• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Professional oven

Chufi

We're moving to a new apartment in 2 months. My new kitchen will have a dishwasher (I'm 38 and have NEVER had a dishwasher :shock: ), a gorgeous view from the 7th floor overlooking 2 canals, stainless steel worktops which is new to me and not something I would have chosen but I'm okay with it. There's a good gas hob but the only oven is what's called a "combi-microwave" over here: basically a microwave that also has an oven function. It's tiny, built into the kitchen and ofcourse, not sufficient for my baking needs!

So I need to get an extra oven, but not a whole stove because the cooker is already there. Most ovens you can buy at kitchen stores are either freestanding with gasrange on top, or made to be built into the kitchen. I don't want either of those options. What I want is a freestanding oven that I can put on a small table or shelf, because I'm really fond of having my oven at eye-level.

It turns out there are ovens like that, but they're made for the professional market. They look very basic and plain, which is fine by me. Right now I'm looking at this model:

this one second one from the top. It's a fan oven but you can turn the fan off, and it also has a grill. It says this oven is for use in cafetarias, and gasstations :biggrin: but with the temp ranging from 100 to 300 C, I see no reason why this could not be used in a home kitchen.

What do you think? Does anyone have any experience with a professional oven for home use?

Edited by Chufi (log)

Well my only observation for you is that often commercial ovens need commercial hook ups. Most often you cannot just install them into residential outlets that are already in place. So you would want to clear that with all the powers that be. That your home is rated properly for the extra energy coming into it and going into the oven. That the commercial hookups can be installed if they are needed. Another factor is that commercial equipment (in America anyway) is built to go under the fire hoods and chemical sprinkler systems. So those are some areas I would consider before purchasing.

But the closest I've gotten to Europe it that my kids have been there. So that's what I know about trying to do that in America. Fwiw.

I'm excited about your new dishwasher!!! And a new oven and stainless steel table tops sound aweseme too.

Edited to say: I have two commercial ovens, gass and electric that have never been hooked up in my home due to zoning issues. They attract clutter like magnets as well as have become handsome dust collectors. :rolleyes:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I have had a Cadco commercial oven for years. It takes three half-size sheet pans without the oven racks in place or any baking dish or pan can be placed onto the shelves and even my huge 13.5 qt Staub oval oven will fit into it, although a bit tight.

gallery_17399_60_125160.jpg

I think it is very similar to the oven you pictured.

You do not need special hookups for it, it works off regular house current.

special hookups are needed for gas ovens that require a larger gas line. I did have a Blodgett commercial oven but no longer.

Waring also makes a similar convection oven:

This 1.5 cu. ft. is probably similar to the one you saw.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We're moving to a new apartment in 2 months. My new kitchen will have a dishwasher (I'm 38 and have NEVER had a dishwasher  :shock: ), a gorgeous view from the 7th floor overlooking 2 canals, stainless steel worktops which is new to me and not something I would have chosen but I'm okay with it. There's a good gas hob but the only oven is what's called a "combi-microwave" over here: basically a microwave that also has an oven function. It's tiny, built into the kitchen and ofcourse, not sufficient for my baking needs!

So I need to get an extra oven, .... Right now I'm looking at this model:

this one second one from the top. It's a fan oven but you can turn the fan off, and it also has a grill. It says this oven is for use in cafetarias, and gasstations  :biggrin: but with the temp ranging from 100 to 300 C, I see no reason why this could not be used in a home kitchen.

A combi is a whole lot more useful than a plain microwave taking up the exact same space! I survived (in a little style) with one for a couple of years.

The oven indicated, at 220v and 2.6kw, will plug straight in to a UK domestic socket -- hence I'm pretty sure it would do in Holland too.

2.6 kw isn't much power for an oven...

It does seem expensive, though.

A warning: in the UK, "commercial" equipment is generally priced *before* adding on the VAT - I'll let you check the Dutch "small print"!

Anyway, be careful it isn't even more expensive than you expect.

If you have room for that thing, do you have room for a standard oven housing, to take a normal (single) oven?

It'd be cheaper, more powerful, though therefore likely needing a pro to do the electrical installation. The housing wouldn't need much physical installation to safely secure it...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Ummm.... since when do NFPA codes apply in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Europe? :smile:

In the UK (and I suspect elsewhere in the EU), because of Health and Safety at Work legislation, any legal/admin problems would more likely occur the other way round - with using domestic equipment (mixers and slicers lacking safety guards and interlocks, etc) in a commercial environment!

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Its not like she is putting a Garland Range in a 4th fl apartment...this thing is just a giant toaster oven

One of my last cooking jobs we needed one of these ovens, and since the Pro one was 3,000 dollars and the Consumer one was 300 dollars we figured it would be very cost effective to get the consumer model, or 10 if need be. I made cakes and meatloaf and bread puddings in while I was there.

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have had a Cadco commercial oven for years.  It takes three half-size sheet pans without the oven racks in place or any baking dish or pan can be placed onto the shelves and even my huge 13.5 qt  Staub oval oven will fit into it, although a bit tight.

gallery_17399_60_125160.jpg

I think it is very similar to the oven you pictured.

You do not need special hookups for it, it works off regular house current.

special hookups are needed for gas ovens that require a larger gas line.  I did have a Blodgett commercial oven but no longer.

Waring also makes a similar convection oven:

This 1.5 cu. ft. is probably similar to the one you saw.

I've been wanting to get a Cadco for some time now. Do you know how many amps the oven draws? I'm getting close to overloading my circuit and am trying to figure out how to balance my kitchen power.

I've been wanting to get a Cadco for some time now.  Do you know how many amps the oven draws?  I'm getting close to overloading my circuit and am trying to figure out how to balance my kitchen power.

According to their website, 12 amps.

And say hello to my lil' Cadco -- always looking for an opportunity to show it off!

gallery_7232_4006_576770.jpg

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Lovely! And cleaner than mine.

Since my previous housekeeper departed for Italy, mine does not get cleaned quite as throughly or as often!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've been wanting to get a Cadco for some time now.  Do you know how many amps the oven draws?  I'm getting close to overloading my circuit and am trying to figure out how to balance my kitchen power.

And say hello to my lil' Cadco -- always looking for an opportunity to show it off!

I must add my joyous love of the Cadco OV-350. I recently got rid of my hulking Duke full size convection oven. I now have two of the OV-350 model as my only ovens. What a joy to cook with! I couldn't imagine going back to a consumer oven.

There's this Cusinart Brick Oven which is a table top model that might be what you are looking for:

Cusinart Brick Oven

We're moving to a new apartment in 2 months. My new kitchen will have a dishwasher (I'm 38 and have NEVER had a dishwasher  :shock: ), a gorgeous view from the 7th floor overlooking 2 canals, stainless steel worktops which is new to me and not something I would have chosen but I'm okay with it. There's a good gas hob but the only oven is what's called a "combi-microwave" over here: basically a microwave that also has an oven function. It's tiny, built into the kitchen and ofcourse, not sufficient for my baking needs!

So I need to get an extra oven, but not a whole stove because the cooker is already there. Most ovens you can buy at kitchen stores are either freestanding with gasrange on top, or made to be built into the kitchen. I don't want either of those options. What I want is a freestanding oven that I can put on a small table or shelf, because I'm really fond of having my oven at eye-level.

It turns out there are ovens like that, but they're made for the professional market. They look very basic and plain, which is fine by me. Right now I'm looking at this model:

this one second one from the top. It's a fan oven but you can turn the fan off, and it also has a grill. It says this oven is for use in cafetarias, and gasstations  :biggrin: but with the temp ranging from 100 to 300 C, I see no reason why this could not be used in a home kitchen.

What do you think? Does anyone have any experience with a professional oven for home use?

I saw a Cuisinart brick oven demo and the interior - which is supposed to be 0.9 cu ft., is not very practical as a substitute for a traditional oven and is not a professional appliance.

The demo displayed a pie in an 8-inch pan and a previously-baked loaf of bread in a 9 x 4.5 inch pan (not shown in the oven) and a very small pizza that was perhaps baked directly on the stone. I didn't measure it, but I have a pretty good eye and it looked less than 12 inches in diameter to me.

I checked to see if it was available in Europe and did not see it listed but I only looked on one site.

Thanks, all, for the input.

The Cuisinart brick oven looks cute but tiny! What I´m looking for is a regular sized oven - ie what would be considered regular sized here in the Netherlands. The size you would find as part of a whole stove, underneath your gas cooker. I´m sorry if I did not make myself very clear, English gets more difficult when technical terms are required :smile:

The professional oven is expensive and I think I have to consider if getting some kind of regular oven, and having it built into the kitchen, would not work out cheaper than the professional one. The regular ones I've seen are all 3.00 kW. Is the difference between 2.6 and 3.0 kW of any importance?

I must add my joyous love of the Cadco OV-350. I recently got rid of my hulking Duke full size convection oven. I now have two of the OV-350 model as my only ovens. What a joy to cook with! I couldn't imagine going back to a consumer oven.

ok I'm getting more confused now.. does it say UNOX on this oven? cause that's one of the brands of professional ovens I've been looking at.

Also.. what do you mean by consumer oven? Would that be the opposite of what I've been calling an professional oven?

Cadco is also Unox.

The ovens range from the large, combi ovens that cost thousands to the little 1/4 sheet pan countertop.

The one I have is the 1/2 sheet pan size.

Cadco ovens

Here is one of the big ones Cadco Unox steam combi oven

They are made to take a beating and will outlast the regular consumer ovens. Because they are self-contained, they do NOT require special insulation or fireproof backing as long as one maintains the recommended distance from material that might burn. Mine is on a rolling cart and the back of the oven is usually sited 6 inches from a Roman shade and in spite of extended use at high temps, there is no discoloration in the pale tints in the shade.

One of my friends who lives in Sweden has an oven that is almost identical to the one I have except the door opens to the side instead of down. This option is no longer available on the convection models in the US.