• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Markets in Upstate NY/Ontario

We had a nice selection on Rochester but was looking for any new spots within an hours drive. Spec Syracuse, Buffalo, Niagara area

Thanks in Advance

For those looking in the Rochester area

Asia Market at the Regional Market (largeest by far)

Asia Food Market on Jefferson Rd (just opened)

Win Fa on Lake Ave (excellent Thai/Vietnamese)

Korean Markets on Mt Hope and West Henrietta Rd

A couple others in the city

• 3 weeks later...

Ithaca

Win Li, they have the widest assortment of ingredients and the most fresh produce in the area

S B Korean Market, small but packed full of items great Korean, helpful staff, cheapest place in town to buy soup bones.

Binghampton

KIMS ORIENTAL GROCERY & GIFTS on Vestal Parkway, small, but only decent one, circa 2000, that I know of.

Buffalo

Ni Hoowa on Sheridan Dr. near O is worth a stop.

Sung's Oriental Grocery and Gift on Niagara Falls Blvd., haven't been there, but I think this is where my friend goes for Korean stuff.

The one on Niagara St. I can rec was Korean I believe near where it V's off/merges with Busti, they gave me a dollar once when I was short which ? on Korean, I still haven't gotten back to pay them, I gave them the acid test for Asian Markets, I asked them if their oranges were good, and their oranges were good. By the way this was very awkward, and I'm never doing it again, I am also highly skeptical this would work at all times of the year, though I'm sure Asian citrus would be good year round as they span the globe, there would be alot of false positives, and the chances for it to actually foretell anything is not worth the awkwardness by any stretch of the imagined benefit. I noticed two other markets listed on Niagara St. as well, A'Chau2 and Buffalo Asian Market, both of which I haven't been to.

A sad note was heard here, Nana's in Alfred, NY is reported to be closing, this is a little lunch place I have gone to many times whist traveling through, or when I had lots of motivation, money, and time, that serves a bento box lunch that is cheap (college kid friendly) and very tasty, as well as a lot of other great stuff including vegetable based miso soup that is really close to the real thing. Sadly, it was heard, Nana is going to be retiring sometime next year. This really is sad for us down here.

Believe it or not there is a Market in Alfred, not terribly well stocked, not particularly sure if it's 100% asian but it's there!

Edited by coquus (log)

• 4 weeks later...