• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Superbowl

steakas

I'll probably get various types of opinions from asking a question like this but ... where's the best pizza in NJ? I additionally look for quality of topping.

For those of you who've gone through this, I apologize. Honestly, I didn't feel like sifting through old stuff.

Notable places I've been to were DeLorenzo's (Hudson St), Una Pizza (Pt. Pleasant) and ...

Thanks for your input!

:Dave

:D

Kinchley's Tavern in Ramsey, NJ has some of the best thin crust pizza in the entire state.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Another vote for Spiritos having very good thin crust pizza. I'm not sure its worth a long trip but if you're in the neighborhood.... They also have great ravioli.

Spiritos Restaurant

714 3rd Ave, Elizabeth, NJ 07202

(908) 351-5414

Is this it? If so, it's awful close to Staten Island. Between SI and the airport during those pick up/drop off runs. :smile:

Do they sell slices?

BTW, what is "Elizabeth's "Burg" section?"

Edited by hillbill (log)
Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Sunrays - formally of Paterson, now located just about on the train tracks in Little Falls (off Rt. 23)

best sicilian pie!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Another vote for Spiritos having very good thin crust pizza. I'm not sure its worth a long trip but if you're in the neighborhood.... They also have great ravioli.

Spiritos Restaurant

714 3rd Ave, Elizabeth, NJ 07202

(908) 351-5414

Is this it? If so, it's awful close to Staten Island. Between SI and the airport during those pick up/drop off runs. :smile:

Do they sell slices?

BTW, what is "Elizabeth's "Burg" section?"

That's it. Fairly easy on/off between SI and EWR, as you noted. In warm weather, follow the pizza with lemon ice from diCosmo's a block or two away on Second Avenue.

They don't sell slices.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

That's it. Fairly easy on/off between SI and EWR, as you noted. In warm weather, follow the pizza with lemon ice from diCosmo's a block or two away on Second Avenue.

They don't sell slices.

Just like the Denino's and Ralph's Ices combo, no? :cool:

Edited by hillbill (log)

Haven't been to any of the places recommended so far but if you are closer to central jersey I have two places for you.

Tata pizza - 208 Hamilton St New Brunswick - very flavorful sauce and an excellent slice overall.

Three brothers of Italy - off of route 9 - Lakewood, NJ - the pizza I grew up eating.

Good luck on your search

Spiritos is also my favorite. The Towne House on Main St. in Rahway and the Sun Tavern (various locations) are also very good. If you go to Spiritos, Jerry's Famous Frankfurters is a few blocks away. Like me, you might want to go there first for a hot dog appetizer. Or not.

John the hot dog guy

Can we get a county by county "best pizza" list? From my stomping ground:

Mercer--De Lorenzo's

Burlington--nothing stands out, but there's a place on Rt 206 in Bordentown that makes a pretty good Trenton style tomato pie. I think it's Vesuvio's. The rest of the county is a pizza wasteland, a lot of serviceable pizza but nothing outstanding.

Camden--nothing stands out. Ralph's, in Haddon Heights, makes a pretty good tomato and garlic pie (square pizza, thicker than neapolitan pizza but thinner than Sicilian, big chunks of tomato, fresh garlic and fresh parsley). Their standard Neapolitan pizza is just ok.

The southern jersey shore: Mack & Manco's in Ocean City.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Sunrays - formally of Paterson, now located just about on the train tracks in Little Falls (off Rt. 23)

best sicilian pie!

Absolutely, positively!! I have forgotten about this place since my sister moved out of Little Falls. I wonder if one of their pies can make it safely to my house off of Hamburg Tpk. in Wayne?

Mmmm....Sunray's

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Has anyone ever visited the pizzeria in Perth Amboy that was ignominiously shut down by the city while there was a campaign to save it? It supposedly had exemplary pizza. I read about it just about when they closed it, sometime this summer.

There are several excellent threads on this topic, and at the risk of repeating myself, here goes:

Although I have quibbles about them both, I give Brooklyn's Pizza of Hackensack (161 Hackensack Ave,) the nod over De Lorenzo's as my top NJ choice.

While Brooklyn's commitment to the use of first-rate, fresh ingredients (incuding real olive oil, fresh mozzarella and basil)is praiseworthy, their plain pie is a bit bland (short of salt); my favorite is the egllpant pie. De Lorenzo's failing is in its seasoning (either non-existent or second-rate dried).

For truly authentic Neapolitan pizza -- which admittedly is not to every American's taste -- there's Una Pizza Napoletana on Route 35 S. in Point Pleasant Beach, at the entrance to Bay Head-- is the closest I've ever had on this side of the ocean to how it's made in Naples and along the Amalfi coast.

Oh I would add C onte's in Princeton to the Mercer county list, as well as the Delorenzo's location on Hamilton Ave in Trenton, shockingly close to the Delorenzo's of Hudson St. version of tomato pie.

I will also add a new favorite of mine: Enzo's on Princeton Pike in Lawrenceville, a cute, cozy BYOB in its 20th year that makes a HELL of a tomato pie, as well as White Clam pie.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

my vote goes to delorenzo's on hudson st as well. truly great tomoto pies. irregularly shaped, crispy crust, just the right tomato-cheese ratio...i especially like it topped with peppers and onions. the peppers are slightly pickled, and really, really yummy. whenever we visit my parents, who live in trenton, i request delorenzo's. i just can't find a worthy replacemement in philadelphia...

In my area - Bergen - I like:

Fort lee Pizza - best regular pies

Donnas Pizza in Leonia - best sicilian

Kincheleys - best thin crust

Burks - in Westwood - same as Kincheleys - I think someone from Kincheleys makes the pies for them.

Morris county its gotta be Nicks on route 15 across the street from Charlottes Web. A thin crust almost perfect pepperoni pizza. Seaside Heights boardwalk, Maruca's ( they may have a location inland in the area). A very very thin perfect pizza. It is pricey at $22.00 a pie and they must slice the pepperoni on a truffle slicer, but it is really good.

Kincheleys - best thin crust

Burks - in Westwood - same as Kincheleys - I think someone from Kincheleys makes the pies for them.

That's +2 for Kinchley's.

I'll be there. Thanks again.

:D

Seaside Heights boardwalk, Maruca's ( they may have a location inland in the area).  A very very thin perfect pizza.  It is pricey at $22.00 a pie and they must slice the pepperoni on a truffle slicer, but it is really good.

Maruca's originated from Trenton. My mom use to live next door to the owner. She swears by their pizza. LOL

So she was quite happy when they opened one up in Toms River where we moved to. I was happy when they opened one up on the boardwalk where I worked as a teen.

I also like Vic's in Bradley Beach.