• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brick-Shaped Goodies

Megan Blocker

Another suggestion...Texas Brownies almost rise like a cake so they'd look more like bricks than regular brownies.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

This is against all rules of human conduct.  Someone's mom needs to make them for you.

Well, I'm older than the rest of the whippersnappers involved (save for one board member in his 50's), so I almost count. :wink:

For those who are interested, BTW, the information on the festival is now up on Babel's website: clickety. Maybe that graphic will inspire us further!

I love the idea of the red blondies...I wonder if I could sell squares of red velvet cake? No reason you couldn't eat that with your hands, even with a little cream cheese (mortar) frosting...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I recently held a bakesale with my son. We made the oatmeal bars from Marthastewart.com and folks loved them. The peanut butter and jelly bars were a hit as well.

One thing: An older woman bought a cupcake. Tore it in half and flipped the iced side down forming a cupcake sandwich. It was brilliant. Could you not do that with red velvet? Essentially a torted cake with filling but not iced. It would both look like a brick and look like mortar. Plus it'd be easy to saran wrap.

How old must one be to refer to others as whippersnappers???

One thing:  An older woman bought a cupcake.  Tore it in half and flipped the iced side down forming a cupcake sandwich.  It was brilliant. 

I do that, too! And I sure hope I don't qualify as an "older woman", yet! Although I think I probably do... :sad:

Megan--I thought the brownies with caramel were perfect for your theme, too. The lemon apricot bars kind of looked the part, too, I thought, with the apricot jam being the glue that holds your bricks together.

I recently held a bakesale with my son.  We made the oatmeal bars from Marthastewart.com and folks loved them.  The peanut butter and jelly bars were a hit as well.

One thing:  An older woman bought a cupcake.  Tore it in half and flipped the iced side down forming a cupcake sandwich.  It was brilliant.  Could you not do that with red velvet?  Essentially a torted cake with filling but not iced.  It would both look like a brick and look like mortar.  Plus it'd be easy to saran wrap.

Brilliant!

How old must one be to refer to others as whippersnappers???

Older than they are? :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007