• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Epazote bad for pregnant and nursing women?

MelissaH

We decided it was time to rejuvenate our AeroGarden. This time around we went with the "South of the Border" selection, which gives us globe basil, thyme, two cilantros, parsley, oregano, and epazote. The plants are all doing nicely, and when it was time to feed them I decided I'd better read the book that came with the seed pods. And in at least two different places, there are prominent warnings that pregnant and nursing women should NOT use epazote.

This is the first time I've come across a warning for epazote, as though it's in the same category as, say, cat litter boxes, unpasteurized cheeses, or sushi. Is this common practice? Why haven't I seen warnings in any of my Mexican cookbooks?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Here in Mexico the use of epazote for purging parasites is well known. And when I consulted my cleaning lady ( an invaluable source of local lore) she confirmed that and the dangers of eating TOO much epazote when pregnant or nursing. The only other information on epazote comes from different sites ( see below) that are natural/homeopath remedy sites.

As an aside epazote in the USA is considered a weed. When my mother first arrived in the USA she caused quite a stir when we would go to Central Park (1950's - pre dog days) and she would pick the "weeds". Hope this helps and remember "everything in moderation".

Congratulations by the way.

"Used as both a food and a remedy, the plant was used by the Aztecs, who developed very sophisticated and refined uses to flavour many of their dishes with the herb. Today, it remains a staple in Mexican cooking, spiking a pot of beans with its tangy flavour.

Medicinally, the Aztecs used the plant to treat asthma and dysentery. Mexicans consider it a first-line of defence against intestinal parasites (especially roundworms and hookworms), administering it to adults and children alike, as well as to animals. A tea is used for menstrual cramps, fever, and chills."

Key Actions

antifungal

anti-inflammatory

antispasmodic

cardiac stimulant

digestive tonic

expels worms, especially roundworm and hookworm

promotes menstruation

PREGNANCY: UTERINE VASODILATORS

CHENOPODIUM (Epazote. Wormseed)

Anti-parasite herb

http://92024.com/herbsnpregnancy.htm

http://www.herbalsafety.utep.edu/herbs-pdfs/epazote.pdf

http://www.herbalsafety.utep.edu/literature.asp?pk=23

An emmenagogue? Interesting! A daily bowl of black beans - heart healthy birth control?

Edited by theabroma (log)

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Correct. Epazote should not be consumed. It's traditional use as an anti-flatulent has been disproven...there aren't any indications that epazote breaks down the oligosaccharides. So, in my opinion, the nominal flavor component that epazote adds to a dish is not worth the risk.