• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raiding the Icebox...

weinoo

'Fess up, we've all done it. Who hasn't taken something out of the 'fridge, and eaten it stone cold? Pizza, pasta, chicken, etc. And let's face it - not everything tastes good cold - I wouldn't be caught dead eating, for instance, fried rice or chicken soup cold. No way - but that chicken leg or pepperoni slice - oh yeah, baby.

So, do you have any favorites? Something that you just want to HAVE for leftovers - maybe you'll even make extra or order extra just knowing that you'll be able to raid the icebox, not turn any heating devices on, and chow down.

Do tell...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Cold chicken is, aside from cucumbers, my absolute favorite food. I love it; can't get enough.

I make a roast chicken once every couple of weeks, and just eat cold chicken for dinner for four or five nights in a row. Chicken in salad, chicken with sliced tomatoes and mustard, chicken by itself, eaten standing in front of the open fridge...whatever.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

In a parallel universe from Megan, it's the same for me with pizza.

But only gourmet takeout pizza. Cheap delivery pizza and homemade awesome pizza, it's got to be hot. Cheap delivery pizza turns to plastic when it gets cold, and homemade awesome pizza isn't worth saving to the next day, it's either fresh or never.

I love cold pizza. One of my greatest joys in ordering pizza is that I'm going to eat it standing in front of the open fridge door tomorrow, savoring the cheesy-meaty-tomatoey amalgamation on a cold doughy canvas. I'll get a large for myself just so I can eat for a week. Okay fine, 2 days.

I think the right kind of crust plays a very large part. Some junkier pizza crusts turn powdery after they go cold. Blech. Then again, if that was the case, I wouldn't even have eaten it hot.

I'm weird. :sad:

'Fess up, we've all done it.  Who hasn't taken something out of the 'fridge, and eaten it stone cold?  Pizza, pasta, chicken, etc.  And let's face it - not everything tastes good cold - I wouldn't be caught dead eating, for instance, fried rice or chicken soup cold. No way - but that chicken leg or pepperoni slice - oh yeah, baby.

Oh, I've been caught, quite live, eating cold leftover Chinese takeout too many times to count. :laugh:

And I too enjoy cold chicken and pizza (though I very seldom eat pizza either hot or cold anymore...)

I am known for eating raw, beef, right out of the refrigerator. My kiddle knows I've got a plan, wen I 'prep' the beef as soon as it enters the kitchen. If I'm slicing the beef up before it goes into the refrigerator, you can wager that I'll be visitng it around 3:00AM, with a little bowl of dipping sauce in my right hand, and a fork in my left!

Oh, and brownies, from the freezer. Yeeha! :wub:

edited because I am trying to foil those pesky 'bot links!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Cold roast chicken---nirvana no matter who roasted it. I had a drumstick right out of the fridge for lunch, with some sliced cucumber and sea salt. (But not standing AT the fridge---I DID sit down with last night's Dancing TIVO, while the little one slept).

Yesterday's string beans, rinsed of any clingy bacon fat and tossed atop a salad, and any kind of whole potato with the skin on can be delightful either as is, or chopped and tossed with a little mayo (onion, pickle, celery optional).

There's something about the CREAMY texture of both cold chicken and potato which the hot versions do not have.

And from a strictly Southern perspective. No bread in the world is like a slice of cold cornbread sliced in half, with a nice thick slice of fresh-from-the-garden homegrown tomato and a little salt. For the true experience, grab a hunk of cornbread from fridge, put a sprinkle of salt in a napkin, head straight for garden and pick a perfect, heavy warm red one. Wipe down shirtfront, bite.

'Fess up, we've all done it.  Who hasn't taken something out of the 'fridge, and eaten it stone cold?  Pizza, pasta, chicken, etc.  And let's face it - not everything tastes good cold - I wouldn't be caught dead eating, for instance, fried rice or chicken soup cold. No way - but that chicken leg or pepperoni slice - oh yeah, baby.

Oh, I've been caught, quite live, eating cold leftover Chinese takeout too many times to count. :laugh:

And I too enjoy cold chicken and pizza (though I very seldom eat pizza either hot or cold anymore...)

Guilty as charged. I've had my share of cold chinese food, as well. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yep, cold pizza (as long as it's good), Chinese food, and chicken are frequently consumed cold here. However, fried rice just doesn't cut the mustard - it's too hard! (That is, if it lasts more than a day or so - before then, it's still soft enough to snarf cold.)

And here I put up with accusations of being abnormal when such behavior was discovered.

Leftover roasted vegetables also rarely survive refrigeration, and are great cold.

On the rare, rare occasion I have macaroni and cheese (boxed only - forget homemade), I let it cool as long as I can stand before digging in. Leftovers, chilled, are even better. It's a creamy texture thing, as others have pointed out.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Meatloaf, check. Roast chicken torn from the carcass, check. Cold mashed potatoes -- yeah!

My fab fave is a leftover smothered pork chop, the onions flapping on my wrist, the sauce smearing my chin. And I'm an icebox purist: the food must be eating standing up in the kitchen.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I love this thread, and I wish I had more to add, but besides a few thin shreds of chicken picked off the carcass (or turkey) I like everything hot. Cold pizza gives me the shivers. To me, cold potatoes are so sad and tired.

I've got 2 bases covered (sort of pasta) and potato...

I used to get potato gnocchi with mushrooms/sundried tomatoes and a touch of oil from a gourmet market prepared foods counter...and discovered how wonderful they were eaten straight from the fridge rather than microwaved to reheat. Gnocchi have a chewier texture eaten cold.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Cold rare steak sandwiches are absolutely sublime, especially with a hit of sharp mustard.

And yes, cornbread from the fridge is just plain divine, accompanied with..well, pretty much anything. I also like eating chilled oyster dressing and picking out the oysters when nobody's looking, much to the horror and consternation of everyone else.

Meatloaf, check. Roast chicken torn from the carcass, check. Cold mashed potatoes -- yeah!

My fab fave is a leftover smothered pork chop, the onions flapping on my wrist, the sauce smearing my chin. And I'm an icebox purist: the food must be eating standing up in the kitchen.

Agree with almost all, Maggie. I just don't get the cold mashed potatoes thing - but I guess I gotta try them...I normally form cold mashers into patties, and fry 'em. I do, however, love a cold baked potato, cut in half and sprinkled with sea salt. Great, healthy snack food.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Cold rare steak sandwiches are absolutely sublime, especially with a hit of sharp mustard.

Ok, one more, thanks for reminding me. I love cold rare steak. Just eaten off the bone, standing in the kitchen. Big, cold, bloody, feral bites, sometimes dotted with hot sauce.

Agree with almost all, Maggie. I just don't get the cold mashed potatoes thing - but I guess I gotta try them...I normally form cold mashers into patties, and fry 'em. I do, however, love a cold baked potato, cut in half and sprinkled with sea salt. Great, healthy snack food.

One question. When I approach the refrigerator unable or unwilling to heat something up for 30 seconds, there's usually a reason. What's your reason?

Love cold pizza. It is like a whole new dish-tastes so different from hot pizza.

My aunt and uncle used to send us a smoked turkey every Chrsitmas. We would just set it on the top shelf of the refrigerator and hack off pieces until it was gone. Ate it in front of the open door because as soon as you closed the door, you realized you needed one more bite.

When my husband pulls leftovers out to nuke them, he always takes a bite of the dish cold, no matter what it is. (He does not double di though.) He says he just has to.

I was always a fan of cold pumpkin or sweet potato pie. I liked those two cold better than hot.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Aside from the already mentioned cold steak I like to nibble at chunks of roasted or poached salmon dipped in dill mustard.

And though I prefer them hot, slices of cold sweet potato sprinkled with salt are a great summer snack.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Well, of course hot mashed potatoes in any of their delightful life forms are better than cold mashed potatoes. But, at one in the morning, dipping my finger into the leftovers ...

s'good.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Cold greens that have been sauteed with garlic. Kale, chard, broccoli, bok choy. Oh yeah, cold roast cauliflower rates too. These are leftovers that I'm supposed to heat up for dinner, except they never make it to the plate.

I am known for eating raw, beef, right out of the refrigerator. My kiddle knows I've got a plan, wen I 'prep' the beef as soon as it enters the kitchen. If I'm slicing the beef up before it goes into the refrigerator, you can wager that I'll be visitng it around 3:00AM, with a little bowl of dipping sauce in my right hand, and a fork in my left!

Oh, and brownies, from the freezer. Yeeha! :wub:

edited because I am trying to foil those pesky 'bot links!

this post could easily go on the 'you know you're on egullet when...."you see a post where someone freely admits to grabbing raw beef from the fridge and eating it, a female member yet, and no one even thinks twice of it.

thanks Rebecca, this hit close to home since i do the same, (and far worse, or far better as the case may be... ive been known to sample right at the butchers) its something that bugs my family and friends, and im glad to know im not alone!!!