• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hofbrau Munchen on Lincoln Road

Nathan

was positively surprised by this place.

a rather small German beer selection. had some hearty plates of wurstsalat, curry wurst, kassler ripchen and the like. pretty good. certainly one of the better options on that strip.

You didn't care for DaLeo, Papillon or even World Resources? And, c'mon, Kim's is great for classic American Chinese! But, honestly, DaLeo- not on your radar? You've got to go- it's fantastic, really.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

What's to be 'impressed' with? Da Leo makes their sauces from scratch, their soups are incredible, not much to be impressed with? Delicious Tuscan fare. Authentic as well. Go to their original location in Lucca, the recipes are the same. The family has been running the business since the beginning of the last century. The waitstaff, the cooks, almost all original transplants from Italy. This restaurant could easily be pretentious and up their prices, and still be busy. That they choose to remain affordable and accessible is just an incredible testament to the family's good souls. Their service is impeccable, tables are well appointed... I'm not one for risotto but I do know that they make an authentic and delicious one. I do not eat Osso Bucco either, but the food critic who eats there with me orders this whenever he is able to visit them.

Papillon is what a neighborhood bistro SHOULD be, fresh, from scratch foods. Stay away from the sandwiches, is my motto. Oh, their omelettes, so good! The apple tart is wonderful, too. The wine list is pretty good for a bistro, as well. Very French, so? It's also very delicious. Oh, and you're not 'interested' in American Chinese? Ever? Too bad for you. In my opinion, everything has it's place, if it's well done. When we're drunk and there are ten of us hankering for some salty comfort food, we hit Kim's, San Loco or Puerto Sagua, definitely! I'm not a rarified eater, even if I am considered some sort of gourmande... well, the word gourmande really means one who likes food, and I DO!

Regardless, you're really missing something, if you don't even care for Da Leo. Maybe you went to some other restaurant, and mistook the name. Honestly, I can't fathom any other reason for your dismissal of the restaurant. It's that good.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Da Leo is a TRATTORIA. Sardinia is NOT. I'll take a well executed 100 year old recipe any day. For instance, a few months ago, I had a cream of squash soup there. The soup was so silky, so fresh and yet also earthy tasting- I know that they do not use any dairy in their creamed soups, I couldn't figure it out. I have cooked my share of fine soups, but never had I achieved this texture in my root based soups-so, I asked. The waiter explained to me that the squash is cooked, and forced, multiple times, over the course of an entire day, and served the next day. That is excellent trattoria cooking, and the results are delicious. I've eaten all over the world, I've eaten in every kind of restaurant imaginable, and I eat in NY biweekly. There's no blowing out of the water going on, Da Leo is very good at what they do. They're not a red sauce Italian American place, nor are they the FL of Italian food- they're an authentic Italian trattoria.

Snooty? No, just not a qualified judge of the particular restaurant we're discussing, and, perhaps, Lincoln Road itself.

Oh, and Papillon? Try the omelette, have a glass of red wine, stretch your attitude a bit, it's delicious.

Cheap is David's Cafe, a decent glass of juice, burnt espresso- and well, I order french fries* there- I know they keep a clean fryer, at least!

*edited to add: that's pommes frites for snooty NY'ers. LOL

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

I've never been impressed with Da Leo, and Hofbrau can barely keep the beer cold. Eating on Lincoln Road is a minefield. Do as locals do. Eat elsewhere. The only consistently good food is Moules Frites at Le Bon, and $3 beers at Zeke's (beeer is considered food, no?).

I've never been impressed with Da Leo, and Hofbrau can barely keep the beer cold.  Eating on Lincoln Road is a minefield.  Do as locals do.  Eat elsewhere.  The only consistently good food is Moules Frites at Le Bon, and $3 beers at Zeke's (beeer is considered food, no?).

I agree with your general sentiment...but German beer is supposed to be served only slightly chilled.

I've never been impressed with Da Leo, and Hofbrau can barely keep the beer cold.  Eating on Lincoln Road is a minefield.  Do as locals do.  Eat elsewhere.  The only consistently good food is Moules Frites at Le Bon, and $3 beers at Zeke's (beeer is considered food, no?).

I agree with your general sentiment...but German beer is supposed to be served only slightly chilled.

Edited to add: They can barely keep the beer slightly chilled.