• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you say pork belly in French?

You might wish to explain that you need Lardons. Which is essentially unsmoked pork belly. In most cases you can use some meaty fatback. But if you are making cassoulet, the belly works best.

Or.... you can try a butcher who does know. The guys at Fairmount Butcher on St. Laurent near Schwartz's are the gods of all things pork.

Hi all!

I need to know how to ask my butcher for pork belly ASAP!

Also, does anyone know if Berkshire pork is available in Montreal?

Thanks!

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

You might wish to explain that you need Lardons. Which is essentially unsmoked pork belly.

Hi all!

Also, does anyone know if Berkshire pork is available in Montreal?

Thanks!

lardons are only one of many cuts available from pork belly

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Hi all!

Thanks!

If you have an Asian store with a meat counter, there will likely be a pile of pork bellies, for less than $4/lb. All you have to do is point :raz:

Edited by jayt90 (log)

Hi all!

Thanks!

If you have an Asian store with a meat counter, there will likely be a pile of pork bellies, for less than $4/lb. All you have to do is point :raz:

KV on St Laurent just above LaGauchetiere (Kien Vinh, I think). Loads of pork products in the meat case (bellies, nice hocks, trimmed leg parts), cheap, and good. I've used a few bellies from here to make bacon. Oh, they don't care if you speak french or english (actually I don't think they understand either...not that this is a bad thing...).

I actually went to that grocery in Chinatown last night and, no, I don't think they speak either language. I kept asking the guy the weight of the piece in English and French and got no response. No matter, I got my pork!

Thanks for you help guys!

-Porkelle

That's curious, the thread below, marked eating Chinese in MTL discusses Momofuko pork buns at length, but you probably already know that...

Since we're talking about something close to my heart, if you like Chinese Roast pork, may I suggest epiceree Sun Sing Lee (or some variation of those words). On the south side of Lagauchetiere between Clark and St. Urbain roughly across from the 7-day buffet.

This guy does his own whole hogs. Just ask him and he'll proudly show you his brick-lined oven in the back.

For our christmas party, I had ordered a whole one, deboned, chopped, and arranged on my supplied platters. Crispy skin, sumptious meat...ohhh boy. He also does ducks, chicken, pigs knuckles, BBQ pork, etc etc.

That's curious, the thread below, marked eating Chinese in MTL discusses Momofuko pork buns at length, but you probably already know that...

Since we're talking about something close to my heart, if you like Chinese Roast pork, may I suggest epiceree Sun Sing Lee (or some variation of those words). On the south side of Lagauchetiere between Clark and St. Urbain roughly across from the 7-day buffet.

This guy does his own whole hogs. Just ask him and he'll proudly show you his brick-lined oven in the back.

For our christmas party, I had ordered a whole one, deboned, chopped, and arranged on my supplied platters. Crispy skin, sumptious meat...ohhh boy. He also does ducks, chicken, pigs knuckles, BBQ pork, etc etc.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely check it out. I am also a porkophile!

Almost any of this stuff makes a great accompaniment when going to a party. Including the roast duck, chicken, pork, and boneless pig knuckle - they even slice it up for you. Only thing, he doesn't do cuttlefish, which you can pick up on St. Laurent. Voila, a last minute master platter!