• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Eat in NYC 2008? The Big Topic

Saltydog

It should also be noted that one could have a great meal at Picholine in the bar area for the $60 origina budget if one is willing to subsist on cheese and wine alone. Truly a distinctive program, but I guess not the full meal experience. The gift cards, even if you had one, do not work in the front area.

Obviously Ssam is a great idea but with the rennovations you can't get in there. Noodle Bar is obviously also create, but if I had one big meal in NYC as an out-of-towner I'm not sure I'd go to ANY of the Momos (including Ko). Something with a bit more grandeur, rather than the Momo minimalism, is probably in order.

but if he's going to be here for several weeks, Momo Noodle should definitely be on the list of regular meals.

I firmly believe that if you want a great meal in NY at one of our best restaurants, but you don't want to spend a lot of $, lunch is the way to go.

I am going to be in New York Sept 22-26 for a conference. Unfortunately, this will probably rule out the lunch options for great restaurant experiences, but as a solo diner, I'm hoping I can take great advantage of bar dining for dinner.

Does anyone have recommendations or suggestions for a solo diner? Babbo was heavily in contention until I read here that they won't do the tasting menu for solo diners. It doesn't knock Babbo out altogether, but it might make the choice a little more difficult. I'm very partial to tasting menus as it saves me from having to make agonizing choices about what I won't get to try... Plus, even if it's a marketing gimmick or a way to use up inventory (please don't tell me if it is :biggrin: ), I like the feeling that I'm getting things the chef actually enjoys cooking...

I'll eat anything, but am not all that interested in steak houses or seafood places (well, except sushi, which is not the same thing at all.) Also, I went to the French Laundry in February, so Per Se is not all that high on my list. Price range-wise, the $400 meal at Masa is probably out of my budget, but I could swing up to $150ish without breaking the bank or living on ramen for the rest of my week.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I am going to be in New York Sept 22-26 for a conference. Unfortunately, this will probably rule out the lunch options for great restaurant experiences, but as a solo diner, I'm hoping I can take great advantage of bar dining for dinner.

Does anyone have recommendations or suggestions for a solo diner?  Babbo was heavily in contention until I read here that they won't do the tasting menu for solo diners.  It doesn't knock Babbo out altogether, but it might make the choice a little more difficult.  I'm very partial to tasting menus as it saves me from having to make agonizing choices about what I won't get to try...  Plus, even if it's a marketing gimmick or a way to use up inventory (please don't tell me if it is  :biggrin: ), I like the feeling that I'm getting things the chef actually enjoys cooking...

I'll eat anything, but am not all that interested in steak houses or seafood places (well, except sushi, which is not the same thing at all.)  Also, I went to the French Laundry in February, so Per Se is not all that high on my list.  Price range-wise, the $400 meal at Masa is probably out of my budget, but I could swing up to $150ish without breaking the bank or living on ramen for the rest of my week.

Yasuda

consider Babbo anyway

Ssam Bar

if not Babbo than do a tasting menu at Insieme

do something Frenchish (we do this much better than anywhere else in the U.S.)...maybe the bar at Picholine?

WD-50 or Tailor

Bar Room at the Modern

Edited by Nathan (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm coming over to New York from London at the end of November with a couple of friends in order to sample the best NY has to offer. It's been a long time coming and having read many books and articles about the NY restaurant scene, I'm very excited to experience the tangible side of it!

I reckon I have 3 dinners and 2 lunches (and perhaps a couple of breakfasts) to fill, I have my options, but I'd really like some feedback from those who know best!

I'm looking for a some fine dining, examples of NY best and a good steak:

My shortlist is:

Dinner

WD-50

Roberts (for steak?)

Daniel

Le Bernadin

Tailor

Per Se

Lunch

Jean Georges

Sushi Yasuda

For the dinners, I'd like to try the tasting menus but not sure I can stretch to Per Se's prices!

I know this type of topic has been discussed before here, but things change and there may be new restaurants that I don't know about or I've overlooked!

I'm open to all suggestions....

This thread seems to be devoted to "high end" dining. I'd like some recomendations for casual, inexpensive( about 30 bucks for both) places. Robin and I are coming at the end of October for 3 days during the week. Since it was a spur of the moment trip and I've taken oh, about 4 other trips this year, I promised I'd make this budget friendly.

I'm also not a big " hot lunch" fan. I really love a good sandwich. Also, of course Pizza and we love Italian. We plan on a LES self-led walking tour, so please no suggestions over there. I also dont drink so that frees up a lot of $$. Thanks!!

My shortlist is:

Dinner

WD-50

Roberts (for steak?)

Daniel

Le Bernadin

Tailor

Per Se

Lunch

Jean Georges

Sushi Yasuda

For the dinners, I'd like to try the tasting menus but not sure I can stretch to Per Se's prices!

Do you already have a reservation for Per Se? If not, your schedule may not be possible. Per Se opens its books 2 months in advance.

Not sure why you'd want to do both WD-50 and Tailor. I think WD-50 serves lunch now, BTW.

I recently went to Le Bernardin, it was quite expensive, not sure it would be worth it if you have such limited time in NYC.

For steak, why not Peter Luger?

Also missing from your short list are Italian (Babbo?) and non-sushi Asian (Momofuku?).

Also you're missing some time with quintessential NYC food: pizza, smoked salmon and bagels, pastrami sandwich from Katz's.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Babbo might be a consideration for the tasting menu.

Balthazar for breakfast should be on your list.

And it seems like you're either looking for an "experimental" experience (WD-50, Tailor) or something that many might consider more "traditional" or high-end fancy (Le B, Daniel). Tell us a little bit more about the kind of food you like, and you may get some more suggestions.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Babbo might be a consideration for the tasting menu.

Balthazar for breakfast should be on your list.

And it seems like you're either looking for an "experimental" experience (WD-50, Tailor) or something that many might consider more "traditional" or high-end fancy (Le B, Daniel).  Tell us a little bit more about the kind of food you like, and you may get some more suggestions.

Will definitely look at visiting Babbo....and Balthazar....

I went to the Fat duck a few years ago, so kind of wanted to see what NY had to offer in that respect, I also wanted to go to a modern French restaurant like Chez Bruce over here and then mix that up with good American fare. I'm not really fussy, I'm just hoping for some suggestions of must go to places while i'm there and I'd happily repay the favour if anyone needed some help with London restaurants!

This thread seems to be devoted to "high end" dining.  I'd like some recomendations for casual, inexpensive( about 30 bucks for both) places.  Robin and I are coming at the end of October for 3 days during the week.  Since it was a spur of the moment trip and I've taken oh, about 4 other trips this year, I promised I'd make this budget friendly.

Do you mean $30 for 2 people?

I went to the Fat duck a few years ago, so kind of wanted to see what NY had to offer in that respect, I also wanted to go to a modern French restaurant like Chez Bruce over here and then mix that up with good American fare. I'm not really fussy, I'm just hoping for some suggestions of must go to places while i'm there and I'd happily repay the favour if anyone needed some help with London restaurants!

The Fat Duck-ish places here are, as Weinoo suggested, WD-50 and Tailor. (Note: they are Fat Duck-ish, not The Fat Duck).

Both you and CaliPoutine should hit Momofuku Ssam - it's not inexpensive but I think reasonably priced given the very high quality of the food. The menu at Momofuku Noodle Bar (used to me my preference over Ssam) is oddly limited right now, I'd go to Ssam for dinner for sure. There are extensive threads on here about all the Momos that I would suggest you look at.

I was back at Prune a couple of weeks ago and was reminded how much I love it. It strikes me as a very New York kind of spot, for brunch, lunch or dinner. Not expensive, and excellent.

For inexpensive Italian I'd do Otto or Lupa (Lupa is more $ but the food is better. If you order pastas and sides rather than mains you can get out without spending too much money.) I also really enjoyed my meal at Scarpetta, which is more expensive. And Dell'anima is also fantastic - smaller and more neighborhoody, and between Lupa and Scarpetta price-wise. Also, Terroir (wine bar on 12th just off 1st Ave) has excellent food and wine and is casual and not very expensive. Order the pork blade and the veal & ricotta meatballs.

For Modern French I'd point you toward the Eleven Madison Park and The Modern threads. If you want high end dining but with more of an American slant I'd do Gramercy Tavern or Blue Hill.

That's a fantastic list. Substitute Lugers or Wolfgangs for Roberts. Consider a Momofuku. Otherwise, you have listed our best.

I'm coming over to New York from London at the end of November with a couple of friends in order to sample the best NY has to offer. It's been a long time coming and having read many books and articles about the NY restaurant scene, I'm very excited to experience the tangible side of it!

I reckon I have 3 dinners and 2 lunches (and perhaps a couple of breakfasts) to fill, I have my options, but I'd really like some feedback from those who know best!

I'm looking for a some fine dining, examples of NY best and a good steak:

My shortlist is:

Dinner

WD-50

Roberts (for steak?)

Daniel

Le Bernadin

Tailor

Per Se

Lunch

Jean Georges

Sushi Yasuda

I know this type of topic has been discussed before here, but things change and there may be new restaurants that I don't know about or I've overlooked!

I'm open to all suggestions....

This thread seems to be devoted to "high end" dining.  I'd like some recomendations for casual, inexpensive( about 30 bucks for both) places.  Robin and I are coming at the end of October for 3 days during the week.   Since it was a spur of the moment trip and I've taken oh, about 4 other trips this year, I promised I'd make this budget friendly.

Yep, for lunch. I think thats doable without booze.

I'm talking super casual.... a good sandwich, a nice salad, a pizza, etc. We tend to eat lighter lunches.

This thread seems to be devoted to "high end" dining.  I'd like some recomendations for casual, inexpensive( about 30 bucks for both) places.  Robin and I are coming at the end of October for 3 days during the week.   Since it was a spur of the moment trip and I've taken oh, about 4 other trips this year, I promised I'd make this budget friendly.

Yeah, that isn't possible in NY. Not outside of Chinatown. And barely there. Not trying to be mean, trying to be honest. This is the wrong city for that price point.

Yep, for lunch. I think thats doable without booze.

I'm talking super casual.... a good sandwich, a nice salad, a pizza, etc. We tend to eat lighter lunches.

Oh, you can do that here. We have the same sandwich/salad chains as other cities: au Bon pain, me pain quotidien, and the local craftwich chain. You could go to the shake shack too.

Oh, you can do that here. We have the same sandwich/salad chains as other cities: au Bon pain, me pain quotidien, and the local craftwich chain. You could go to the shake shack too.

Agreed - for lunch, you can do it. I say chinatown (there are threads on it) - I like Thai Son for Vietnamese, Big Wong for roast pork on rice w/ginger scallion sauce. Wichcraft has excellent sandwiches.

"casual, inexpensive" reads more like "I want a sit down place that's about $20-25pp including tax and tip" to me.

Really, you want cheap eats, no-frills, take out or counter service. This means delis, street carts, pizza joints, burger joints.

You could go to: Shake Shack, Dosa Man, Papaya King, kati roll joints, the halal cart on 53rd and 6th, Katz's (get a sandwich to go and split it), Artichoke, Joe's, Sullivan Street Bakery, any of the 4 or 5 dumplings for $1 joints....

A lot of this is neighborhood dependent, as people tend to eat lunch by their offices on the weekdays. My favorite cheap eats secrets in Gramercy/Madison Square Park area are the secret takeout menu at Pamplona, and the sandwiches at Lamazou.

I would start here:

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/33526/

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/articles/fe...ap-eats-pyramid

http://midtownlunch.com (they have a new contributor who is focusing on Chinatown I think)

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2008/08/gui...e-food-nyc.html

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Are you telling me that chains are my only option?

I'd prefer to avoid chains.  Any good coffee shops to get a greek salad or club sandwich?

Of course there are, but I'm probably not going to recommend that you run around NY for something like that. Where are you planning to be? If you're near Flatiron, I like Eisenbergs for old school coffee shop. If you're near Chinatown, see above (my preference for cheap eats).

Wichcraft is a "chain" but nothing like ABP and Chipotle. They're owned by Tom Colicchio and are really good - and they use quality ingredients. http://www.wichcraftnyc.com/

Shake Shack is awesome. Madison Sq Park, 23rd/5th Ave.

I'd prefer to avoid chains.   Any good coffee shops to get a greek salad or club sandwich?

Sure. But why would you come to NY for that?

well if you must know. I'm on a medication that prolongs gastric emptying. I dont eat big lunches. I'm not coming to NY specifically to eat at a coffee shop, I was just asking about my options.

I'd prefer to avoid chains.   Any good coffee shops to get a greek salad or club sandwich?

Of course there are, but I'm probably not going to recommend that you run around NY for something like that. Where are you planning to be? If you're near Flatiron, I like Eisenbergs for old school coffee shop. If you're near Chinatown, see above (my preference for cheap eats).

Wichcraft is a "chain" but nothing like ABP and Chipotle. They're owned by Tom Colicchio and are really good - and they use quality ingredients. http://www.wichcraftnyc.com/

Shake Shack is awesome. Madison Sq Park, 23rd/5th Ave.

Shake Shack is out, unless they have veggie burgers. We dont eat BEEF. We do eat chicken, seafood and pork.