• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar-free buttercream

alligande

I have had a request for a sugar free wedding cake, I don't have any problems with the cake part, but I was wondering if I could use Isomalt as a sugar sunstitute in IMBC and french buttercream, and if I can what would be the ratio sugar = isomalt? If Isomalt won't work has any one any suggestions?

Thanks

The isomalt will probably work, since you can make a syrup with it just like with sugar. The proportions are the same. The only difference is the isomalt doesn't taste as sweet as sugar, so you may have to add some additional flavor.

I make a sugar free icing by using the recipe that cooks flour in milk, then whips in butter and sugar. But instead of sugar I use Sweet n' Low or Equal after it is getting fluffy. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but if you want it I will post it later.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

use cream cheese and butter then flavor it after (as mentioned above) it is all fluffed up

for sweetener

you have to mix at least three sweeteners I think

I am not sure where you live but if by chance you live in Canada mix in cyclamates ...if not you could try sweet n low I guess I have not ..but while they are ll not great on their own the mixture of them seems to counteract the bitter chemical flavor...

second use far less sweetener than you think you will need ...then taste you will know the moment it is right ..you can correct too little but it is a pain in the ass to try to correct too much

my mixture for nice sugar free chemically concocted sweetness is

1 part Splenda

1 part cyclamates

and a tiny bit of stevia (like no more than 1/2 tsp)

this gives you a more rounded sweetness I think ...you can also use sugar alcohols but serving a crowd I would not take that chance unless there were plenty of bathrooms that is for sure :shock:

I am sorry I know you asked about isomalt ..I have no clue about that

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

this gives you a more rounded sweetness I think ...you can also use sugar alcohols but serving a crowd I would not take that chance unless there were plenty of bathrooms that is for sure  :shock:

I am sorry I know you asked about isomalt ..I have no clue about that

Isomalt is a sugar alcohol, and the same advice applies. Different folks will react differently to eating Isomalt. I did a low-carb chocolate mousse cake for a small get-together a couple years back (few friends, all of whom were doing the low-carb thing). Most of those who ate it just got gassy from it. One guy got cramps.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

I have had a request for a sugar free wedding cake, I don't have any problems with the cake part

Please tell me how you make a decent sugar free cake. The keyword here: decent.

All cake recipes I have found are low sugar at best, where only half the sugar is replaced by a substitute. From what my baking knowledge tells me, it's pretty darn hard to bake a nice moist

cake without SOME sugar. What do you know that I don't know? :wub:

Now Annie, I did not say it was going to be decent, edible yes..... I have a soft spot for brides with dietary restrictions but really want a wedding cake, now I am not a pushover I do refuse to make things like red velvet. I did once make a wedding cake that was gluten, egg and dairy free its only saving grace was she could eat chocolate with that no cake..

how about this?

calls for Xanthum gum

recipe

I would still mix the Splenda with another sweetener however

That's a very interesting formula and I've printed if off for a later date. My only comment is to add the vanilla after everything cools off. The flavor will about cook away if you boil it three minutes in the first go 'round there. And I think I would tweak some other areas when I make this but the vanilla is the only biggie. But this looks very promising.

(I made some Guinness brownies because our little Chef-boy is visiting with us. So guess what I had 3 of for breakfast??!! (#%$@) Talk about begatting. Y'know carbs can begat carbs all day but sugar is a dang black hole you can't find your way back out of...wonder how many are left...)

Edited to say: But no, I mean I'm being very conservative here. I'm only eating the top half with the white chocolate frosting. :raz:

xanthum gum in any sugar free frosting works like a charm!!!

just use a very easy hand it can go from good to horrible in seconds if you add too much of this stuff!

Thanks for the input on this, I am curious how much of a cream cheese flavor does the frosting have, it is such a distinct flavor normally?

xanthum gum in any sugar free frosting works like a charm!!!

just use a very easy hand it can go from good to horrible in seconds if you add too much of this stuff!

Thanks for the input on this, I am curious how much of a cream cheese flavor does the frosting have, it is such a distinct flavor normally?

it is only an oz so not much and since you are not using sugar it is makes it much more fluffy ..you can try not to use it and increase the cream it would be fine I bet ...I believe I have done that before

I make a chocolate version of this and use sour cream instead of the cream cheese

make a small amt and play with it if you can until you get what you want flavor wise I would say

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet