• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Week Near Montparnasse - Anything Good?

tigerwoman

The Raspail market, which is a beautiful organic market on Sundays is not far.

Totally second that, obviously. And I take this opportunity to recommend Jancar in particular. On my return from Munich, I discovered that Mr Jancar senior passed away during my exile. The place apparently went into trouble, the stand is smaller and they don't accept cards anymore. But they're as nice as ever, and mostly, they have the best vegetables and fruits on that market, and kindly advise and offer tastings. Better than Thiébault, though with less choice, in my opinion.

And while you're at it, there's the great Christian Constant nearby (patisserie, rue de Fleurus), open every day. Le bistrot d'Hubert on the other side of the station (bd Pasteur) is usually much appreciated, as are the many good bistrots in the rue du Chateau. You can walk to Desnoyer while on that street for the best meat in town (www.regalez-vous.com). And at the corner of Rennes and Notre-Dame des champs (or is it?) is one of the best charcuteries in town, with top notch andouillette and boudin. Of course la Grande Epicerie au Bon Marché is always there for high end grocery, and there is the nearby Le Babylone for great lunchtime snacks, always packed. Going toward the rue de Seine and Saint Sulpice are the classic marché saint Germain, Gérard Mulot, Hermé, Ladurée, etc.

And La Rotonde is my favourite brasserie in town. La table de Fes is one of the great couscous places in town. And indeed la Cerisaie is always great. Le Duc also, big forgotten of our restaurant lists.

And of course, speaking of Edgar Quinet, you have a Chicago Pizza Pie there, so forget about all other recs ;-)

John, small? (Only joking...)

Vinotas,

1. The rue Delambre has some excellent food purveyors (including the poissonnerie mentioned by Felice) - a great cheese shop, boulangeries, and an Italian imports food store. And there is an *excellent* wine store just off the place on one end of the r. Delambre - I bought some wines from Hubert Lamy and Ghislaine Barthod recently...

The rue Daguerre, south of the cemetery. Excellent commerçants and the wine store Les Papilles (not to be confused with the restaurant of the same name in the 5th). Very organic-wine based.

2. Wine bars/restaurants - check out Natacha on the rue Campagne-Première or La Cagouille on one of those little streets off Cdt Mouchotte. Le Petit Verdot on the rue du Cherche-Midi. Millésime 62 on the place de Catalogne is pretty good, though a little too expensive for what it's worth.

3. Wine stores - See above. Also, further down the bd du Montparnasse nearer Port-Royal is a great wine store - the Grand something, I forget the name. The guy has older things stashed away in his cellar; get him talking and he'll remember certain things...

4. Cheese stores - rue Delambre.

Voilà! And don't forget to head over to the 5th sometime for some Burgundy... ;)

Oh, any nice sushi joints nearby?

Cheers!  :cool:

There are many sushi joints in the neighbourhood but the only one I like is Toritcho on 47 rue du Montparnasse (T: 0143 21 29 97). It has a Japanese sushi chef plus a Japanese sumiyaki grill chef to keep the quality above their flashier, bigger pseudo-nippon competitors. Crowded in the evenings but lunches are quieter.

Oh, any nice sushi joints nearby?

Cheers!  :cool:

There are many sushi joints in the neighbourhood but the only one I like is Toritcho on 47 rue du Montparnasse (T: 0143 21 29 97). It has a Japanese sushi chef plus a Japanese sumiyaki grill chef to keep the quality above their flashier, bigger pseudo-nippon competitors. Crowded in the evenings but lunches are quieter.

You know, I actually think I had lunch there the last time I was in Paris. I googled the place and it looks familiar. And I recall being impressed with the sushi.

Merci!

Cheers! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I will repeat something I repeatly say: one can be practically anywhere in the city in good time.  Don't be pinned down by what quartier you're in.

And have fun.

Oh, that's not going to be a problem, when you're in the wine business you can always be guaranteed a good time. But I just wanted to get any last-minute suggestions.

Oh, man, can't wait to be back in Paris!

Cheers! :cool:

• 5 months later...

We're seriously considering renting an apartment at 9 Armond Moisant, almost directly across from Montparnasse station. One of the reasons we want an apartment as opposed to returning to the great little hotel we stayed in last May in Le Marias, is so we can have a relaxed breakfast at home (on a gorgeous terrace with a ridiculous view of Paris and the Eiffel tower) but I'm wondering if there is a good boulangerie within a 5-6 minute walk of this area to run out in the morning to buy fresh croissants or a baguette to have with our coffee. I know there are a few markets fairly close by, but we really value an excellent baked good for breakfast!

We're seriously considering renting an apartment at 9 Armond Moisant, almost directly across from Montparnasse station. One of the reasons we want an apartment as opposed to returning to the great little hotel we stayed in last May in Le Marias, is so we can have a relaxed breakfast at home (on a gorgeous terrace with a ridiculous view of Paris and the Eiffel tower) but I'm wondering if there is a good boulangerie within a 5-6 minute walk of this area to run out in the morning to buy fresh croissants or a baguette to have with our coffee. I know there are a few markets fairly close by, but we really value an excellent baked good for breakfast!

For places near that location, take a look at a previous post of mine:

Good, cheap, inexpensive restaurants in Paris - Post #112

There was a nice bakery on rue Falguiere, maybe 1/2 - 1-1/2 a block or so before you get to Blvd. Pasteur. It'll be on the left. They had very good banettes.

And just on the next street over you'll find the fabulous Musee Bourdelle.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”