• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If Calcium Gluconate + Calcium Lactate =

Tri2Cook

...does anybody know if there are specific proportions? I have ~450 gr. of each on hand from some experimenting and want to combine them into "Gluco" or "Calcium Gluconate Lactate" (depending where you order it) but I can't find any information on proportions. I assume there's a reason the two are combined as the gluconate is more neutral tasting than the lactate but I've never seen mention of using the gluconate alone.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I may be misunderstanding the question, but I don't think it is just a matter of proportion. Calcium Gluconate Lactate isn't just a mix of Calcium Gluconate and Calcium Lactate but is its own salt. Weirdly, it looks like the CGL salt is much more soluble in water than either of the other salts. See e.g.

http://www.jungbunzlauer.com/media/uploads...onate_Aug02.pdf

and/or

http://www.natlife.com/PPS/CalGluLacPPS.htm

I don't know enough chemistry, though, to know whether one could easily produce the CGL salt by mixing the other two (in water, say) and then drying it and collecting the precipitates, or something. Or even if I've got any of this right. :wacko:

Good luck!

jk

Hmmm. I wonder if simply combining the two would have the same end result once dissolved in the liquid being worked with. I'm converting something that I already do without spheres to something involving spheres for a V-day thing I have going on. I'll probably just order the Calcium Gluconate Lactate and be done with it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.