• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken in Indian cooking

Suvir Saran

1) I think: Tandoori and Tikka, my two very favorites.

2) Most of the time, if not all the time, the skin is removed; it's also often marinated overnight. The basic marinades often include yoghurt and various spices (cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric) along with garlic and ginger.

3) :huh: ??

I think of tandoori and tikka too. Tandoori is high on my list of all time favorite things. I also think of this probably inauthentic chicken curry, probably even calling it Indian is a stretch, but it works for me. :smile: But what first comes to mind is chicken cooked in a tomato sauce with butter, onions, garlic, cloves, cinnamon, garam masala, lemon juice, and cilantro a friend of mine taught me to make (I know I owe you a post about that, Suvir, but I'm still trying to organize my thoughts about learning to cook with my friend's family).

I think what makes Indian chicken dishes different is what makes Indian food distinct, the way so many different spices and flavors can come together without competing.

If one is eating in the traditional Indian manner, i.e. no forks, then one should remember not to use one's left hand. :wink: And try not to use too much bread otherwise you won't have enough room for all the good stuff! :laugh:

One thing I think of (and I know that this is by no means the whole story) is recipes so complex and highly spiced that the flavor of the chicken virtually disappears -- which allows a dish to be made with a battery-raised chicken which had no flavor in the first place. It's the Emperor's New Clothes in reverse -- the clothing is magnificent, but there's no Emperor! :biggrin:

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

If one is eating in the traditional Indian manner, i.e. no forks, then one should remember not to use one's left hand.  :wink:  And try not to use too much bread otherwise you won't have enough room for all the good stuff!  :laugh:

Interesting that you bring this up. It takes me to situations where I have had friends visiting from India over for dinner with friends of mine that live here. It is always interesting for me to look at the faces of my Indian friends as t hey see my American friends eat breads. They have a look of horror.

In India there is an understood etiquette about how to eat bread. It is not something we are trained in school, but it comes to us as naturally as eating with chopsticks would be for a Chinese. Breads are prepared for two purposes, one to further enrich a meal and menu and secondly to give the diner a vehicle to use in their enjoyment of food.

Indians break the chapatis (flat bread) into small pieces (called tukra, gussa, gilori in hindi) that are often no more than an inch or an inch and a half in size. These are then shaped with the fingers of the right hand into cones that lift the sauce, meats, veggies and condiments either separately or together and are then savored in one bite. This makes the art of eating with ones hand both attractive and practical.

What is most important to me is that it also keeps your bread intake at a minimum and so one can enjoy a meal that is not overwhelmed by breads and yet has the added complexity given by the addition of breads.

Personally, I am not one to eat too much bread. I find myself too full after having eaten too much bread. It is for that reason that many non-Indians find themselves over stuffed after an Indian meal.

Indians break the chapatis (flat bread) into small pieces (called tukra, gussa, gilori in hindi) that are often no more than an inch or an inch and a half in size.  These are then shaped with the fingers of the right hand into cones that lift the sauce, meats, veggies and condiments either separately or together and are then savored in one bite.  This makes the art of eating with ones hand both attractive and practical.

And it's much more difficult than it sounds!

Indians break the chapatis (flat bread) into small pieces (called tukra, gussa, gilori in hindi) that are often no more than an inch or an inch and a half in size.  These are then shaped with the fingers of the right hand into cones that lift the sauce, meats, veggies and condiments either separately or together and are then savored in one bite.   This makes the art of eating with ones hand both attractive and practical.

It is second nature to most of us Indians. It seems easy. But I think after maybe a night or two of dining with an Indian, it is something one can easily pick up. No brain science to it. :wink:

No it isn't. Just observe a native - It is easy after that. Just like chopsticks, I learnt to observe and then imitate :smile:

Okay, but how long did it take you before you stopped needing twice as much bread as they did? :biggrin:

No it isn't. Just observe a native - It is easy after that. Just like chopsticks, I learnt to observe and then imitate :smile:

Okay, but how long did it take you before you stopped needing twice as much bread as they did? :biggrin:

Never, I'm the native :wink:

anil

How would you butcher the chicken?

Someone had PM'd me asking this question.  I was reading the PM When it got erased and lost somehow.. and now I cannot find the PM or remember the name of the member.

I am sorry!

We usually do skin the chicken.

Most homes would serve chicken bone in.

Chicken is cut into 8-10 pieces.

Yes, that was me. I was quite curious if they whack up chickens in India as they do in Thailand -- sort of a "big" dice (like 2" pieces) with no real regard for a "neat" cut like is usually done in the U. S. Our cook in Thailand believed that if one didn't "open" up the bone, you would not get as much flavor.

I also assume that in India, chicken is usually cooked with the skin on.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Yes, that was me.  I was quite curious if they whack up chickens in India as they do in Thailand -- sort of a "big" dice (like 2" pieces) with no real regard for a "neat" cut like is usually done in the U. S.  Our cook in Thailand believed that if one didn't "open" up the bone, you would not get as much flavor.

I also assume that in India, chicken is usually cooked with the skin on.

We believe quite the opposite for the most part. We belive the bone gives a lot of flavor.

And in India we tend to skin the chicken for most recipes.

There are some tandoor (grilled) reciped where the skin is left on.. and they are very few as well.

A friend from Kerala said to me that she uses the skins to throw into the preparation of chicken stock. They add it to the bones that are already in the pot. Makes for good flavoring in the stock used for Bone Soup.

For the most part, I have only seen the skin tossed.

Suvir, what are Indian chicken stocks like? Is this the appropriate place to ask? Or on the Chicken Stock thread?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Suvir, what are Indian chicken stocks like? Is this the appropriate place to ask? Or on the Chicken Stock thread?

Maybe we should do it on the chicken stock thread we already have.

Stocks are not too common in Indian food.

They have found their way over the years.. and are based mostly on what has been discussed in that thread.... But I will give more thought.. call my mom and grandma.. and see what they have to share.

Stocks may not be part of the Indian cusine ( apart from Goa ) but broths are.

I recall when staying in Calcutta, I became very ill after a meal at The Sky Rooms and could not eat for days. To keep my strength up, i was fed a variety of chicken or lamb based broths which were clear, hot and sour.

I think the base was made of ginger, turmeric ( root rather than powder ) and chilli which was sweated off with some chicken or lamb bones. The sourness came from tamarind pulp or juice. It was poured over small chunks of cooked chicken and some scallions

It was a wonderful restorative and I think could make the base of a wonderful stock

S

Stocks may not be part of the Indian cusine ( apart from Goa ) but broths are.

I recall when staying in Calcutta, I became very ill after a meal at The Sky Rooms and could not eat for days.  To keep my strength up, i was fed a variety of chicken or lamb based broths which were clear, hot and sour. 

I think the base was made of ginger, turmeric ( root rather than powder ) and chilli which was sweated off with some chicken or lamb bones.  The sourness came from tamarind pulp or juice.  It was poured over small chunks of cooked chicken and some scallions

It was a wonderful restorative and I think could make the base of a wonderful stock

S

Correct... this is what is called Bone Soup.

• 2 weeks later...
1)  I think: Tandoori and Tikka, my two very favorites.

1) Where do you get these favorites?

2) Do you ever make them at home?

3) What makes a certain tandoori better than another? And the same for Tikka, please.

I apologize for the delayed response, Suvir.

1) We have a few good Indian restaurants where I live.

2) However, I much prefer cooking and eating Indian dishes at home.

3) For both, Tandoori and Tikka, THE MARINADE. A perfect balance in the spices used in the marinade is key. Marination time is a second important point. I like to marinate overnight and even up to two days.

1)  I think: Tandoori and Tikka, my two very favorites.

1) Where do you get these favorites?

2) Do you ever make them at home?

3) What makes a certain tandoori better than another? And the same for Tikka, please.

I apologize for the delayed response, Suvir.

1) We have a few good Indian restaurants where I live.

2) However, I much prefer cooking and eating Indian dishes at home.

3) For both, Tandoori and Tikka, THE MARINADE. A perfect balance in the spices used in the marinade is key. Marination time is a second important point. I like to marinate overnight and even up to two days.

Recipes to share with us all?

Nothing like homemade food....

I have been known myself to marinade upto two days.. and 4 days for lamb.... :wink:

What do you think of when thinking chicken and Indian food?

What makes Indian food preparations of chicken different from other cuisines?

What should one keep in mind when eating Indian style chicken dishes?

I created this recipe when I was pregnant. I had been craving a black pepper taste and chicken but I could not find anything that tasted right. Finally, after many trials, success!

6 chicken thighs or drumsticks, skinned

2 tablespoons / 25 mL vegetable oil

1 large onion, thinly sliced

1/4 cup / 60 mL fat-free sour cream

1/4 cup / 60 mL fat-free plain yogurt

1/4 cup / 60 mL lemon juice

2-1/2 teaspoons / 10 mL garam masala

1/2 teaspoon / 2 mL turmeric

Salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C. Cut shallow incisions in the chicken to help the spices sink in.

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onions and sauté until light brown. Add the chicken and sauté, turning once, until the chicken is half cooked, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a bowl combine the sour cream, yogurt, lemon juice, garam masala, turmeric, and salt. Mix to a smooth paste. Pour over the sauteed chicken and the onions, turning to coat.

Transfer coated chicken along with any remaining marinade to a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.

Variations: If you find garam masala too pungent for your taste, you can use ground white pepper.

Tips: This dish does not freeze well because of the yogurt and sour cream. But it will keep in the fridge for a few days and makes delicious leftovers