• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WSJ Articles on Food, Drink, Cooking, and Culinary Culture

ChocoKitty

Not sure where you're getting any of that info - as far as I can tell, the product is still one piece. And since they had to redesign to prevent steam damage, I think they've probably noticed that it generates heat.

Here is a copy of Nomiku's manual available on internet http://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=DownloadFile&id=31d8586c81dc0e35a5067f5ea72db9f5

As you can see there are 2 devices and 2 cables.

They have probably notices the heat issue and I can bet you they have underestimated it especially if someone want to coock at "high" temperature during long hours...

Not sure where you're getting any of that info - as far as I can tell, the product is still one piece. And since they had to redesign to prevent steam damage, I think they've probably noticed that it generates heat.

Here is a copy of Nomiku's manual available on internet http://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=DownloadFile&id=31d8586c81dc0e35a5067f5ea72db9f5

They have probably notices the heat issue and I can bet you they have underestimated it especially if someone want to coock at "high" temperature during long hours...

The last page of the manual shows the complete unit, a single unit with a powercord.

Although it seems reasonable to believe that this thing can run at the spec. temperatures, it's not likely to be an issue, as it's unlikely that anyone would run this thing at its highest temperature of 100°C: if you are cooking sous-vide, the last thing you'd do is cook at even close to boiling, since if you wanted tough, chewy food, you could just toss it directly into a pot of boiling water, without buying a USD360 unit to achieve this.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

The last page of the manual shows the complete unit, a single unit with a powercord.

Although it seems reasonable to believe that this thing can run at the spec. temperatures, it's not likely to be an issue, as it's unlikely that anyone would run this thing at its highest temperature of 100°C: if you are cooking sous-vide, the last thing you'd do is cook at even close to boiling, since if you wanted tough, chewy food, you could just toss it directly into a pot of boiling water, without buying a USD360 unit to achieve this.

Mjx,

The nomiku has changed a lot since they have presented the project 1 year ago.

Look at the home page, the nomiku was made mainly made of metal like aluminium http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0169/5436/t/1/assets/carousel-item-1.jpg?3

and now look how it looks like: http://blog.nomiku.com/image/49950159166

Sorry but the final version of the nomiku isn't a single unit with a power cord. It is a 2 pieces machine with 2 cables. As I told you this is a remake of the Sousvidemagic. with a better design, much more expensive and lower technical specifications. For me these cables are a no go. This is a mess in a kitchen. In addition this "power unit" probably containing the temp. controler may probably not be located close to water or steam...

Regarding your comment about boiling : nobody cook sous vide over 85°C except for vegetables. Nevertheless some pieces of meat can be cooked at 75°C during several days. Steam and heat are very agressive for equipements at these temperatures and long cooking time. Without a cooling down device (like a fan) the immersed parts of the nomiku will become very hot, expecially if a motor is included inside. Nomiku says the motor is 10 liter per minute strong. If this is the case (I doubt about it cause this is very powerfull) then they will have big issues. If the motor is less strong (3 liters per min) then this machine may survive...

Edited by FranzWagner (log)

to be fair: the older pic is a promotional one and does not show the 'power-pack' if it indeed existed at that time, and i bet it did.

this must be a transformer of some sort. so its a daisy chain of power cord to the wall --> power-pack --> unit that goes in the water.

not too much of a big deal. I have the SVM and with the aquarium pump etc its a lot more on the counter.

if to meet their price point they cheapened the materials, thats a concern. but lets wait and see.

as has already been mentioned, I no reason a stand alone unit with a circulating system of some sort cant come in at 299 and be durable.

none of these things will fly off the shelves as say BB&B . this is only `1/2 of the process.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Instead of assuming that the power pack is a bad thing, perhaps its purpose to keep some components away from steam and heat!!!!!!

I find it strange for someone to be bad-mouthing a product that's not even in production yet, based on a bunch of assumptions!

If the design doesn't appeal to you, look elsewhere!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Instead of assuming that the power pack is a bad thing, perhaps its purpose to keep some components away from steam and heat!!!!!!

I find it strange for someone to be bad-mouthing a product that's not even in production yet, based on a bunch of assumptions!

If the design doesn't appeal to you, look elsewhere!

I am just saying the idea of a compact and nice designed immersion circulator was appealing and innovative. In the end this product brings nothing really new on the market, except a funny design for the immersed part. In addition this not "bad-mouthing" pointing out that more and more often people (manufacturer/distributors) are making fun of you pretending or not mentioning things that can be of importance for you. Nomiku's teaser on kickstarter was showing a product. The final product is different and in my opinion looking cheap. Now I'll shut my mouth on this forum as it seems I am upsetting nomiku's fans barking and about to bite.

Oooooooooooo Yeh the Teaser

but thats the way things go:

final product is different not that we know of.

but you are right on the 'Teaser'

lets wait and see.

of course $$ 299 for something that might last 2 - 5 years would be good!

:biggrin::huh::blink:

The original didn't have a power cord attached at all. How would it receive the power that it needed to work?

From the best of my memory every electrical device I've seen advertised has a picture taken without the power cord: it's more aesthetically pleasing.

I don't think the Nomiku people have misled anyone by doing this.

As to the finish, it will be interesting to see how similar it is to the advertised prototype.

One thing I think we all need to remember that this was a Kickstarter project launched on the basis of a prototype that has subsequently been modified because of issues arising in testing.

If the original pictures were of a final version in production, I think there would be grounds to complain but realistically elements were going to change simply because it had not yet even reached the tooling stage.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

One thing I think we all need to remember that this was a Kickstarter project launched on the basis of a prototype that has subsequently been modified because of issues arising in testing.

Exactly!

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Wow! Looks like it may be time to call Abe up and try for the "hey, we went to highschool together and I know we haven't talked in 10 years and weren't really ever friends, but it looks like you're doing great" discount. How could someone say no to that?

I am afraid Franz Wagner AND Diggindogfarm are both right. If you have a look at Nomiku's blog update http://blog.nomiku.com/post/46515241903/major-project-update-vii-ul-etl-csa-ce it is clear that the "power box" is in fact a "switching power box":

"We’ve had a few major challenges over the last few weeks. One of them has been sourcing a power cable with multiple conductors (we needed 7) to go from the body of the Nomiku to the switching power box."

In other words the temperature PID controller is located in this box. The function of the "body of the nomiku" (the stick) located in the pot is limited to setting the temperature, heating with the heater element and stearing the water with a motor. Therefore the critical parts (PID controller) are located out of the pot far away from the heat and steam of the waterbath (as supposed by Diggindogfarm). The design of this sous vide equipment is exactly the same offered by Freashmealssolution with its Freshmealsmagic http://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=100083

I totally agree with Franzwagner, Nomiku is just another external PID controler composed of 2 components, one immersed heating part and an one external temperature controler. You can't put the Nomiku in the class of immersion circulators. In term of communication it is obvioulsy best for Nomiku not to emphasise on the genuin design of their machine. You can call this "dolus bonus".

http://www.Sousvidecooking.org a blog about cooking sous vide with low and constant temperature.

I am afraid Franz Wagner AND Diggindogfarm are both right. If you have a look at Nomiku's blog update http://blog.nomiku.com/post/46515241903/major-project-update-vii-ul-etl-csa-ce it is clear that the "power box" is in fact a "switching power box":

"We’ve had a few major challenges over the last few weeks. One of them has been sourcing a power cable with multiple conductors (we needed 7) to go from the body of the Nomiku to the switching power box."

In other words the temperature PID controller is located in this box. The function of the "body of the nomiku" (the stick) located in the pot is limited to setting the temperature, heating with the heater element and stearing the water with a motor. Therefore the critical parts (PID controller) are located out of the pot far away from the heat and steam of the waterbath (as supposed by Diggindogfarm). The design of this sous vide equipment is exactly the same offered by Freashmealssolution with its Freshmealsmagic http://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=100083

I totally agree with Franzwagner, Nomiku is just another external PID controler composed of 2 components, one immersed heating part and an one external temperature controler. You can't put the Nomiku in the class of immersion circulators. In term of communication it is obvioulsy best for Nomiku not to emphasise on the genuin design of their machine. You can call this "dolus bonus".

A switching power supply is one that converts AC to DC power. In the case of this product, it will also need to switch from 240V as well as 110V. Think of the switching power supply that sits between the power cord and the cord into your laptop computer and you get the concept.

How does this tell us that the controller is in the external box?

My eG Foodblog

A switching power supply is one that converts AC to DC power. In the case of this product, it will also need to switch from 240V as well as 110V. Think of the switching power supply that sits between the power cord and the cord into your laptop computer and you get the concept.

How does this tell us that the controller is in the external box?

Because nomiku needs 7 cables to wire the body of the Nomiku to the "power box". You don't need 7 wires for power. Don't you?

http://www.Sousvidecooking.org a blog about cooking sous vide with low and constant temperature.

As speculation on the basis of peripheral posts and documents would get us only so far I decided to write directly to the people at Nomiku.

The reply from Lisa, who admits to being a very active lurker on these forums, was as follows:

"We have a PID logic board inside of the Nomiku and the power switching is in a separate box so if the Nom falls in the water you don't get electrocuted."

We can therefore quite confidently say that the controller is within the Nomiku unit rather than in the power supply.

Edited by nickrey (log)
  • Like 1

My eG Foodblog

Mjx,

The nomiku has changed a lot since they have presented the project 1 year ago.

Look at the home page, the nomiku was made mainly made of metal like aluminium http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0169/5436/t/1/assets/carousel-item-1.jpg?3

and now look how it looks like: http://blog.nomiku.com/image/49950159166

Sorry but the final version of the nomiku isn't a single unit with a power cord. It is a 2 pieces machine with 2 cables. As I told you this is a remake of the Sousvidemagic. with a better design, much more expensive and lower technical specifications. For me these cables are a no go. This is a mess in a kitchen. In addition this "power unit" probably containing the temp. controler may probably not be located close to water or steam...

Regarding your comment about boiling : nobody cook sous vide over 85°C except for vegetables. Nevertheless some pieces of meat can be cooked at 75°C during several days. Steam and heat are very agressive for equipements at these temperatures and long cooking time. Without a cooling down device (like a fan) the immersed parts of the nomiku will become very hot, expecially if a motor is included inside. Nomiku says the motor is 10 liter per minute strong. If this is the case (I doubt about it cause this is very powerfull) then they will have big issues. If the motor is less strong (3 liters per min) then this machine may survive...

I looked at several things, beginning with the item you yourself linked to, which shows a unit and a power cord.

My laptop has a honking great power cord, but I wouldn't describe it as a 'two-part computer', even though the power cord is crucial to its use.

Steam is not generated at 75°C (except at extremely high altitudes), even if that temperature is held for a period of days; condensation might be an issue, but that might happen with any unit in a very cold kitchen.

As was mentioned above, most of this discussion is conjectural (and in my case, purely academic, since I'm not interested in acquiring sous vide equipment at this time), so we're all speculating about possible flaws and advantages of a finalized device that does not yet exist ;)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

As was mentioned above, most of this discussion is conjectural

very true, yet still somewhat fun nothing like the armchair Kibitzer!

7 wires might be: 3 wire power to the heating element ( 1 ground, two power ) 2 wire temp probe, two wire pump. the ground wire might also attach to the pump somehow.

there is no real need to put all that stuff in the imersion element. the issue is how compact have they gotten the 'box' and how easy is it to set up and store.

durability and rust proofing desirable

Edited by rotuts (log)

PID logic board is located in the body of the Nomiku

I dont see this based on the 7-wire cable. Can't say how many wires the temp probe needs: mine that connects to the external PID controller ( freshmeals ) is two wire. I just counted the wires coming out of this box

Wow, the makers say point blank that the controller is in the device itself and still the speculation continues ...

If I were them I'd avoid getting into this discussion too.

My eG Foodblog

Wow, the makers say point blank that the controller is in the device itself and still the speculation continues ...

Nickery,

This is not speculation. If the "power box's purpose is to bring energy only to the body of the nomiku, therefore you don't need 7 wires. This is common sense to admit there are many other things in this box. Probe should be linked to the controller, not tho the power box...

If I were Nomiku I would not avoid, as you said, this discussion. This would put an end to it and we would know on the spot if the Nomiku is an immersion ciculator with a separate power supply or a PID controler with a separate heater element as Sousvidemagic.

Nickery,

This is not speculation. If the "power box's purpose is to bring energy only to the body of the nomiku, therefore you don't need 7 wires. This is common sense to admit there are many other things in this box. Probe should be linked to the controller, not tho the power box...

If I were Nomiku I would not avoid, as you said, this discussion. This would put an end to it and we would know on the spot if the Nomiku is an immersion ciculator with a separate power supply or a PID controler with a separate heater element as Sousvidemagic.

You might use 7 wires if you want to avoid power conversion above/in the water. The input requirements for the heater, PID, display and pump quite likely are all different and it may be easiest to split it in the brick. Given that it is a fairly reasonable setup and that the Nomiku developers have very little reason to lie about it, I have no problem with the idea that they are using 7 wires to provide power only.

- Sharif

Edited by Sharif (log)
  • Like 1