• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Averna Cocktail Competition

Chris Amirault

As someone who's tweaking at least five different infusions or bitters currently, I'm not making the case for readily available ingredients in cocktails. I'm making the case for readily available ingredients in a cocktail contest that has no posted rules and may get me to Sicily.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I finally got an answer to my questions from someone at AvernaUSA. There are definitely no rules, but the contest is still limited to ONE entry per person, which makes the final beverage have to be one's best effort.

But that's as it should be I suspect. I'm still working on something with applejack and ginger. Fair success so far. No final recipe to report yet as there are too many permutations to decide which is best. Yet.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

One entry per person? Uh oh. Where did you see/read that?

Disclaimer

"Only one entry per person and per e-mail address will be accepted. Duplicate entries will be disregarded. "

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

Sounds like I'm sunk.

ETA: Sounds like that AAA Cocktail is going to be my first and only entry. Sounds good to me, as it's the one I've made a few times and found tastiest so far.

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I've tried muddled ginger and applejack with some good results and then got a crazed idea to do some muddled basil to bring out more of the herbaceousness of the Averna. Again, some success but nothing I'm pleased enough with to send in yet. Back to the laboratory...

I think I might go with rum next. The bonded applejack is nice but I'm not sure I'm completely sold on it in combination with the Averna. :shrug:

I really do wish to send in something that's easily replicatable. Regardless of whether it's stated in the rules, I suspect drinks that require too many wacky ingredients/steps/homemade things in them already have a strike against them.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the final version of the drink I submitted for the contest. I doubt I'll do well, it being so rushed at the end and all. I actually cobbled this together on faith after making several other preliminary variations with either the bonded Applejack or rum. I can imagine how it will taste, so I'm not too worried about that. But I have a local Bluecoat Bartender Battle coming up in a couple of weeks, so I'm concentrating on that, since it's a lot likelier to have an impact on the business in my bar than the Averna contest would. Much as I'd love a trip to Sicily, I think driving more business into the door at my present place of employ takes precedent. But hey. If they like my drink I'll be happy to mix it up for them with a change of scenery thrown in the mix! I like the Averna mixed with Applejack. This drink is reminiscent of a Long Island Iced Tea without the big bang or big hangover. :biggrin:

Palermo Chiller

Nickel sized slice of fresh peeled ginger

.5 oz. Cointreau

.25 oz. Fee Brothers Orgeat Cordial Syrup

2 oz. Laird’s Bonded Applejack (100 proof)

.75 oz. Averna

2 dashes Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged bitters

2 oz. Ginger ale

1 oz. Club soda

Wedge of lemon

Muddle ginger in bottom of shaker in Cointreau and orgeat syrup. Fill shaker with ice. Add Applejack, Averna and bitters. Shake and strain over fresh ice in a tall Collins glass. Add ginger ale and soda and stir. Garnish with lemon wedge. Squeeze lemon wedge, drop into drink and stir before first sip.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

This was my humble contribution.

Tuesdays with Mole

1 oz Goslings Black Seal

1 oz Hine H cognac

3/4 Averna

1/2 demerara syrup

1/2 lemon

egg white

Dry shake excessively, then shake with ice cubes roughly the size of late-career Orson Welles. Strain into chilled coupe. Hit it with 5 drops of Bittermen's Xocolatl Mole bitters as an aromatic garnish.

It's just cold booze in a glass. Drink it, dammit.

Just got this from Averna:

Thank you again for entering the ?Have a New Look at Averna? Cocktail Contest which concluded March 31, 2008 at 11:59pm EST.

The screening process is underway and we will begin announcing the Semi-Finalists on Friday, April 4th,starting with the entrants from the Western region, by email and phone call. 

SAVE THE DATE!!!

Three Regional Semi-Finalist Competitions will be held as follows:

Western Regional Competition - Monday, April 14th  6PM

Cantina, 580 Sutter St, San Francisco, CA - (415) 398-0195

Includes entrants from all U.S. states west of the Rocky Mountains

Northeast Regional Competition ? Monday, April 21st  4PM

Devon Tavern, 363 Greenwich St, New York, NY - (212) 334-7337

Includes entrants from all U.S. states north of North Carolina and east of the Rocky Mountains (excluding IL & IN)

Southeast/Midwest Regional Competition ? Monday, April 28th  3:30PM

The Lounge at Casa Tua Hotel, 1700 James Ave, Miami, FL - (305) 673-0973

Includes entrants from all U.S states south of Virginia and east of the Rocky Mountains

Semifinalists must be present for the competition in order to participate.  Semifinalists will be permitted to appoint a representative on their behalf if they are legitimately unable to be present for the designated regional competition.  Winners will be announced during the competitions.  From the regional competitions a total of 5 semi-finalists (min 1 per region) will be chosen and sponsored by Averna USA to fly to Italy and compete for the grand prize (a $1500 AmEx gift card.) 

Fingers crossed!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

No one? Yikes.

nope.

oh well. but cocktail contests are fun... i wish more spirits companies would do them... i have a weird feeling averna didn't know what they were getting into... without rules there is barely anyway to try a drink submission that would use avante garde or specialty ingredients... so noone can really express themselves... some dumb it down to off the shelf stuff while others are over looked because it couldn't be recreated...

well i enjoyed reading the thread. thanks to anyone that posted...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that eGullet's own Donbert has won himself a trip to Sicily.

I believe that Thomas Waugh of Alembic, and Duggan McDonnell of Cantina, in San Francisco, won the West Coast Regional, and along with the Southeast Regional winner (to be determined next week), will join Donbert in representing the US in the Averna worldwide finals in Caltanisseta, Italy.

I believe that Thomas Waugh of Alembic, and Duggan McDonnell of Cantina, in San Francisco, won the West Coast Regional, and along with the Southeast Regional winner (to be determined next week), will join Donbert in representing the US in the Averna worldwide finals in Caltanisseta, Italy.

cool. but does anyone have the drink recipes? i still have half a bottle of averna...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Not Duggan McDonnel from Cantina, but Jeff Hollinger from Absinthe will be travelling to Sicily with Thomas.

I think I might have some of the recipes in one of the press releases, will check...

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I believe a certain Mister Damon Dyer will also be joining us in Sicily for the finals...

Here was my entry:

La Cola Nostra

1.5 oz Ron Zacapa 23

1 oz Averna

.75 oz Lime

.5 oz Simple

.25 oz Pimento Dram

Shake and strain into a tall glass with ice.

Top with about 2 oz of Moët White Star.

Garnish with candied lime wheel.

I believe a certain Mister Damon Dyer will also be joining us in Sicily for the finals...

Here was my entry:

La Cola Nostra

1.5 oz Ron Zacapa 23

1 oz Averna

.75 oz Lime

.5 oz Simple

.25 oz Pimento Dram

Shake and strain into a tall glass with ice.

Top with about 2 oz of Moët White Star.

Garnish with candied lime wheel.

Congratulations!!!!

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

Excellent! Nicely done Don and Damon! Congrats to both of you!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Ahhhh, yes, so it was Jeff Hollinger that took the SF regionals. My apologies. Seems that I was the recipient of some bad information.

Now, Donbert's drink is a fine one. I recomend mixing up, and imbibing 3-4 of these immediately.

KatieLoeb- I'll have one of mine waiting for you the next time you venture up here to my lil' drink joint again.

Ahhhh, yes, so it was Jeff Hollinger that took the SF regionals.  My apologies.  Seems that I was the recipient of some bad information.

[...]

Interestingly, Mr. Hollinger was out of town at the time of the competition so Jackie Patterson, (currently at Orson,) actually mixed his drink for the semi-finals.

Mr. McDonnell has some formal relationship with Averna, and I believe acted as a judge for, at least, the West Coast semi-finals.

I looked back through the press releases and, unfortunately, none of them included recipes. Perhaps after the whole thing is over they will publish them on the Averna site.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

This was my humble contribution. 

Tuesdays with Mole

1 oz Goslings Black Seal

1 oz Hine H cognac

3/4 Averna

1/2 demerara syrup

1/2 lemon

egg white

Dry shake excessively, then shake with ice cubes roughly the size of late-career Orson Welles.  Strain into chilled coupe.  Hit it with 5 drops of Bittermen's Xocolatl Mole bitters as an aromatic garnish.

Had the good fortune to enjoy this last night. I really loved how the rum came through. I'm a huge amaro fan, but usually see it show up in Manhattan variants and the like. This was a wonderful surprise.

I would still like to know if the bottle of Averna I have in my kitchen qualifies me in any way for the Sicily trip.

KatieLoeb- I'll have one of mine waiting for you the next time you venture up here to my lil' drink joint again.

Excellent! You're on. That's an excuse in itself for a trip. Hopefully I can walk the two blocks and try one of Donbert's as well.

I'll let you know when to expect me. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I did get to try Thomas Waugh's entry.

I thought his cocktail did a good job of both featuring the Averna and re-interpreting a classic cocktail.

It was a bit of a shock which classic cocktail he chose to re-interpret with Averna, but he somehow managed to take something I would normally be tempted to pour down the drain and make it intriguing.

I could probably come pretty close to the recipe, but I'll leave it as a surprise for you when you get to Sicily.

Best of luck to everyone!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Hello all.

I've been a faithful reader for quite some time. I thought I would share my entry. I was a semi-finalist in New York.

Frim Fram

1 oz Averna

1oz Partida Reposado

1 oz fresh squeezed Ruby Red grapefruit juice

1/2 oz wildflower honey syrup

1 tsp Champagne vinegar

Shake with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Enjoy

I hope this helps with everyones stockpiles of Averna :smile: