in the coming year.

I'll start by saying I want to see the expanded street food initiative actually get off the ground so we can eat something other than the ubiquitous smog dogs from a street vendor.

I'd also like to see some more ethnic Chinese joints, especially in the main Chinatown.

I also hope the trend towards local continues gathering steam, and that the major supermarkets get on board to a greater degree.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

(I think this is a great thread idea)

I'd like to see more options for dining out late. Similarly, more options on Sundays (and Mondays?) would be great.

I'd love to see quality food back in downtown/Spadina Chinatown. Don't think it will ever happen again though.

I hope some new ramen shops open in Toronto. And izakaya joints too maybe.

raw milk: I don't personally feel strongly about the product, but I'd like the idea of it being made legal.

I think it'd really cool if tea received more attention in restaurants (I don't mean afternoon tea). Certainly it'll always take a back seat to wine, but just because it comes after dinner, doesn't mean it has to be an afterthought.

Edited by Endy' (log)

I would like to see better neigbourhood, weekend farmer's market. Celebrating the season's abundance.The last few farmer's market I've gone to are riddled wth spots run by people who typically just buys produce from the food terminal and sells it under the pretence of "Ontario grown". Walk to the back of thier truck and piled the boxes would read, product of Mexico, Costa Rica, Product of Panama or product of USA....Disappointing.

Yes, with the new street foods laws and our cultural diversity, it will be a very interesting mix of what will soon be available to food fanatics.

Check out iNoodle on Bloor, between Euclid and Palmerston.  Opened in the past few months and is a fine fine ramen spot.

thanks for the tip, I'll try it and report back (come to think of it, there's another noodle place in that stretch that I've been meaning to try too)! Is it Japanese or more of a Korean style?

will the michelin guide ever come to toronto?

not in 2008

either way there's probably only a handful of restaurants that would get a star let alone multiple stars so at this point it probably isn't worth michelin's time

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

I would like to see better neigbourhood, weekend farmer's market. Celebrating the season's abundance.The last few farmer's market I've gone to are riddled wth spots run by people who typically just buys produce from the food terminal and sells it under the pretence of "Ontario grown". Walk to the back of thier truck and piled the boxes would read, product of Mexico, Costa Rica, Product of Panama or product of USA....Disappointing.

Yes, with the new street foods laws and our cultural diversity, it will be a very interesting mix of what will soon be available to food fanatics.

Fugu, please don't give up on farmers' markets. Yes, there are a few resellers at some of the markets, but if you get to know the vendors, you'll find it very easy to spot the impostors. And speaking with farmers and food artisans who are selling the products they've personally raised, grown or produced is an absolute treat!

Restaurants with communal tables (like at Le Pain Quotidien, which is coming to Toronto soon), where it’s okay to enjoy a pleasant chat with strangers over dinner. If I’m dining alone, I don’t always want to sit at some small table with a book, or sit at the bar with my back to the room and staring at the bartender, the silent TV, the loud drinkers, etc. Or worse, get the food to go in those sad styrofoam/aluminum containers...

A Scandinavian restaurant. As far as I know, all we have is the IKEA cafeteria.

An Indonesian restaurant.

I, too, am eagerly waiting for that whole street food thing to finally get going!

Edited by cherrypi (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this back up.

first, re: Michelin. Hmmm, I don't think we'll be seeing them anytime soon. As stated above, just not enough (any?) that would qualify. On food alone, there might be a handful. I'll leave it at that.

second. re: my wish for more regional Chinese. there was an article in the Star a week or two ago about just that. I haven't had a chance to look at it again - all the places mentioned were in the burbs - but I still have it. Will return to this thread with the paper in hand and fill in some gaps.

Re: the other cuisines mentioned, namely Indonesian and scandinavian/Swedish - I started a thread here many moons ago titled underrepresented cuisines (or something along those lines) in TO. Those two would definitely qualify. There was an Indonesian place named Garuda on Yonge near Wellesley about a decade ago but it is long gone. there was another, but I forget where. Anybody know if it still exists?

Re: the street food debacle. Last I heard this was about to be turned into a real disaster by City Hall regarding who should design the carts. Um, city government, get out of the freaking way here - let the vendors figure out and design/build a cart for their particular type of food. Help them out figuring out what is required to meet the provincial health codes and then - get out of the F'ing way. A one cart for all possibilities is NOT going to work.

And let me buy some tlacoyos, or whatever. But I'd really like some tlacoyos.

Sorry, this is looking like a complete disaster and I strongly doubt we're going to see anything on our streets this year.

Let's not end on that downcast note. What positive in the TO food scene this year?

second. re: my wish for more regional Chinese. there was an article in the Star a week or two ago about just that. I haven't had a chance to look at it again - all the places mentioned were in the burbs - but I still have it. Will return to this thread with the paper in hand and fill in some gaps.

I went to Ba Shu Ren Jia a few weeks back and quite liked it. It's a Sichuan (Scheweztuzeuwhatever) restaurant; I don't know if that qualifies as interesting regional, but it was MARKEDLY different than what usually passes for Sichuan food in Toronto (generic Chinese or chop suey with hot peppers).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/endy_/sets/72157603849281275/

it is, of course, in the suburbs.

• 3 weeks later...