• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Eat in NYC 2008? The Big Topic

Saltydog

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We are two self confessed foodies and wine lovers and going to be in New York from the 12th – 15th July and looking for food and wine related suggestions for our trip?

I’m ideally looking for restaurant suggestions, perhaps one ‘fine dining’ experience (with modern influence, not too old or stuffy), some sushi\Asian restaurant suggestions and some general ‘must visit’ places. We are a couple in our early 30’s and budget shouldn’t be a problem. We will be staying in the meatpacking district, but will travel all over Manhattan to dine, so there is no need to suggest local restaurants.

We dined at El Bulli earlier this year and love that style of cooking with unusual combinations of textures and flavours. I have a lunch reservation at Per Se, although not 100% we will take it. I’ve been reading about Eleven Madison Park which looks very good, so I’ve made a reservation there to be on the safe side.

I’d also like any suggestions of farmers markets (we are there Sat – Tue) which we could visit, also any fine food delis and any other food related experiences.

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Chris

Hi,

We are two self confessed foodies and wine lovers and going to be in New York from the 12th – 15th July and looking for food and wine related suggestions for our trip?

I’m ideally looking for restaurant suggestions, perhaps one ‘fine dining’ experience (with modern influence, not too old or stuffy), some sushi\Asian restaurant suggestions and some general ‘must visit’ places. We are a couple in our early 30’s and budget shouldn’t be a problem. We will be staying in the meatpacking district, but will travel all over Manhattan to dine, so there is no need to suggest local restaurants.

We dined at El Bulli earlier this year and love that style of cooking with unusual combinations of textures and flavours. I have a lunch reservation at Per Se, although not 100% we will take it. I’ve been reading about Eleven Madison Park which looks very good, so I’ve made a reservation there to be on the safe side.

I’d also like any suggestions of farmers markets (we are there Sat – Tue) which we could visit, also any fine food delis and any other food related experiences.

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Chris

if you like unusual combinations of textures and flavors, try wd-50 or tailor. however, i wouldn't even begin to try to compare them to el bulli (especially considering i've never dined there).

some general ‘must visit’ places.

General "must visit" places - Katz's for a pastrami sandwich and maybe a hot dog and a knish, Russ & Daughter's/Zabar's/Barney Greengrass for NY appetizing at its finest (you'll only be able to sit and eat at Barney Greengrass), GROM for gelato that would only otherwise be available in Italy, pizza somewhere, DiPalos for a great Italian "deli" experience, a great cocktail place, etc.

Greenmarket at Union Square any Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Saturday.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Hi,

We are two self confessed foodies and wine lovers and going to be in New York from the 12th – 15th July and looking for food and wine related suggestions for our trip?.....................

Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions.

I think I’m going to scrap Per Se, which was a lunch reservation (I'm still wait listed for dinner). I’m not sure I want to have a long fine dining lunch and would prefer that for dinner. I also wasn’t planning on taking very smart clothes on my trip (I’m off the beach from NY!)

I’ve made a dinner reservation at EMP and plan to visit the Union Square Farmers Market on Monday and a stroll down Blecker with Gelato from GROM. Going to try and make it to Momofuku Ssam one evening (do they take reservations?) and then Chikalicious for dessert and matching wines.

I’m a little unsure as to whether I dine at WD-50 instead of EMP…. Decisions decisions!!

Anything I’ve missed?!

Chris

General "must visit" places - Katz's for a pastrami sandwich and maybe a hot dog and a knish, Russ & Daughter's/Zabar's/Barney Greengrass for NY appetizing at its finest (you'll only be able to sit and eat at Barney Greengrass),

Word.

Ssam doesn't take reservations but if it's just the 2 of you you should be ok. I usually go early or late to avoid having to wait long.

If you're heading down Bleecker I would stop at Murray's Cheese. Heaven.

Not sure what to tell you on the EMP vs. WD-50 debate; they are really different, and at the same time both have some of the best food NY has to offer. Both chefs are extremely talented. EMP is more traditional fine dining/modern French (with Danny Meyer service, which is to say impeccable but approachable). If setting is important to you, EMP is very impressive - art deco, soaring ceilings and windows. On the other hand, WD-50 is downtown and unique, more laid back, and attracts a younger crowd.

I’ve made a dinner reservation at EMP and plan to visit the Union Square Farmers Market on Monday and a stroll down Blecker with Gelato from GROM. Going to try and make it to Momofuku Ssam one evening (do they take reservations?) and then Chikalicious for dessert and matching wines.

Chris

You might think about going to Momofuku Noodle Bar for lunch on Monday after the farmer's market...won't be any problem getting seats, some people are even liking it more than Ssam Bar these days, shhhh, and then a nice walk on Bleecker St. from the Bowery west to GROM and beyond is always fun.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Chris

You might think about going to Momofuku Noodle Bar for lunch on Monday after the farmer's market...won't be any problem getting seats, some people are even liking it more than Ssam Bar these days, shhhh, and then a nice walk on Bleecker St. from the Bowery west to GROM and beyond is always fun.

Another great lunch option is Jean Georges on any weekday. They serve many of the same dishes as at dinner (which is to say some of the best food to be found in NYC) and it's a crazy bargain compared to their usual prices. You can also decide how large/long a meal you want, as you can pick any number of courses.

So i'm headed to Manhattan early Monday morning (7/14/08) on a last-minute, one week, trip to the Culinary Capital of the Known Universe and I need some ideas on what to do next week in The City. Usually I plan my itinerary, several weeks/months out, almost entirely around my lunch and dinner reservations, but this time, long story short, I just have between now and then (7/14/08) to plan.

Where should I go? What should I do? Of course I'd like to go where IT is at, but IT in my experience takes reservations in advance at least one month to the day and I have no such luxury. As some may know and most will not, I love food of all types and stripes and have been known to eat anything that will stand still long enough for me to stick a fork into it as long as I have a reasonable expectation that it is good.

Thanks,

Jorge

Where should I go? What should I do? Of course I'd like to go where IT is at, but IT in my experience takes reservations in advance at least one month to the day and I have no such luxury.

I would start by abandoning the notion that you need a 1-month advance reservation go to where IT is at - you're a solo diner so you should be able to fly standby and get into lots of those types of places ANYWAY, but some of the best IT places are not on opentable and might not even take reservations - take the Totto/Aburiya empire for authentic non-sushi Japanese.. perhaps the pre-eminent IT place right now requires a tortuous morning ritual, but you might be able to get in there too...

Not sure if you're dining solo but if you are (or with one other person), you can easily eat at the bar of almost every great restaurant here without planning ahead. Momofuku Noodle and Ssam Bar are obvious picks (they have their own threads and are highly recommended to all) and don't take reservations anyway.

I think it might help if you were a little more specific about what you're looking for?

Edited by daisy17 (log)

With the possible exception of Per Se, you should have no problem getting into most everywhere - if not at a table then for sure at the bar. Its summertime and the restaurant trade is traditionally slow. Add the economy to the equation and there shouldn't be any problem.

My squeeze and I just walked into a very popular steakhouse where its virtually impossible to get into without a reservation in Fall or Winter, last Friday evening and we had more than half the place to ourselves.

Ditto. And some restaurants will take put on the waiting list if you feel you really need to have a reservation.

For a solo diner, the only trouble I foresee having is pizza (many notable pizza spots don't do slices) or doing a tasting menu (Babbo for example will not do it for a solo diner).

See also:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=99646

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I agree with what everyone's said here, bar-seating at some of the best mid-/high-end places in town is easy if you're flying solo. Who knows, you might even make an acquaintance or two while there?

That said, I would strongly suggest hitting Jean Georges for their lunch. To this day I think it's one of the best and most imaginative deals in the city (about $30 for 2 courses + many amuses bouches). Take a book, relax in the dining room and let the food sweep you away. Sheesh, I sound like a soap ad.

And welcome to our little town,

Cheers! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Ditto. And some restaurants will take put on the waiting list if you feel you really need to have a reservation.

For a solo diner, the only trouble I foresee having is pizza (many notable pizza spots don't do slices) or doing a tasting menu (Babbo for example will not do it for a solo diner).

See also:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=99646

Di Fara in Brooklyn offers slices, and although the wait is mind boggling, I assure you it is worth every painstaking minute

• 1 month later...

I have just landed a new job that posts me in Manhattan for the next couple of weeks. I know there are a ton of places to eat, and I will not go hungry. I have limited funds (which will be reimbursed) but I really want one truly great meal, without dropping a couple hundred bucks.

Where can a guy eat, with no time to make reservations, at a fabulous restaurant in the $50-60 range? I'll know my exact hotel location in the next day or so.

First time to NYC... Hell, my first time north of Nashville. Be gentle.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I have just landed a new job that posts me in Manhattan for the next couple of weeks. I know there are a ton of places to eat, and I will not go hungry. I have limited funds (which will be reimbursed) but I really want one truly great meal, without dropping a couple hundred bucks.

Where can a guy eat, with no time to make reservations, at a fabulous restaurant in the $50-60 range? I'll know my exact hotel location in the next day or so.

First time to NYC... Hell, my first time north of Nashville. Be gentle.

if that price includes wine, tax and tip....hmmm....well, you could pull off a meal at Ssam Bar or Noodle Bar by ordering two items....

you could eat at Lupa.

you could have lunch at Jean Georges (only during the week).

you could have lunch at Perry Street.

those are the best meals you could have at that price point.

I might add the Bar Room at the Modern. You could also have a pretty solid meal in the Gramercy Tavern Tavern Room if you're into that farm-to-table style of food. Also, if you bump you budget by a few dollars and don't order wine Blue Hill comes into your scope.

Yeah, I'm quickly discovering the NYC price point reality. OK, let's bump it a bit, say $100 without a reservation.

Babbo at the bar is, I think, the best meal you can have for $100 in NY (and really one of the better meals to be had in NY, period.) Esca is another option.

or you could have fun at Ssam Bar and try a bunch of things.

I agree with many of the suggestions here (Jean Georges for lunch, Perry St. for lunch, Ssam or Noodle Bar, etc.) but feel there are also many other spots. Bar Room is a great suggestion and you could also really have a great meal at Scarpetta, the Kitchen Counter at Beacon (well that is $109 a needs a resy), Blue Hill, Picholine (and you can get the $50 giftcard from their site), Eleven Madison Park for lunch and probably more. All depends on if you want lunch or dinner and any specific food or experience.

always-eating.com

I'd be shocked if you could do Picholine for anywhere near $100 after tax, tip and wine.

and though I thought the Kitchen Counter was a great deal, it's simply not at the level of the others (Bar Room is a good idea though).

but dollar for dollar, it'd be hard to beat eating at the best Italian restaurant in America...by a large margin....or at one of the best seafood restaurants.

Edited by Nathan (log)