• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mini pastry suppliers

Trishiad

I have been asked by a friend to help her with a family Brunch the morning after her wedding. She will have 40 to 50 guests and we were thinking of some premade pastries. I will make quiches, fruit, meats, etc. But I really don't want to be making croissant and danish (especially with a hangover from the reception the night before).

Albert Uster makes a good frozen product but sells them in huge cases. A case comes to about 600 pieces, a few too many for a crowd of 50.

Our local bakeries make plenty good pastries but the cost gets high and they are large which is slightly less appealing for a light buffet.

Any ideas??

thanks,

trish

Albert Uster makes a good frozen product but sells them in huge cases.  A case comes to about 600 pieces, a few too many for a crowd of 50.

Check with the distributor as to whether they have a "sampler" pack... or, can you work out an arrangement w/ one of the local caterers to buy half a case of something?

Karen Dar Woon

trish, you can buy trader joe's puff and use it to make small danish shapes and mini turnovers with various fillings. not ideal, i know, but it might save you some time in making dough...and most people won't really know or notice the difference.

Alana,

I had considered that but would soooo rather proof something in the fridge overnight and pop it into the oven on site than have to cut and fill myself. I'm feeling lazy right now, maybe I won't by June.

thanks

trish

I used to get great mini pastries from Bakers of Paris in San Francisco. They only have one retail location left, but you might be able to contact their wholesale operation and order. I don't know how expensive they'd be, though.