• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Eat in NYC 2008? The Big Topic

Saltydog

Thanks for the guidance, Pan. I do have a lunch reservation lined up at J-G next week. I have never had the opportunity to eat in a four-star restaurant, though I have visited several three-star places on past trips. I was attracted to J-G because I have never eaten in any of the J-G restaurants, I would like to try the four-starred flagship, and the lunch deal sounded unbeatable. I'll be sure to report back when my trip is over.

Maybe I'm putting too much stock in there being a distinction between three-star and four-star restaurants. Maybe I'm giving disproportionate weight to the opinions of a single critic in the bargain. But that's another topic for another day...

I do think the lunch prix fixe is a good deal, and the experience is likely to be pleasant. I merely mean to lower your expectations a bit.

Are you going to Babbo on this trip?

Michael aka "Pan"

He's talking about the restaurant, not the pizzeria(s).

I've never been, but it sure looks like the kind of place that would require a jacket.

I found their website, and here is what they say:

The Restaurant Dress Code is Smart Casual - No Shorts are Allowed.

Ergo, it would appear that jackets are not required.

Michael aka "Pan"

My brother and I had lunch at J-G a couple of months ago and were kind of underwhelmed. Sure, the ingredients are all excellent, as one would expect and hope, but as some others have mentioned, it seems like, when J-G does heavily Asian-influenced stuff, one of the ingredients (such as soy sauce, for example) is too heavy-handed and drowns out the other flavors...

Thanks for the guidance, Pan. I do have a lunch reservation lined up at J-G next week. I have never had the opportunity to eat in a four-star restaurant, though I have visited several three-star places on past trips. I was attracted to J-G because I have never eaten in any of the J-G restaurants, I would like to try the four-starred flagship, and the lunch deal sounded unbeatable. I'll be sure to report back when my trip is over.

Lunch at J-G is the best lunch deal in town at a high-end restaurant. Every acclaimed restaurant is the subject of occasional reviews that say, "I was underwhelmed." That's partly because even the best places trip up occasionally. Or it could be that the particular reviewer just doesn't care for that type of cuisine. Restaurants can also be the victim of their own hype: one goes with outsized expectations that can't be met.
Maybe I'm putting too much stock in there being a distinction between three-star and four-star restaurants. Maybe I'm giving disproportionate weight to the opinions of a single critic in the bargain. But that's another topic for another day...

With Jean Georges, you're talking about a place that many critics, not just one, have put in the upper echelon of NYC restaurants. That doesn't mean you'll love it, but it's more than just one person's opinion.

The distinction between three and four-star restaurants can't be boiled down to an easy explanation. If you dine at JG and Perry Street (4* and 3* respectively, and both Vongerichten restaurants), I am pretty sure you'll see a big difference. But there are some 3* places that just barely missed four stars, or had four in the past, and in some folks' opinion might be just as deserving as JG. Bouley would be an example, though I wouldn't go there now, as they've recently moved and are only just settling in.

Edited by oakapple (log)

Are you going to Babbo on this trip?

No. My current reservations include Eleven Madison Park, Jean-Georges, Momofuku Ko, and Bar Boulud. I am contemplating axeing 11MP and going to the tavern room at Gramercy Tavern instead--I nabbed the Ko resy and I really only have the budget to spend that much at one meal on this trip. (Though, I am interested in Humm's menu, and maybe I can afford it, who knows...I'm waffling.) Also, I have a deep fondness for GT; I haven't been since 2002 and I'd like to see what's new there.

I also have meals planned that won't require or accept reservations--Katz's, possibly some dim sum, a visit to Bouchon Bakery (since God only knows when I can get to Napa and eat at the actual Bouchon--and I definitely don't have a Per Se budget) and the new Momofuku Milk Bar.

He's talking about the restaurant, not the pizzeria(s).

I've never been, but it sure looks like the kind of place that would require a jacket.

I found their website, and here is what they say:

The Restaurant Dress Code is Smart Casual - No Shorts are Allowed.

Ergo, it would appear that jackets are not required.

Thanks. Now I'll have to find another excuse to keep not going there.

Hello all,

My husband just surprised me with a trip to NY (and then on to DC) in the latter part of January! We will have three dinners (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) and two lunches (Saturday and Sunday). Do you mind helping me plan where to eat?

1. The universal consensus seems to be that lunch at JG is the best deal in the city. Unfortunately, we will not be there on a weekday. Someone on here said they were now open on Saturdays for lunch, but their website says they are not. Therefore, I am thinking of doing the two lunches at Perry St. and Momofuku Noodle Bar. I really want to eat at JG proper, and with our schedule it will have to be for dinner. Is it crazy to eat at Perry St. as well? If so, can you please recommend another very good weekend lunch?

2. Where would be the best place for Southern Indian food?

2a. I actually grew up a couple of blocks off Oak Tree Road in Edison, so have a slight additional motivation to venture out there just to see how much it's changed, but don't want to waste a huge chunk of my vacation doing it. How long would it take to get there and back? We are staying at the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park. And would it be worth it for the food alone?

3. I am confused and intimidated by the Byzantine system of New York restaurant reservations. Suppose a person wanted to eat at the following places from January 17-19--what would she have to do and when would she have to do it in order to get reservations?

Dinner:

JG

Gramercy Tavern

Babbo

Lunch (are reservations necessary for these?):

Momofuku Noodle Bar

Perry St.

Thank you very much for your help.

2: Hopstop.com estimates it will take just under 2 hours to get to Oak Tree Road in Edison NJ from the Battery Park Ritz-Carlton on a Saturday afternoon. Bus -> 2 train -> Penn Station -> NJ transit train -> 20 minute walk.

3: The top tier restaurants open their books 28, 30, or 31 days in advance and usually start taking reservations at 9am or 10am in the morning by phone. Some also use OpenTable's online reservations system and put some tables online at exactly midnight that day (or at 9am the next day, etc).

JG - starts taking reservations 30 days in advance, on Open Table

Gramercy Tavern - starts taking reservations 28 days in advance, on Open Table, very popular

Babbo - starts taking reservations one month in advance to the numerical date (if you want January 19 you need to call on December 19) at 10am via phone ONLY, not on Open Table, extremely popular

Momofuku Noodle Bar - no reservations taken

OpenTable.com is good for you if you want Jean-Georges or Gramercy Tavern. Be ready to pounce at midnight. IIRC, they put some tables online at exactly midnight EST. If you strike out on OpenTable call the next morning.

If I am going to celebrate a special occasion and have chosen a restaurant, I typically call that restaurant a few days ahead at a slow time (say, late afternoon) and ask what their booking policy is (how many days in advance, when the lines open, etc).

Jean Georges, and many other restaurants, aren't so good at updating their web sites in terms of operating hours. When in doubt, call and ask.

BTW, Jean Georges just joined Open Table:

http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=3154

And from their OT page, it says that lunch is served Mondays through Saturdays.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Diana, in Manhattan, the best place for South Indian food is Saravanaas (or whatever it's called now - Saravanaa Bhavan or something?). 81 Lexington Av., right on the northeast corner of 26 St.

Michael aka "Pan"

Jacket?

Do you mean Sardi's or maybe even Carmine's? (doubtful)

You definitely don't mean Patsy's

Actually it is Patsy's and you must be thinking of a different place. It is walking distance from my favorite New York Hotel and we always go there when we are in town! Try it. I promise you won't be disappointed!

I really want to eat at JG proper, and with our schedule it will have to be for dinner. Is it crazy to eat at Perry St. as well?
With so many great restaurants in this town, I wouldn't choose two Vongerichten restaurants in the same trip. If you're looking for an alternative, I'd suggest Bar Room at the Modern.
3. I am confused and intimidated by the Byzantine system of New York restaurant reservations. Suppose a person wanted to eat at the following places from January 17-19--what would she have to do and when would she have to do it in order to get reservations?

Dinner:

JG

Gramercy Tavern

Babbo

Lunch (are reservations necessary for these?):

Momofuku Noodle Bar

Perry St.

Momofuku Noodle Bar doesn't take reservations. You shouldn't have any trouble at all getting into Perry St., assuming you still want to go that route. Jean Georges probably won't be difficult either, especially in January. GT and Babbo are the two challenging ones. You really have to reserve the day they open their book—and even then, you might not get in. However, Babbo has tables available for walk-ins, and it's not hard to get one, as long as you're early.