• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing salt packed anchovies

snowangel

I love them, and always have them on hand. What I've done in the past is just open the can and dump the contents into a Tupperware-type container. Should I be doing something different?

ETA: Since a can often lasts me a year, should I be doing some "maintenance" on the Tupperware-type container in the meantime?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I use a wide-mouthed glass jar so that the container isn't ruined for other future use, lay down a layer of kosher salt, put the anchovies into the jar (less any liquid), and keep 'em covered with as much salt as needed.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Don't some Italian markets in you area sell salt packed anchovies by the pound? A salumeria here in town always has an open can behind the counter, so you can buy as few or as many as you like. Over a period of a year though, I know I am paying about ten times what you do.

These are the kind I usually buy:

http://www.pennmac.com/items/2628

But if you do buy the kilo tins, cover them with salt in an airtight container, and they should last nearly forever.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

For the first half of my life I despised anchovies, to me they were the salty brown spots on a bad pizza. Then I had the kind in a glass jar from Italy, the little fish stored vertically in oil. Night and day. So now I must know what these salt-packed anchovies are like - I see the Agostino can - are they better/worse/same?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I think the best anchovies come whole, and you need to cut the backbones out before you use them. I still think the dried salted ones are the best, they are very subtle and make a great "secret ingredient". They also need to be soaked in water or milk for a while before you use them. I've never had anchovies packed in oil that I really liked, so I stick with the whole ones packed in salt and brine. There's a huge difference, at least in my limited experience. :)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I've also just kept them in their can by keeping it well covered with plastic wrap and a rubber band - they lasted at least a year, but Chris's method of moving them to a jar certainly sounds perfect.

Whatever method is employed, as long as they remain covered by the sale, they should be fine.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?