• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Ninetofive - January in New England

ninetofive

Diana, it's been a great week!

oh and thanks to checking in here daily, combined with the fact that the movie Nine to Five was on tv here this week, I've now had Dolly Parton singing in my head for days (which is okay, since I actually, dare I say it, like Dolly Parton :wink:

Like others have mentioned, I'm impressed with the way you and your husband have dealt with the differences in taste!

Tamiam, thanks for your kind words!  Do you do any preserving/canning/freezing? One thing I'd like to start doing is some cold frame gardening so at least I can get some hearty greens over the winter. And I hear you about the local chain markets, although we do have good looking produce. It bugs me, however, when I think about the real cost of having strawberries in January. Unfortunately, my little guy has got to have his fruit.

The summer before last was my first effort at preserving. I am lucky to have some talented friends and teachers, and we made several jams and jellies and put up some spiced fruit. Fabulous, and so much better than store-bought, which I usually find to be way too sweet and not fruity enough.

Then a friend with an orchard gave me a huge box of nectarines. Had to act on them really quickly as they wanted to ripen and turn to mush, so I peeled, sliced, and froze them. This was less successful, as even after using a product designed to keep them nice (Fruitfresh?? something like that), they were mushy. Having that much fruit was very stressful because it made me feel so responsible.

Good luck with the winter gardening idea. I really enjoy hearty greens, although I admit to tiring of them when they constitute 90% of the CSA and farmer's market in May thru July around these parts. I am always surprised at the number of people who are unfamiliar with cooking greens, or who just dont like them.

Oh, and I hope Oliver regains his taste for Indian food sometime soon. Given how much your household revolves around flavor and culture, he probably will.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

Pop quiz: Why do visitors from TAXachusetts love shopping at the NH State liquor stores?

Two reasons:

--The prices are lower, and

--No sales tax.

New Hampshire is unique among the 50 states for having neither a state income tax nor a state sales tax, and NH politicians who suggest either commit career suicide.

The state monopoly on liquor sales is about the only thing the Keystone and Granite States share in common -- well, that and I-95 slicing across their southeast corner. But the New Hampshire Liquor Commission's operating philosophy stands in stark contrast to the other dozen or so states (and one Maryland county) where the government has a monopoly on the sale of packaged alcoholic beverages. Those liquor stores are one of the main reasons why NH can get away with no broad-based statewide tax.

I still question the wisdom of putting state liquor stores on the turnpikes where service plazas should be.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Oliver and I hit the road around 12:00 yesterday so that we could arrive in Concord, NH, around 1. Here, half a boule cut up into small pieces and a banana for Oliver's snack. When we were in the car, he said, "Mom, you're the best bread baker I've ever met." Awwww.

Pop quiz: Why do visitors from TAXachusetts love shopping at the NH State liquor stores?

gallery_28661_5601_68222.jpg

NH Liqour Stores Rock! Hee! My brother & I stopped at that very store on our way home for Christmas and loaded up on wine for our family's Christmas dinner celebration. A couple of my favorite wines were being sold for about $5 less than I see them locally in Delaware.

We pick up Linda and Eric and head to a local Indian restaurant they like. I'm sorry, but again, I was so hungry, Linda had to remind me to take pictures:

gallery_28661_5601_5041.jpg

Pooris and garlic naan.

gallery_28661_5601_36641.jpg

This was a shrimp korma. Oliver picked at his poori. He used to love Indian food, but in the past year won't touch it.

Where is this restaurant located in Concord? I knew of a place on the East side about a dozen years ago, but my Mom thought it had closed the last time she was in the area. I wonder if it is the same one. Those pooris and naan look fantastic!

About the cookbooks: do please tell about The Passionate Vegetarian. Anybody named Cresent who poses on the spine of her book as Carmen Miranda has got something going on.

Thanks for your kind words, Ellen. They mean a lot to me.

Ah yes, Crescent Dragonwagon (the last name kills me). My parents gave me another of her books, The Dairy Hollow Bread and Soup Cookbook many, many years ago. That book isn't vegetarian, though. But I liked it and when I'd heard good things about her vegetarian book, I ran to the store for it. I cook from this a lot, but I probably read it for the fun of it more. This may be the book where she writes so eloquently about her partner's death -- it breaks my heart every time. The headnotes for the recipes are written in such a way that you Must. Right. Now. Run to the kitchen and cook.

she should come by her writing abilities honestly - her mom's the children's author Charlotte Zolotow.

and quite an impressive collection of books you do have, my dear.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Wah! That's too funny. About a year after we'd been married, my husband said, "Why do we have so much GARLIC in everything?!" I'd never noticed. Growing up with an Italian-American mom, garlic was absolutely normal. 

So now we compromise: it goes in everything but vinaigrettes. :wink:

(And I did cure my husband of putting ketchup on pasta, which I consider tremendous progress.) :blink:

Those are some terribly cute baking pictures, with your son!

How many of your cookbooks do you use regularly?

I can see one of eGer Dan Lepard's books.

Thanks for blogging; it's been fun to follow your week.

Ewwww, catsup on pasta!

Yes, you got Dan Lepard right (I haven't had time to bake from it, but hope to remedy this soon). Also in my collection are Monica Bhide's Indian cookbooks, Russ Parsons' How to Pick a Peach, and the Cooking of Southwest France by Paula Wolfert, although I think that last one was buried so it couldn't be seen.

I use my cookbooks more for reference than anything else, to get ideas, and kind of jump off from there. Hubby simply can't comprehend why I need so many cookbooks ... "You don't even cook from them!" Which isn't completely true, sometimes I do, but they mostly inspire me.

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

Since I had soup for breakfast, I thought it was fitting to have breakfast for dinner. Latkes are one of my favorite Sunday night dinners:

gallery_28661_5601_82107.jpg

Everything came from the pantry for tonight's meal. I shred the potatoes with my KitchenAid shredding attachment, squeezed the liquid out, then added salt, pepper, grated onion, flour, and a little matzo meal before frying the pancakes butter (I know, I know, I should be frying in schmaltz!) And instead of sour cream, I like creme fraiche. It's a very high calorie meal, but on a cold night such as this, it was perfect.

And for dessert:

gallery_28661_5601_7901.jpg

A chocolate tart based on a recipe in Roast Chicken and Other Stories. I took liberties with mine by adding a touch of almond extract to the chocolate and pouring it over a layer of raspberry jam. Tonight we will eat small slices of this with a bit of fresh whipped cream while watching the finale of The Amazing Race.

I am sad the week is ending for me, but excited to read the next eGullet blog and be transported to another world. Thank you everyone for sticking around this week and being so kind, saying nice things about my food, style of eating, and most of all, my little boy. I would love to come back and blog during our gorgeous New England summer.

Ciao!

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

Where is this restaurant located in Concord?  I knew of a place on the East side about a dozen years ago, but my Mom thought it had closed the last time she was in the area.  I wonder if it is the same one.  Those pooris and naan look fantastic!

Liz, I don't know Concord well, but it was on a street right off the main thoroughfare (between South State Street and the main street?) I think it may be called House of India ....

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

Oh I'm sad to see you end your blog! I hope that you might continue posting pictures in the what's for dinner, lunch, breakfast section down below.

It was a joy to read and I wish you all the best on your upcoming race.

Thanks for blogging this week. I enjoyed your blog very much.

Thanks also for writing about the artisan bread in 5 minutes. I started a topic on it last week after I made a few loaves. I'm pretty happy with the basic recipe so I can't wait to see what the book has to offer( its backordered)

Also glad to see another Crescent Fan. I bought her soup book when it first came out( 92) and was litterally shocked when I heard about her husband's untimely death. So sad. Her veg book is on my list.

Oh and I have a furry child named Oliver : )

After our blogging week, it was very nice to sit back and read someone else's

Thanks again!!

CaliPoutine, I meant to reply to two things:

1. I do not discriminate with diet soda drinkers either :raz:

and 2. I do SparkPeople, too. (I recall your mentioning that on your blog.)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

I love to post early on a blog, so I can get e-mail updates and find the topic when I look for it. But sometimes--like with your blog--there just ain't nuthin to do but enjoy! I hope you'll blog again sometime.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Thanks for this glimpse into your week. That thing of eating differently from your spouse is such a huge hurdle, and it's always interesting to see how other people surmount it.

And I can't help it, since you use it a lot - look into your Passionate Vegetarian for the Abracadabra Pilaf. That's my recipe, or her tweak on it. Me, I use basmati. She really didn't need to credit me, since I'd totally forgotten I'd ever invented the dish, but I was really happy to see it again and discovered that I still like it.

Diana, will you give a plug for your freelancing book? I'd love to have a look at it.

Edited by Abra (log)

Diana, thanks for your wonderful winter in New England blog. I really enjoyed the winter scenes, brings back so many good memories. Sorry you didn't get to go to KA! I loved the photos of Oliver! Hope to see you doing a summer blog.....

Oh I'm sad to see you end your blog!  I hope that you might continue posting pictures in the what's for dinner, lunch, breakfast section down below. 

Thanks, Shelby, I will! I'm going to be more participatory from now on. Although I do have to admit it was nice to wake up this a.m., make oatmeal, and not worry, "Where the *&^% is the camera?"

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

I love to post early on a blog, so I can get e-mail updates and find the topic when I look for it.  But sometimes--like with your blog--there just ain't nuthin to do but enjoy!  I hope you'll blog again sometime.

Thanks Ruth! (I was hoping you'd notice my boxed Elsie Masterton cookbooks ... I seem to recall you're a Blueberry Hill fan???)

Would love to come back in the summer ....

di

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

Oh I'm sad to see you end your blog!  I hope that you might continue posting pictures in the what's for dinner, lunch, breakfast section down below. 

Thanks, Shelby, I will! I'm going to be more participatory from now on. Although I do have to admit it was nice to wake up this a.m., make oatmeal, and not worry, "Where the *&^% is the camera?"

:laugh: My camera has remnants of several meals....I need to clean it!

Thanks for this glimpse into your week.  That thing of eating differently from your spouse is such a huge hurdle, and it's always interesting to see how other epople surmount it.

And I can't help it, since you use it a lot - look into your Passionate Vegetarian for the Abracadabra Pilaf.  That's my recipe, or her tweak on it.  Me, I use basmati.  She really didn't need to credit me, since I'd totally forgotten I'd ever invented the dish, but I was really happy to see it again and discovered that I still like it.

Diana, will you give a plug for your freelancing book?  I'd love to have a look at it.

Abra, that is soooo cool. (I just looked it up -- CD calls it "Two-Grain Abracadabra Pilaf.") Oh, that looks delicious -- I'm a sucker for pistachios and apricots with grains. And since everything is in my pantry ....

A plug, eh? Well, if anyone here is at all interested in freelance writing, check out The Renegade Writer and The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock. The first book is a good start if you're relatively new to freelancing; the second one is geared more toward experienced freelancers. I like the 2nd book more, myself, because I'm nosy and like to see how other freelancers pitch stories to editors. My co-author and I blog regularly about writing-related subjects -- link below.

OK, I hope that sales pitch wasn't too offensive. :shock:

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

Your blog has been a wonderful read. Oliver rocks! :cool:

Regarding your husband's dislike of garlic and onions and wanting just plain rice, it makes me wonder if he could he be a supertaster.

Thanks again for taking the time to blog.

And if you ever do visit King Arthur, please post the details of your visit here on eGullet (with pics, hopefully).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You could find out for certain if he's a supertaster -- go to Supertaster Test and you can get a couple of test strips for just a few bucks. (I first read about this on the Amateur Gourmet's blog).

I had long suspected that my husband and oldest son were supertasters and...they are!

It helps me to know that their pickiness isn't a character flaw; it's genetic.

Regarding your husband's dislike of garlic and onions and wanting just plain rice, it makes me wonder if he could he be a supertaster.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.

Thanks for inviting us into your lives, sharing your kitchen and family, and giving us a wonderful snapshot of New England in winter. Best of luck with your writing endeavors, and I look forward to your cookbook. Please do keep us up to date on Oliver’s progress as it relates to food.

Nicely done! I suppose that King Arthur Flour will be open in summer, too. :rolleyes:

Great blog, Diana.  I love Oliver's signs.

If it's not too late:  How often to do you have to replenish your family's sandwich bread?  And how did you come to the cold-oven start?

Mostly it's Oliver who goes through the bread. I probably bake about three loaves a week.

I think I picked up the cold oven start from one of James Beard's bread recipes, although I'm not sure. It also could be from Elizabeth David's bread book. Obviously it doesn't work with the baking stone, which requires preheating, but with sandwich loaves in tins, it's great.

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog