• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fancy Food Stores / restos Bedford Hills area

ewindels

A colleague at work has just had back surgery and is bed-ridden for the next 3 - 4 weeks. She lives in Bedford Hills / Croton-on-Hudson. We'd like to send her and her family dinner at home every night next week, but so far the options are pretty grim: A&P, Basco's, Shop Rite. Would locals be able to recommend a high-ish end food store, or a good local restaurant, or catering company, who could deliver dinner for two adults and two kids for five consecutive weeknights?

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

A colleague at work has just had back surgery and is bed-ridden for the next 3 - 4 weeks.  She lives in Bedford Hills / Croton-on-Hudson.  We'd like to send her and her family dinner at home every night next week, but so far the options are pretty grim: A&P, Basco's, Shop Rite.  Would locals be able to recommend a high-ish end food store, or a good local restaurant, or catering company, who could deliver dinner for two adults and two kids for five consecutive weeknights?

If you're willing to extend that to Chappaqua/Mt. Kisco, I've got lots of suggestions. Only issue is delivery. Is it absolutely necessary? If not, I have some great takeout/gourmet-to-go suggestions. If so, try Susan Lawrence in Chappaqua. They're primarily a caterer but does a brisk takeout business as well. No doubt they could set up a delivery.

Hope your colleague isn't in too much pain -- and if she is, she gets the good meds!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Thanks, FFB. Yes, delivery a must: she's literally bed-ridden, and the whole point is to eliminate as much of the work as possible, i.e. have the food delivered to their door step. I'll look into that option you mentioned.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

Thanks, FFB.  Yes, delivery a must: she's literally bed-ridden, and the whole point is to eliminate as much of the work as possible, i.e. have the food delivered to their door step.  I'll look into that option you mentioned.

I'm sorry I haven't looked back here, ewindels. How did it go? I thought that if you or someone else could pick up/deliver food, there would be more places to choose from.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office