• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch in DC

Kim Shook

I didn't know if I should tag this onto my other topic or not, since I'm looking for different info. We are going to DC for the weekend of 2/9 & 2/10 and I'm now looking for somewhere for Sunday brunch.

I was thinking of breakfast at Trio's, and then making our way to either Eastern or DuPont market. But the people we are going with seem to want to sleep late on Sunday and do a brunch rather than a b'fast and a lunch (I really don't get sleeping late and only getting one meal when you could get up early and have two :laugh:).

We are staying in Crystal City, so anywhere in DC or Arlington or Alexandria would be great. I would still love to go to the markets or wander around Old Town, so those areas would be welcome.

Ta so much! Kim

I didn't know if I should tag this onto my other topic or not, since I'm looking for different info.  We are going to DC for the weekend of 2/9 & 2/10 and I'm now looking for somewhere for Sunday brunch. 

I was thinking of breakfast at Trio's, and then making our way to either Eastern or DuPont market.  But the people we are going with seem to want to sleep late on Sunday and do a brunch rather than a b'fast and a lunch (I really don't get sleeping late and only getting one meal when you could get up early and have two  :laugh:). 

We are staying in Crystal City, so anywhere in DC or Arlington or Alexandria would be great.  I would still love to go to the markets or wander around Old Town, so those areas would be welcome.

Ta so much!  Kim

Vermillion in Old Town would be great! Dupont Market is from 10-1 during the winter. For brunch near Dupont, try Circle Bistro, Tonic or The Tabard Inn. Leave room for sampling at the market!

I didn't know if I should tag this onto my other topic or not, since I'm looking for different info.  We are going to DC for the weekend of 2/9 & 2/10 and I'm now looking for somewhere for Sunday brunch. 

I was thinking of breakfast at Trio's, and then making our way to either Eastern or DuPont market.  But the people we are going with seem to want to sleep late on Sunday and do a brunch rather than a b'fast and a lunch (I really don't get sleeping late and only getting one meal when you could get up early and have two  :laugh:). 

We are staying in Crystal City, so anywhere in DC or Arlington or Alexandria would be great.  I would still love to go to the markets or wander around Old Town, so those areas would be welcome.

Ta so much!  Kim

Vermillion in Old Town would be great! Dupont Market is from 10-1 during the winter. For brunch near Dupont, try Circle Bistro, Tonic or The Tabard Inn. Leave room for sampling at the market!

Tonic's a bit of a hike (though it's on the 42 bus line, the greatest of all DC routes). I have to add Bistro du Coin which is far from a snazzy brunch but is also relatively cheap, and draws a great crowd, including farmers from the market and -- on one occasion when I was there -- Beard Foundation Chef of the Year Michel Richard and clan. If you want the Tabard -- and it's a lovely spot -- make reservations now and ask for one of the side rooms.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Ta so much!  Kim

Tonic's a bit of a hike (though it's on the 42 bus line, the greatest of all DC routes). I have to add Bistro du Coin which is far from a snazzy brunch but is also relatively cheap, and draws a great crowd, including farmers from the market and -- on one occasion when I was there -- Beard Foundation Chef of the Year Michel Richard and clan. If you want the Tabard -- and it's a lovely spot -- make reservations now and ask for one of the side rooms.

What's the brunch menu like at BDC? Mostly eggs or a selection from their menu? I'm at the Dupont Market quite a bit and would like to try it out.

Ta so much!  Kim

What's the brunch menu like at BDC? Mostly eggs or a selection from their menu? I'm at the Dupont Market quite a bit and would like to try it out.

They have their regular lunch menu plus a couple of breakfast-y things: omelettes, eggs Benedict and the like. It's not much compared to some of the other brunches around town, but I like it.

Sette Osteria also has a brunch; I like the Brunch Pizza, and if it's a cold day getting a seat near the pizza oven is nice.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Ta so much!  Kim

They have their regular lunch menu plus a couple of breakfast-y things: omelettes, eggs Benedict and the like. It's not much compared to some of the other brunches around town, but I like it.

Sette Osteria also has a brunch; I like the Brunch Pizza, and if it's a cold day getting a seat near the pizza oven is nice.

Thanks. Many times I want regular lunch items, not egg based dishes. Case in point-went to the Corcoran on Sat. and afterwards walked over to Tonic. They serve a brunch (mostly egg dishes) menu on Sat and Sun which majorly bummed me out because their lunch menu looked very good. This was quite odd to me.

Ms. Alex and I are fans of brunch at Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe, right on Dupont Circle. We had an outrageous amount of good food there on New Year's Day. Expect a wait, but things move along relatively quickly, plus you can browse the books while you wait.

You also might want to consider brunch at Jaleo, right at Crystal City.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I think that we might go with Vermillion. We are going to Beck for dinner on Saturday and with the market closing at 1pm, there won't be much to do in that area after brunch. If we eat in Old Town there is lots to do for a couple more hours.

Thanks, all! Kim

• 1 year later...

Back to Washington this coming weekend for the Paul McCartney concert. We're looking for somewhere (preferably in Old Town) for brunch. Vermillion was wonderful and I'd be perfectly happy going back there, but wondered if there was any place else that I should try?

• 1 month later...