• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Fried Beer

ZenKimchi

That's interesting in a scary sort of way but, ummm, with no offense intended, isn't that actually deep fried beer batter? It sounds a lot like beer battered fish minus the fish.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

There is one way to make it more like deep fried beer:

On the fist day:

1. Add a lot of gelatin to your choice of beer and place in fridge overnight.

On the second day:

2. Make a very stiff batter (almost like thick plaster)

3. Make crumbs out of chips or pretzels

4. using a melon baller, make small balls of the very stiff beer jello you should now have in the fridge.

5. Coat these balls with batter so that they are entirely covered of a fairly thick layer

6. Roll them in your chips/pretzel crumbs

7. Fry them very quickly and one or two at the time (to avoid accidents because they could leak in hot oil and cause sudden large bubbles)

8, Enjoy with more beer. The cente should now be runny.

Alternatively, you could make a beer, cheese and flour mixture instead of the gelly stuff... it is safer and better.

Good point. I honestly wasn't criticizing, I love trying to do unusual things with no real purpose other than the fun of doing it as well (For example, I made a fried egg consomme. Weird and didn't have a single practical use for it in mind but I wanted to try it and, after a few not so great attempts, succeeded). I was just thinking if we could find a way to make what you were going for more obvious in the end result it would be kinda cool (other than the general scariness of deep fried beer in the first place but that's beside the point). Maybe with the above suggested idea from magictofu but sub in gellan for the gelatin, coat in pretzel crumbs and freeze before frying quickly. Then your fried beer could potentially be crispy and hot on the outside and still have nice, cold beer on the inside.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

There is one way to make it more like deep fried beer:

On the fist day:

1. Add a lot of gelatin to your choice of beer and place in fridge overnight.

On the second day:

2. Make a very stiff batter (almost like thick plaster)

3. Make crumbs out of chips or pretzels

4. using a melon baller, make small balls of the very stiff beer jello you should now have in the fridge.

5. Coat these balls with batter so that they are entirely covered of a fairly thick layer

6. Roll them in your chips/pretzel crumbs

7. Fry them very quickly and one or two at the time (to avoid accidents because they could leak in hot oil and cause sudden large bubbles)

8, Enjoy with more beer. The cente should now be runny.

Alternatively, you could make a beer, cheese and flour mixture instead of the gelly stuff... it is safer and better.

I've been wanting to try something like this with potato foam / espumas. I can't quite figure out how to stabilize the foam enough to permit the outside to fry w/o the inside melting... Perhaps a chemical like the texturas product metil -- something that thickens at high temp but then melts again at low temps... Hmm....

jk