• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Did I just mulch my Kitchenaid?

Dave Weinstein

I was making a batch of sausage tonight, and when it came to the paddling stage, I guess the paddle didn't lock in. It looked snugged in, but when I was done, and dropped the bowl back down, the paddle dropped straight out, and the top of it was chewed up (bits of enamel in the meat).

Obviously, the paddle is toast, as is the sausage. But, looking at the underside of the thing the paddlel connects on to, it looks like there once was enamel on the bottom, but there certainly isn't in some of it now.

So, while I wait for the Kitchenaid repair center to open for phone calls in the morning, am I looking at a minor repair, or replacing the whole bloody thing?

I had a similar thing happen paddling meat, and the possible problems are myriad: a cracked interior casing, broken gears, misalignment. They'll tell you whether you need to do a quick repair or whether the motor's shot.

It's not likely to be pretty, I'll tell you.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

So, while I wait for the Kitchenaid repair center to open for phone calls in the morning, am I looking at a minor repair, or replacing the whole bloody thing?

I've been working with a chipped paddle for five years. We live.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I've been working with a chipped paddle for five years. We live.

me too ....Kitchenaid is so good about just replacing things anyway hopefully you have the same luck...I have had them send me an appliance that walked off a counter before I had a chance to send mine back!

sorry about the sausage bummer!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Kitchenaid is so good about just replacing things anyway

Does this only apply to their mixers? I had to call them on a broken drawer for my fridge that was just 2yrs old. Stupid little plastic clip broke off. They were glad to send me a replacement drawer for $100

It looks like the damage is limited to the paddle. I've ordered a new one ($15), but they are slightly backordered, so I should expect 3-4 weeks including shipping.

The other area I was worried about was the ring that surrounds the shaft (looking up from the bottom, you have the attachment shaft, which plugs into the foot, which is in a circle, etc, etc, and there is a small ring wider than the shaft itself that it sockets into).

According to Kitchenaid, that is supposed to be metal on the bottom, not enameled. It is in fact the metal ring that ground out the enamel (and some metal) at the top of the damaged paddle.

Now the only question is whether or not to use the damaged paddle while I wait for the replacement.

Depending on the model of mixer you have, you might be able to find a new paddle locally. I bought a new dough hook and paddle last night at Bed, Bath and Beyond, each one was a little over $11.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Wow - to own a KA is almost a cult. I know, mine is with me 30 years - it traveled in a u-haul to Mexico and back. I bought it when you had the chose of colors - white or white. It still runs - just knocked out a cheese cake tonight. Ya - its a cult - and yes I have replaced the paddle, bowl mount and foot pads. Its noisy - but it runs.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Wow - to own a KA is almost a cult.  I know, mine is with me 30 years - it traveled in a u-haul to Mexico and back. I bought it when you had the chose of colors - white or white.  It still runs - just knocked out a cheese cake tonight.  Ya - its a cult - and yes I have replaced the paddle, bowl mount and foot pads.  Its noisy - but it runs.

Jmahl

There IS a KA cult; some of its members actually list all their collection of machines when they post in the KA forums!

Wow - to own a KA is almost a cult.  I know, mine is with me 30 years - it traveled in a u-haul to Mexico and back. I bought it when you had the chose of colors - white or white.  It still runs - just knocked out a cheese cake tonight.  Ya - its a cult - and yes I have replaced the paddle, bowl mount and foot pads.  Its noisy - but it runs.

Jmahl

There IS a KA cult; some of its members actually list all their collection of machines when they post in the KA forums!

:unsure:

Oh, Oh!

I didn't know I had joined a cult! :blink:

I am leoladysw on the KA forum.......

Maybe soon they will ask me to to drink koolaid, and go to the great beyond with Jim and his friends....... :shock:

• 3 months later...

Well, in retrospect, I think I mulched it.

Under load, it appears to shed small amounts of fine metal shavings. So something is grinding.

Is it wrong that this time I checked to see if any of the shavings appeared to have gone anywhere but on the very top of the new paddle, and salvaged the sausage? If it is wrong, is it dangerous?

I'm leaning strongly towards the Kitchenaid 610 from Williams Sonoma, because their price isn't that much more than Amazon's on the 600, and it includes a lifetime warranty.

(Sigh)

Even though the amount of contamination was likely miniscule, and even though I already ate the test patties, two of the three batches of sausage are now in the trash. It just kept bothering me.

For the third, we improvised a plastic shield mounted on the paddle to catch anything that fell.

Naturally, the two batches that have gone the way of all things mortal were the better batches (Maple Rosemary Breakfast Patties with Applewood Smoke Salt, and Cumin and Porter Sausage Links).

Even though the amount of contamination was likely miniscule...

Sadly, I think you did the right thing dumping anything potentially contaminated. (Just in case you were having ANY doubts!)

The odd batch of sausage is absolutely nothing compared to health.

That said, I think I'd have mixed the third batch by hand... :huh:

As regards a replacement (assuming - it isn't automatic - that the current machine is beyond economic repair), do at least consider an Electrolux DLX. Very robust and well able to handle stiff mixes.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Well, the Williams-Sonoma store just told me they don't do lifetime warranties anymore ("it's the product lifetime, not your lifetime"), so I'll probably take advantage of Amazon Prime.

If I don't get another Kitchenaid, I also need to replace the accessories, and since I'm also replacing a rock retaining wall today, that's just a bit too much, I think.

In the "once burned, twice shy" school of thought, it appears that Costco does do a lifetime "you have a problem with it, bring it back, we'll make it right" policy that covers mixers and doesn't even require you to hold the receipt.

Costco over lunch it is.

Point taken about the investment in attachments directing you towards staying with KitchenAid.

However, what about fixing the current one?

This site offers parts for sale (my guess is you might need a $20 replacement "planetary" assembly) AND a *free* download of a service manual...

http://www.mendingshed.com/kitaidparts.html

Now, if only the same was available for Kenwood...

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I now have a new Kitchenaid from Costco.

I have saved the old one, if only because I may want to do something fun with the motor at a later date.

[Also two chickens, about 4 lbs of cheese, and a big bag of Vidalia onions, because, well, I was at Costco]

Edited by Dave Weinstein (log)

I suppose I am a cult member. I do own a "few" KAs and have owned several more that have been passed on to others as gifts. I kept the special ones.

I think AmbrosiaFood has the same really special ones.

And if you think the more recent ones are heavy, you should try to lift a Model H, or even the Model G without sustaining a hernia.

KA history

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Dave, ask to speak to the manager of that W-S. If they won't help you, ask for her district manager. The people you dealt with just did not want to see their return count get higher that day. Also, this is the usual time of year when the stores have their KA contest. They lose contest points, and prizes if they take back certain merch. Often, the employees will refuse to do many returns and offer lame excuses.

Oh, go put on your big girl panties and just DEAL with it!

Dave, ask to speak to the manager of that W-S. If they won't help you, ask for her district manager. The people you dealt with just did not want to see their return count get higher that day. Also, this is the usual time of year when the stores have their KA contest. They lose contest points, and prizes if they take back certain merch. Often, the employees will refuse to do many returns  and offer lame excuses.

The thing was, I didn't buy my Kitchenaid from W-S. I was asking because I was looking to see where I was buying my next one.

I settled on Costco, because I know what their policy is.