• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Baked Beans Questions

Shel_B

Hi gang,

After this last round of buying canned baked beans, I've decided to make my own. Having read numerous treatises on how to cook beans, and having done so a couple of times with garbanzos, I think I've got the general cooking process down pretty well. However, it would be great to get some flavoring ideas, and cooking techniques specific to making vegetarian baked beans, especially for making a nice, thick, flavorful sauce.

I'd also like to eliminate, or reduce as much as possible, the amount of sugar in the final dish. Which beans may best lend themselves to such a dish? Any thoughts or proven techniques for making some nice, rich, flavorful vegetarian baked beans?

shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

the recipe above is perfect the only thing I would do that is differant would be to add

1/2 can tomato paste

1 chipotle pepper

I would also use small white beans

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

You mean other than the standard tomato sauce?

I didn't realize there was a "standard" tomato sauce. What comprises such a sauce? Thanks!

shel

Any passata type sauce or even tomato ketchup.

From the bean tin:

Beans 51%

Tomato 33%

Water

Sugar

Modified cornflour (thickener)

Spirit vineagar

Spice, herb extract

I would do something like

500g beans

300g sieved tomato (passata or ketchup)

1 tsp dry mustard

2 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

2 onions, chopped

Soak beans overnight

Next day parboil with tsp baking soda; drain and run cold water through

Put in a pot with the other ingredients and enough water to just cover

Cover. Put a in a 300 degree oven for 6 hours or so

Check every hour or so to see if they need more water.

Correct the seasoning - if you have not used ketchup may need a splash of vinegar. and you may want some sugar depending on how sweet the tomatos were.

If you want a thicker sauce mix 2tsp of cornflour with the other ingredients before cooking.

• 6 years later...

While gathering my ingredients to make a batch of baked beans, I could only find Ranch Gordo Tarbais beans in the larder.  Will they work pretty well or would I be better off with a more traditional bean?  It would be nice if I could save a trip to the market ...

... Shel

the recipe above is perfect the only thing I would do that is differant would be to add

1/2 can tomato paste

1 chipotle pepper

I would also use small white beans

Also, since you won't be using salt pork or smoky bacon you might consider adding a few drops of liquid smoke. Just a thought. smile.gif

Another alternative for that smoky flavor would be a bit of smoked paprika.  Sweet or hot, as you prefer.  It's potent, so don't overdo it, but I love the flavor it gives to beans.