• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranate molasses

Blamo

My local grocer carries pomegranates and pomegranate juice, but it does not offer pomegranate molasses, which is what I would like to play around with. There are ample recipes for reducing pomegranate juice into molasses, but I would like to first experience a prepared molasses for a reference, kinda like eating Heinz Ketchup before making your own. Can anyone suggest a brand/type/specialty shop to order true pomegranate molasses from?

Edited by Blamo (log)

My local grocer carries pomegrantates and pomegranate juice, but it does not offer pomegrante molasses, which is what I would like to play around with.  There are ample recipes for reducing pomegranate juice into molasses, but I would like to first experience a prepared molasses for a reference, kinda like eating Heinz Ketchup before making your own.  Can anyone suggest a brand/type/specialty shop to order true pomegranate molasses from?

A couple of good Lebanese brands I use are Cortas and Al-Wadi. You should be able to find them at any Middle Eastern grocery store and some gourmet shops.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Much much cheaper is Trader Joe's Pomegranate Glaze. From everything I can tell, it is pomegranate molasses, except it's only like $2 a bottle, maybe $3. Middle Eastern stores around the D.C. area sell their product for a lot more.

My local grocer carries pomegranates and pomegranate juice, but it does not offer pomegranate molasses, which is what I would like to play around with.  There are ample recipes for reducing pomegranate juice into molasses, but I would like to first experience a prepared molasses for a reference, kinda like eating Heinz Ketchup before making your own.  Can anyone suggest a brand/type/specialty shop to order true pomegranate molasses from?

According to my mother, pomegranate molasses is made with the sour or tart variety. The end result is sweet as well as sour.

If you use sweet pomegranates, you'll end up with a syrup which, when reconstituted with water, is a delicious drink.

The procedure is the same for both:

The juice is extracted from the kernels using a food mill, run the juice through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. Reduce in a stainless pan to desired consistency.