• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Landau

I did a search on the word Landau and it came up blank so I assume I'm one of the first to visit? There aren't many reviews kicking around yet as I think it's new (or newly-refurbished), but it has a very slick operation going already. Had the tasting menu for Sunday lunch and was mainly excellent, albeit quite "familiar" to those who have been to haute cuisine places in London. Clearly the chef is gunning for stars from the word go.

Anyway it comes highly recommended.

Main review and pics here

Edited by chrisp (log)

Andrew Turner was for a long time one of the most underrated haute cuisine chefs in London (along with, probably, that Jun Tanaka chap at Pearl). Enjoyed both his previous gaffs (Browns and the Bentley). Foie gras terrine with gingerbread was an absolute humdinger of a dish.

Good to see him back, although I note that the prices of his grazing menus have now been marked to market (starting at about forty squids for the cheapest one, they used to be one of the biggest bargains in town).

I should imagine he will do very well

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Andrew Turner was for a long time one of the most underrated haute cuisine chefs in London (along with, probably, that Jun Tanaka chap at Pearl). Enjoyed both his previous gaffs (Browns and the Bentley). Foie gras terrine with gingerbread was an absolute humdinger of a dish.

Good to see him back, although I note that the prices of his grazing menus have now been marked to market (starting at about forty squids for the cheapest one, they used to be one of the biggest bargains in town).

I should imagine he will do very well

J

Yes, cheap it was not. But I've long since resigned myself to the fact there are no genuine bargains to be had in this city any more. Oh, except Tayyabs perhaps :D

• 1 year later...

Has anyone eaten here recently? It has been recommended to me - we are down in London for a week in June and are planning some restaurant visits, although the only one booked to date is lunch at Le Gavroche.

had lunch there a few months ago - pretty good.

I would imagine dinner would be more exciting, as I agree with the above that he's a fine "classical" chef but - Browns apart - seems to be unlucky in the surrondings in which he operates.

had lunch there a few months ago - pretty good.

I would imagine dinner would be more exciting, as I agree with the above that he's a fine "classical" chef but - Browns apart - seems to be unlucky in the surrondings in which he operates.

Andrew Turner is highly rated by his peers.

He was tipped for Michelin stardom!

Was the restaurant not featured on Masterchef, with the contestants cooking for Michel Roux Jnr et al ?

Interesting comment about surroundings,

Michael Wignall replaced him at The Latymer, Pennyhill Park, and gained a Michelin star and four AA rosettes.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1