• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Superbowl

steakas

Everyone is familiar with the two Delorenzo’s in Trenton (Hudson & Hamilton Aves.). They both make excellent pies. However, there are a number of other places in the Trenton area that are arguably as good or better depending upon your taste. There’s Papa’s on Chambers St., Jo Jo’s at five points, Top Road on Brunswick Ave and the Ivy Tavern on S. Broad St. to name a few. A lot of locals think that Papa’s and/or the old Bartolini’s (now Champions) were better than Delorenzo’s.

Agree that Jo-Jo's and Top Road pies are excellent but better than Delo Hudson Street? I like both of these pies a lot and also Conti's in Princeton, but none, imho are close to Delorenzo's. I haven't been to Ivy or Champions but didn't much care for the pie at Papa's.

I DO NOT get the popularity of Papa's; mediocre pizza at best. I've never had a tomato pie at the Ivy Tavern either, nor at Jo-Jo's in Mercerville. Is Jo Jo's worth a visit?

The Championship Tavern pie is quite a good pie, Jeff, and Championship is one of the very few places I've seen (and had) the old-fashioned MUSTARD pie. Like hot wings, it's a great pie to eat with pitchers of beer and a football game. I've just seen the mustard tomato pie advertised at the new Peasants restaurant in Hamilton; they just hired the somewhat famous (in Trenton) Freddy Carrabelli to make tomato pies at this new restaurant.

But, as of this date, NOTHING touches a Delorenzo's of Hudson Street tomato pie

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I DO NOT get the popularity of Papa's; mediocre pizza at best.  I've never had a tomato pie at the Ivy Tavern either, nor at Jo-Jo's in Mercerville.  Is Jo Jo's worth a visit?

The Championship Tavern pie is quite a good pie, Jeff, and Championship is one of the very few places I've seen (and had) the old-fashioned MUSTARD pie.  Like hot wings, it's a great pie to eat with pitchers of beer and a football game. I've just seen the mustard tomato pie advertised at the new Peasants restaurant in Hamilton; they just hired the somewhat famous (in Trenton) Freddy Carrabelli to make tomato pies at this new restaurant.

I tend to agree with you regarding Papa’s. I mentioned it because it’s an institution in the Trenton area. I have not had a pie at Champions; I was referring to the previous owner’s place, when it was called Bartolini’s.

I would certainly recommend that you try Jo Jo’s. They make my current favorite pie. However, they are extremely busy and about the only time that I could guarantee you a parking spot and table would be on a Saturday afternoon. My wife and I went there a couple of weeks ago on a Monday night at around 6 PM and couldn’t get a parking spot in their lot! I think they make a mustard pie even though it isn’t listed on their website http://jojostavern.com/

I know that the Ivy Tavern makes one, as my son has ordered it there on numerous occasions. I’d have to say that the Ivy is probably my second choice for a good pie. http://www.ivytavern.com/

I haven’t eaten at the Hudson Street Delorenzo’s in probably 30 years and then only once. I don’t remember it as being anything special, good or bad. I’ve had pies at the Hamilton Ave. location a number of times when guests insist that they try it. I think the pies are okay but quite frankly, they don’t knock my socks off. I think their dough or crust is very bland.

Another place that I like to stop at for lunch occasionally, is Scotto & Crimani’s in Yardville, NJ. They make a nice thin, crispy crust pie that you can order by the slice. http://laforchettaristorante.com

I haven’t tried Conte’s in Princeton, as I don’t get up there very often, but I have heard that they make an excellent pie.

To each his own I guess. As the great used car salesman once said, “There’s an ass for every seat”.

I DO NOT get the popularity of Papa's; mediocre pizza at best.  I've never had a tomato pie at the Ivy Tavern either, nor at Jo-Jo's in Mercerville.  Is Jo Jo's worth a visit?

The Championship Tavern pie is quite a good pie, Jeff, and Championship is one of the very few places I've seen (and had) the old-fashioned MUSTARD pie.  Like hot wings, it's a great pie to eat with pitchers of beer and a football game. I've just seen the mustard tomato pie advertised at the new Peasants restaurant in Hamilton; they just hired the somewhat famous (in Trenton) Freddy Carrabelli to make tomato pies at this new restaurant.

Rich, get to Jo-Jo's. It's worth the trip. What is the deal with mustard pies? Sounds awful to me.

Sounds awful, tastes terrific!  I swear.

This would be just about impossible for me to order. I suppose I could bring myself to taste a piece of someone else's pie however.

Think of it in the same context a hot soft pretzel with mustard. I don’t think there’s any tomato on the pie only cheese and mustard.

I've actually had it both ways, with and without tomatoes. I prefer the tomato version, done by Freddy Carrabelli. I think of this kinda pie in the context of hot wings actually, where a sharp vinegar flavor blends with a tomato/pepper base and works very well with beer. You'll never know if you dont try. We'll just have to grab one together, Jeff, and soon.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I've actually had it both ways, with and without tomatoes.  I prefer the tomato version, done by Freddy Carrabelli.  I think of this kinda pie in the context of hot wings actually, where a sharp vinegar flavor blends with a tomato/pepper base and works very well with beer.  You'll never know if you dont try.  We'll just have to grab one together, Jeff, and soon.

I'm game, I think :sad:

I have been away but as to Jo Jo's, it is well worth a visit but never on Friday the place is packed and movment is limited and it is hectic.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

• 2 weeks later...

I'm moving to Lawrenceville (from Hackensack) in a few weeks and was perusing eG as usual, when I ran across this thread. Imagine my surprise when I learned that Magma is a block and a half away from my new apartment! And was it ever good. We had the small pizza margherita, with the thinnest, crispest crust, a nice tomato-ey sauce, fresh mozzarella and whole basil leaves. I only wish we had ordered the large as I was hungry and could easily have eaten the entire pie myself.

Can't wait to try Delorenzo's one day. :cool:

-- Lisa

I'm moving to Lawrenceville (from Hackensack) in a few weeks and was perusing eG as usual, when I ran across this thread.  Imagine my surprise when I learned that Magma is a block and a half away from my new apartment!  And was it ever good.  We had the small pizza margherita, with the thinnest, crispest crust, a nice tomato-ey sauce, fresh mozzarella and whole basil leaves.  I only wish we had ordered the large as I was hungry and could easily have eaten the entire pie myself.

Can't wait to try Delorenzo's one day.  :cool:

-- Lisa

Isn't that Magma pie really nice? Might be time for an EG outing ala Pizza Club on the PA board. You need a proper introduction to the neighborhood via Delorenzo's Hudson st.

• 2 months later...

We need a super bowl of pizza. I’m Trenton born and raised and I’ve sampled them all – both Delorenzo’s, Papa’s, Top Road, Bartolini’s, Conte’s in Princeton, Palemero’s in Bordentown and numerous other wannabees. Jo Jo’s in Hamilton Square is the best pizza/tomato pie in the world period. The Ivy Tavern on S. Broad St. is a close second.

I would add to your impressive list:

the tomato pie at the new Peasants restaurant in Hamilton;

the tomato pie at Palermo's in Ewing;

the tomato pie at Pete's Steaks in Ewing, and in Chambersburg

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

the low carb pizza (read thin crust and not too much crap cheese) at Casa Mia in Lake Mohawk, Sparta

crispy crust, a smear of great sauce then a dusting of cheese and it is totally incredible

unfortunately we lost the pesto pizza from Pies On Pizza when they closed.....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We need a super bowl of pizza.  I’m Trenton born and raised and I’ve sampled them all – both Delorenzo’s, Papa’s, Top Road, Bartolini’s, Conte’s in Princeton, Palemero’s in Bordentown and numerous other wannabees.  Jo Jo’s in Hamilton Square is the best pizza/tomato pie in the world period.  The Ivy Tavern on S. Broad St. is a close second.

I agree that Jo Jo's makes a damn fine pie but best in the world? Delorenzo's hands down for me when they are on point. By that I mean nicely charred and not too much cheese. Can't beat Hudson Street.

Have you tried the pie at Wildflowers in Pennington (formerly the Wayside) it's also right up there quality wise though not a traditional tomato pie

I had the Wildflowers tomato pie ovr the summer and found the crust althought crisp on the bottom, , too doughy to be considered a true tomato pie. Good flavor, good composition, b ut really just abetter version of pizza.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

We need a super bowl of pizza.  I’m Trenton born and raised and I’ve sampled them all – both Delorenzo’s, Papa’s, Top Road, Bartolini’s, Conte’s in Princeton, Palemero’s in Bordentown and numerous other wannabees.  Jo Jo’s in Hamilton Square is the best pizza/tomato pie in the world period.  The Ivy Tavern on S. Broad St. is a close second.

I agree that Jo Jo's makes a damn fine pie but best in the world? Delorenzo's hands down for me when they are on point. By that I mean nicely charred and not too much cheese. Can't beat Hudson Street.

Have you tried the pie at Wildflowers in Pennington (formerly the Wayside) it's also right up there quality wise though not a traditional tomato pie

I did some consulting work for a company near there and had lunch at Wildflowers many times but never thought to try the pie. I'll check it out in the future. Do they make a bar pie size?

Has anyone been to the new DeLorenzo's in Robbinsville yet?

Jeff

My good friend just called this afternoon on his way back from lunch and reported that the pie is even better than Hudson street with the added addition of fresh antipasto. Sammy Amico is making the pies here.

Long wait for lunch but we know a guy who isn't supposed to hold tables but you know...I'm going for lunch next Friday and will report back firsthand

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone been to the new DeLorenzo's in Robbinsville yet?

Jeff

My good friend just called this afternoon on his way back from lunch and reported that the pie is even better than Hudson street with the added addition of fresh antipasto. Sammy Amico is making the pies here.

Long wait for lunch but we know a guy who isn't supposed to hold tables but you know...I'm going for lunch next Friday and will report back firsthand

i'm waiting...

:D