• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ped Egg vs. Microplane

annecros

As Seen on TV

Best of all, this great new product has been designed to collect all the skin shavings in a convenient storage compartment allowing you to use it anywhere with no mess. When you’re ready to empty the PedEgg™, all you need to do is open the convenient compartment over the garbage and dump them out. You and your feet will love the new PedEgg™!

So I caught the commercial over the weekend, and was thinking when I saw the demonstration on the orange that this might make a great kitchen gadget. I love my microplane, but this is self contained and all that other neat stuff.

They are on BOGO right now, and I wouldn't mind having a pedicure tool around. Thinking about taking a sharpie to them, one to be labeled "Feet Only" and another to be labeled "Kitchen Only" and giving it a whirl.

Has anyone used this item in this application? Are there any concerns besides having feet shavings in your limoncello?

Funny you should start this topic. I had a pedi when I was in Hollywood, FL(US1 near Rosie's Italian Ice in the plaza with Blockbuster and Quizno's) 3 weeks ago. They used one of those wider microplate grates on my heels and I was wondering if this was a new pedi tool from Microplane. I actually have the same flat wide microplane( I use it for cheese) and I was thinking maybe I could use it myself on my heels. It did a great( grate, LOL) job!!!

Oh boy. This could lend a whole new meaning to "smelly feet" cheese! :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

How cool is THAT!
Has anyone used this item in this application? Are there any concerns besides having feet shavings in your limoncello?

would that be just a little different than using my woodworking chisels to chip chocolate?

or one of those TV serrated knives which can cut down a tree and then slice the tomato?

sharpie marker sounds like a plan

Karen Dar Woon

I thought the same thing seeing the commercial over and over this weekend!! Especially since they show it grating an orange too. Let us know if you do try it.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

And Microplane has been making a couple of styles of foot files! (not inexpensive)

ya beat me to it...and they are great (or should that be "grate"...sorry!!)

i sell the food ones in my cooking school, but when i got a promo piece on the foot ones, i could not resist. they are amazing....and horrifying, at the same time.

but never the twain shall meet...one stays home, one goes to the school. i'm glad they came up with a completely different design. otherwise, everytime i grated the zest off a lemon, i'd be thinking about...ewww!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Well, I ordered my two "Deluxe Ped Egg Platinum Pro's" this morning. I think the Platinum Pro thing is basically just a darker plastic, but they also said it had more surface blades - so we shall see.

Anne's test kitchen will be open in 4 to 6 weeks! :biggrin:

shoot, and I had it the other way around - I was thinking "hey, i can use a microplane for a pedi!". am I the only one who was beyond grossed out when they emptied the shavings into the trash? omg...

still, this ped-egg in the kitchen seems like a marvelous idea - containing all the loose lemon zest or parm. and it's ergonomic!

• 2 weeks later...

The Eagle has landed.

I already have a lemon - out tomorrow to shop for hard cheese and chocolate. Pictures to come.

It came in a very discreet brown box - my mailperson will not know that I have scaly feet - or that I am planing food stuffs with a pedicure tool.

It was made in China by the way - lest there be any doubt.

Well, I didn't expect this - I really expected the Ped Egg to be useless in the kitchen.

First, the people at TeleBrands say to never, ever do this at home, and the PedEgg should only be deployed for its intended use:

gallery_39581_5651_173882.jpg

So, I took my life in my hands and sliced a sacrificial lemon in half.

gallery_39581_5651_489862.jpg

Sixty strokes with the PedEgg:

gallery_39581_5651_80250.jpg

Sixty strokes with my MicroPlane:

gallery_39581_5651_83889.jpg

Results:

gallery_39581_5651_326781.jpg

Now, I know I am probably comparing Apples to Oranges, and I do know that MicroPlane makes a grater with smaller blades, but darn that ergonomic design!

My hands are sometimes arthritic and the PedEgg was much less awkward on the curved edge of the fruit I was planing. That catch box is much neater. The metal in the PedEgg is of course, much flimsier, and may not hold up to harder stuff that I will be trying next. I'm not sure if the metal grate in the PedEgg is even food safe!

Conclusion so far: If you were stuck on a desert Island with citrus trees and the only kitchen tool you have is a PedEgg, yes, you can utilize it as a zester! :biggrin:

Seriously, you could have knocked me and hubby over with a feather.

Well, I didn't expect this - I really expected the Ped Egg to be useless in the kitchen.

. . . .

Conclusion so far: If you were stuck on a desert Island with citrus trees and the only kitchen tool you have is a PedEgg, yes, you can utilize it as a zester! :biggrin:

Hey, thanks for taking one for the team! :biggrin:

I do love that catcher on the pedi thing, but you are right - that microplane is not the one I use to zest citrus.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

. . . .

Hey, thanks for taking one for the team! :biggrin:

I do love that catcher on the pedi thing, but you are right - that microplane is not the one I use to zest citrus.

Me either, but was trying to work a costing sort of comparison in there, and that was the cheapest MP in my arsenal.

The PedEgg does cheese.

gallery_39581_5651_647561.jpg

Actually, I prefer this tool in this application. We consumed the PedEgged product this time - no ill effects reported. The lemon zest was dehydrated and is in my spice rack.

I knocked a couple of corners off before I got the hang of it, but then it was smooth, quick sailing and no mess.

Conclusion: The PedEgg is not only a zester, it will grate your hard cheese into a big cheesy fluff.

I guess chocolate is next, because those are the three things I plane. Unless someone can come up with a PedEgg challenge.

. . .

I guess chocolate is next, because those are the three things I plane. Unless someone can come up with a PedEgg challenge.

So here's my challenge - garlic! That's one of the things that I use my rasp for on a regular basis. :smile:

My 2004 eG Blog