• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

locavoracious in Montreal

True Cue

I plan to visit Montreal in early February, staying at the Opus Montreal on the corner of Sherbrooke Street and St.-Laurent Boulevard. My goal is to eat, drink and think like a locavore the whole time I'm there, preferably putting nothing in my mouth that wasn't grown or harvested within 100 miles of where I put my head down on the pillow. I'm hoping that other serious eaters will share with me the tastiest local specialties they know about that are made from local produce and ingredients and are hopefully within walking distance. Since I tend to put right much into my mouth over a day's time, I hope to walk off what I eat. I've already identified Poutine, Smoked meat sandwich, Tourtiere, local lamb, Lac Brome confit de canard, cidre de glace, microbrews, raw-milk cheeses, egg bagels, tarte au sucre, creton, beef cheeks and blood sausage. What else? And where should I go to get them?

Be sure not to miss the Atwater Market (Marche Atwater), conveniently located near the Atwater Metro stop. The people working there really know their products.

Good wine is a necessity of life for me. --Thomas Jefferson

• 1 month later...

While i haven't asked where they get their ducks, and a lot of the stuff is frozen, Boucherie Westmount's price on confit a canard is much better than the name branded Lac Brome.

granted, i'm more likely to buy a whole bird to get the job done.

Has anyone else seen the Lac Brome flagship store on St Laurent? I don't get up there except for evening concerts and the like so it hasn't been open, and what with the work on the street all summer.

I take it you're no longer in our sweet little town now that it's march, but as a general topic this seems useful.