• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WSJ Articles on Food, Drink, Cooking, and Culinary Culture

ChocoKitty

Typed below are the descriptions of the coffee makers. I am not posting the article due to copyright restrictions.

Cooking.com

Capresso MT500

Coffee Maker

$169.95

Cooking.com

800-663-8810

QUALITY: Best Overall. Sleek machine quickly brewed in seven minutes, had the best range of features and produced a great cup.

SHIPPING COST/TIME: We paid $16.99 for standard shipping, within seven days. Ours took three.

RETURN POLICY: For replacement or refund, for any reason. Buyer pays return shipping, unless defective.

PHONE/WEB EXPERIENCE: Site sells 40,000 kitchen items and has dozens of glass and thermal coffee makers. This was listed as a best seller.

COMMENT: All the models recommend a periodic water-and-vinegar flush, to remove mineral deposits -- every eight to 10 months for the Capresso, longer than most.

Espresso Zone

DeLonghi 10-Cup

Thermal Coffee Maker

$79.95

espressozone.com

800-345-8945

QUALITY: Best Value. A well-rated brew. Includes a reusable filter, pause function, automatic timer and double-wall stainless-steel carafe.

SHIPPING COST/TIME: We paid $7.95, in five days.

RETURN POLICY: For full refund within 30 days, in original packaging. Buyer pays shipping. Return authorization required.

PHONE/WEB EXPERIENCE: Site focuses on high-end espresso machines and only carries DeLonghi drip makers. Customer service available on weekdays.

COMMENT: Maker recommends decalcifying with water and vinegar every three months.

Zaccardi's

Zojirushi Fresh Brew Stainless Steel

Vacuum Insulated Carafe Coffee Maker

$89.99

zaccardis.com

877-839-8998

QUALITY: Simple to use and attractive. Vacuum-insulated carafe kept coffee the hottest of the five. Features include pause function, auto shutoff and timer.

SHIPPING COST/TIME: Standard shipping cost $14.80, in six days.

RETURN POLICY: Within 30 days for coffee makers. Buyers must obtain authorization and pay for insured return shipping.

PHONE/WEB EXPERIENCE: Dozens of glass and thermal drip makers are available here, including the Capresso for $169. You can also browse a buyer's guide and 360-degree product views.

COMMENT: Delivery includes a free sample of Zaccardi's roasted coffee. Model makes up to 10 cups of coffee -- as do all but the Technivorm, which makes eight.

Coffee Bean Corral

Technivorm KBTS brewer

$190

coffeebeancorral.com

877-987-1233

QUALITY: Looks cool and emphasizes correct brewing temperature, but it had a lot of removable parts. No timer or automatic shutoff.

SHIPPING COST/TIME: Ground shipping, at $7.39, arrived in five days.

RETURN POLICY: Unless defective, within 30 days. Return authorization required. Buyer must pay return shipping and a restocking fee of 10% to 25%.

PHONE/WEB EXPERIENCE: Site (with 13 makers, mostly Technivorm and Bunn) targets home roasters. Model is out of stock, expected back in early June.

COMMENT: A Technivorm spokesman says the removable parts allow for easy cleaning, and adds the flat taste could have been from softened water or the coffee itself.

Whole Latte Love

Bunn BT10 Thermal Coffee Brewer

$139.99

wholelattelove.com

888-411-5282

QUALITY: Coffee brews in a speedy three minutes. Carafe retained the least heat after four hours, but was easy to clean.

SHIPPING COST/TIME: Free ground shipping. Items shipped within 48 hours, for arrival within five business days.

RETURN POLICY: Within 30 days. Buyer pays return shipping and must receive authorization.

PHONE/WEB EXPERIENCE: Site has many models, including Capresso for $169. "Compare-O-Matic" page showed that the Bunn had good customer reviews.

COMMENT: Panel thought flat-bottom paper filter left a bitter taste. Bunn spokeswoman says filter "is designed for more even extraction," and that styling is a "classic look."

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

• 8 months later...

This weekend the WSJ did a story on Cafe Annie (Houston) and the "power" tables there. They have done a few of these and they are quite interesting. This time they picked one of my favorite resteraunts so I paid more attention. I wonder how the journal select its subjects--obviously geography, clientele, quality, rating--I think it would be coup to be reviewed.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Jay McInerney, author of seven novels including "Brite Lites, Big City", and Lettie Teague, the gifted former executive wine editor and columnist with Food & Wine, were named as the new wine comunmists for the WSJ.

Jay likes Bordeaux but is moving toward Burgundy as his favorite wine. Lettie favors Loire Valley whites and Riesling--from Germany, Alsace, etc, etc and finally gets around to Washington and New York. It was a short interview, but no mention was made of California, Italy, Oregon, Chile, Argentina, or Australia. I'm sure they will be part of the column in the future.

I'll look forward to them filling the big shoes of Dottie & John. Good luck Jay & Lettie--welcome to the WSJ, I'm a loyal reader and look forward to your contributions.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

• 1 year later...

Not all here may read the Wall Street Journal on a regular basis, but maybe it should at least be a weekend read. In the Weekend Wall Street Journal where they cover more cooking topics in depth, a cover story of the Off Duty section was "With Ice, Size Matters' where they talk about trends in ice served in drinks. They also had a sidebar explaining how to make various sizes and shapes of ice.

Another article was a recipe for Quinoa with Sweet Peas and Sour Cream Dressing. The next article talked about "Stew's Spring Awakening" and how navarin d'agneau showcases first crops of vegetables and lamb. The sidebar on that page was comparing coffee grinders. Finally, there was a long piece by Jay McInerney on Chef Eric Ripert and his sommelier Aldo Sohm about difficult wine parings.

They have an abundance of interesting cooking, food and wine topics.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

I lost interest when they gave John and Dottie the boot :angry:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Once again on the cutting edge of jouranlism, the Wall St. Journal notices that cocktails are getting smaller. Well, knock me over with a feather. Or, preferably, a properly sized Manhattan...

In right-size volumes, drinks can be bolder. A spirit-forward classic such as the Widow's Kiss, made with apple brandy, Chartreuse and Benedictine, is fascinating in small quantities but overpowering when supersized.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Once again on the cutting edge of jouranlism, the Wall St. Journal notices that cocktails are getting smaller. Well, knock me over with a feather. Or, preferably, a properly sized Manhattan...

I thought the same thing when I read the article. But perhaps I travel in the wrong circles as I know many who expect a BIG drink of ...well....whatever.

The glassware pictured in the article is lovely and made me want to go and mix something up even though I read it on Friday AM before work!

Edited to add that I tried the Neon yesterday, despite lacking the so-named Waterford crystal coupes. I think it would have tasted better from the fancy glass :laugh:

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

This was a difficult one for me. Starting out as a bartender and self-taught at that- looking at a "bible" revealed to me that many of the drinks just wouldn't pass muster appearance-wise with the glassware we had and the prices we were charging. So I had to scale them up. Plus, I see many bartenders falling prey to using agitation with ice to make the drinks seem appropriate but end up with a watered down cocktail- especially when martini's are involved.

I'm all for smaller intensely flavored drinks. As long as they are faithful and made properly. I like a strong drink but usually they are pre-meal and I've fallen out plenty of times due to thirds becoming fourths etc...; skipping dinner and hitting the pillow way too early being the result.

Let's see if the Nation follows suit. I believe NYC usually sets the standard.

I think there is a happy medium. With frozen glassware and/or hard cold ice, 3-4 oz of ingredients into the shaker makes a satisfying drink that is easily finished before it gets warm or watery. A very high proof drink, like a 4:1 Martini would get a bit less (maybe 2.5 oz plus dilution).

Oh, and the reason that a historic 2:1:1 Widow's Kiss tastes lousy after a few sips is because it tastes lousy after one. It needs more spirit or acid.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This nomiku project is a big deception for me. It sounds more and more like a no ending project. I was particularly attracted by the design of a small standalone device but it has shifted into a 2 parts machine, one immersed in water and the other one located somewhere on a table connected by a cable. This reminds me the design of the Sousvidemagic of Freshmealssolutions (a rice cooker or the bubbler on one side and the temperature controller on the other side. In addition I am not sure if the Nomiku team has really taken into consideration the fact that a motor generates heat and without ventilation the Nomiku will certainly overheat... IMO this machine is a planned disaster for intensive users who plan cooking more than 4 hours a day...

Edited by FranzWagner (log)

Not sure where you're getting any of that info - as far as I can tell, the product is still one piece. And since they had to redesign to prevent steam damage, I think they've probably noticed that it generates heat.