• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" Zoe Francois (2008–2009)

CaliPoutine

. . .

Anna, this bread looks wonderful! The crust and crumb are gorgeous, how did it taste? How long did you let it rest before baking? What are the measurements you have settled on with the bread flour? Do you know what the protein content is?

Sorry, for all the questions but I'm so curious how you got to this point.

Thanks! Zoe

Thanks, Zoe. It tasted great but I might lower the salt just a tad to please others!

The recipe is:

3 1/2 cups water at 100F (temperature measured!)

1 1/2 T Fleischmann's Traditional Active Dry yeast

2 T Diamond Crystal Salt

2 lbs Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour (sorry no idea of protein content)

I put the yeast into the water in a very large bowl and let it sit for about 5 mins before adding the flour. I add the salt last (old habits die hard). When it is thoroughly mixed I move it to a container that will fit in my 'fridge and leave it covered for 2- 3 hours. Then it goes into the 'fridge. I think this dough is about 3 days old.

This time I shaped the bread and let it rest for 40 mins at 78F (Ouch - didn't realize I had the room thermostat so high!). Then I turned the oven on and set the timer for 20 mins. So, the bread rested for a full 60 mins. I baked it at 450 for 30 minutes. I tossed in a cup of very hot water into a pan on the lower rack of the oven. I shape and rest the bread on parchment and put it on the baking stone with the parchment then slide the parchment out after 20 mins.

Happy to answer any questions I can.

Edited to add:

I just got off the phone with Robin Hood and they told me that their A/P flour is 12% protein and their Best for Bread Homestyle White is 13%.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks, Zoe.  It tasted great but I might lower the salt just a tad to please others!

The recipe is:

3 1/2 cups water at 100F (temperature measured!)

1 1/2 T Fleischmann's Traditional Active Dry yeast

2 T Diamond Crystal Salt

2 lbs Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour (sorry no idea of protein content)

I put the yeast into the water in a very large bowl and let it sit for about 5 mins before adding the flour.  I add the salt last (old habits die hard).  When it is thoroughly mixed I move it to a container that will fit in my 'fridge and leave it covered for 2- 3 hours.  Then it goes into the 'fridge.  I think this dough is about 3 days old.

This time I shaped the bread and let it rest for 40 mins at 78F (Ouch - didn't realize I had the room thermostat so high!).  Then I turned the oven on and set the timer for 20 mins.  So, the bread rested for a full 60 mins.  I baked it at 450 for 30 minutes.  I tossed in a cup of very hot water into a pan on the lower rack of the oven.  I shape and rest the bread on parchment and put it on the baking stone with the parchment then slide the parchment out after 20 mins.

Happy to answer any questions I can.

Edited to add:

I just got off the phone with Robin Hood and they told me that their A/P flour is 12% protein and their Best for Bread Homestyle White is 13%.

Hi Anna,

This is great to know! I think the Robin Hood Best for Bread is one of the higher protein counts I've seen people try and it looks great. I've never seen it around here but I'm going to go on a hunt for it!

Wow your kitchen is warm. It was -35 degrees F here in MN yesterday and I thought I was being luxurious turning the heat to 70! I'm really going to crank it today!

Yes, the salt yeast habit is hard to break, but we really haven't ever seen it make a difference???

Thanks again! Zoe

I am have never been succesfull baking bread, but I have now baked 2 loaves from my first batch of the basic dough ( I subed 2 cups of whole wheat) and the bread came out really well. Next I have to buy the book. Thanks Zoe for a great concept.

PS I should add I always really hated kneading.

I am have never been succesfull baking bread, but I have now baked 2 loaves from my first batch of the basic dough ( I subed 2 cups of whole wheat) and the bread came out really well. Next I have to buy the book. Thanks Zoe for a great concept.

PS I should add I always really hated kneading.

Fantastic! We wrote the book for people like you, so I'm so happy to hear you are baking bread! It is great fun isn't it? Thanks for the great feedback and I hope you enjoy all the other recipes in the book!

Zoe

Real Jewish rye bread uses clear flour for the non-rye component (see Secrets of a Jewish Baker). For those that don't know, clear flour is what remains after the first extraction and still has a lot of the dark outer parts of the grain and has a high protein level. This is what makes the loaf firm.

I have some on hand and have been thinking about trying this method using it. Rye bread has been my culinary Mt. Everest and I haven't attempted it yet. One of the best Jewish rye bakeries in the world is down the street from me and I'm afraid that I not going to be able to meet my own expectations. From the pictures that I've seen posted though, I think that I may be able to come close.

Zoe, do you have any thoughts on using clear for the AP in the recipe.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Yes, the clear flour would work beautifully in the recipe. I haven't tried it in this particular rye dough (we tried to avoid special ingredients for the book), so I can't give you the %, but it should work. If you use it will you let me know what you think. I'll get some and try it as well.

It would also be good to use in the whole wheat breads.

Thanks! Zoe

I made the dough tonight using clear flour for all of the AP. I hope to bake on Sunday, I'll be back then to let you know how they turned out.

Marc

Hi Anna,

This is great to know! I think the Robin Hood Best for Bread is one of the higher protein counts I've seen people try and it looks great. I've never seen it around here but I'm going to go on a hunt for it!

I believe Robin Hood is a Canadian brand, but I did see it at the Super Wal*Mart in Port Huron, MI( border town).

Real Jewish rye bread uses clear flour for the non-rye component (see Secrets of a Jewish Baker). For those that don't know, clear flour is what remains after the first extraction and still has a lot of the dark outer parts of the grain and has a high protein level. This is what makes the loaf firm.

I have some on hand and have been thinking about trying this method using it. Rye bread has been my culinary Mt. Everest and I haven't attempted it yet. One of the best Jewish rye bakeries in the world is down the street from me and I'm afraid that I not going to be able to meet my own expectations. From the pictures that I've seen posted though, I think that I may be able to come close.

Zoe, do you have any thoughts on using clear for the AP in the recipe.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Yes, the clear flour would work beautifully in the recipe. I haven't tried it in this particular rye dough (we tried to avoid special ingredients for the book), so I can't give you the %, but it should work. If you use it will you let me know what you think. I'll get some and try it as well.

It would also be good to use in the whole wheat breads.

Thanks! Zoe

I made the dough tonight using clear flour for all of the AP. I hope to bake on Sunday, I'll be back then to let you know how they turned out.

Marc

Please do! I can't wait to hear about the bread and hopefully you will take some pictures?

Thanks, Zoe

Hi Anna,

I believe Robin Hood is a Canadian brand, but I did see it at the Super Wal*Mart in Port Huron, MI( border town).

Hi, I think you are right. Someone in Vermont said they could find it. I figure we should have it here in MN but I'm not sure yet?

I'm sure someone will ship it to me for a small fortune!

Zoe

Hi, I think you are right. Someone in Vermont said they could find it. I figure we should have it here in MN but I'm not sure yet?

Zoe

I visit Minneapolis every summer when I go home to Winnipeg, so if you can wait that long, I'll be happy to bring some down for you! It probably won't be until August (assuming I go to Chicago for the big eGullet culinary extravaganza), though.

I just HAVE to share this serendipitous discovery.

After a couple of days of AKC (Acute Kitchen Carelessness) I found myself with bandaids on 3 fingers and consequently forced to wear gloves for any food prep. This morning I wanted to bake another basic loaf and so grabbed some dough with my gloved hands! The dough does not stick to them! The loaf was easy to shape quickly and with little deflation! Mine happen to be vinyl gloves so I am not sure how this will work with other gloves but I am very excited.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Zoe

I visit Minneapolis every summer when I go home to Winnipeg, so if you can wait that long, I'll be happy to bring some down for you! It probably won't be until August (assuming I go to Chicago for the big eGullet culinary extravaganza), though.

Hey thanks! I'll let you know if I'm still in need by August. Zoe

After a couple of days of AKC (Acute Kitchen Carelessness) I found myself with bandaids on 3 fingers and consequently forced to wear gloves for any food prep.  This morning I wanted to bake another basic loaf and so grabbed some dough with my gloved hands!  The dough does not stick to them!  The loaf was easy to shape quickly and with little deflation!  Mine happen to be vinyl gloves so I am not sure how this will work with other gloves but I am very excited.

Well, well that is pretty handy! I've got my food safety gloves that I never wear at home. I guess I'll try them out.

Sorry about the cuts!

Zoe

Is there any advantage of using bread flour instead of AP flour?

Hi. The crumb of your bread is going to be different because of the high protein content. It has more elasticity and so you can get better hole structure.

Try it in comparison and see which you prefer. When you bake with Bread flour make sure you increase the water to keep your dough slack!

Let me know what you think!

Zoe

Hi. The crumb of your bread is going to be different because of the high protein content. It has more elasticity and so you can get better hole structure.

Try it in comparison and see which you prefer. When you bake with Bread flour make sure you increase the water to keep your dough slack!

Zoe

Thanks Zoe! So I would get similar results with the King Arthur Flour also?

Zoe

Thanks Zoe! So I would get similar results with the King Arthur Flour also?

Hi. King Arthur all-purpose is 11.7% protein, which is closer to most bread flours than AP. So yes, it will behave more like bread flour and you should add a bit more water to the dough.

Zoe

Here is a recipe for making ricotta, from Nick Malgieri:

3 quarts whole milk

3 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Combine milk and vinegar in a saucepan, and place over low heat. Heat until the mixture reaches 175 degrees. Regulate heat carefully, so as not to exceed this temperature.

While the milk is heating, rinse a cheesecloth or cloth napkin and line a strainer with it. Place over a bowl.

When the ricotta curds become visible on the surface of the milk, remove them with a slotted spoon and transfer to the lined strainer. Allow to drain. (A firmer/drier ricotta can be achieved by allowing the curds to remain at 175 degrees about 5 minutes before draining.) 

To make ricotta smooth before using, pulse in a food processor. Makes 1 lb.

Hope this helps!

That reads very much like a recipe for paneer. It seems fresh cheese is fresh cheese, the world around.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Three, the hydration level of our dough, although we avoid terms like that in the book, is about 75% if you are using average unbleached all-purpose flour. If you switch to KA all-purpose the protein level is much higher and you will want to increase the hydration to 81%. This means you will be adding about 1/4 more water to the dough. It should be wet and sticky, unlike traditional doughs. If it is too dry the crumb will be dense and it won't store for as long.

How are you calculating hydration percent?

I thought that 1 : 1 liquid to flour = 100% hydration in 'bread language'.

In which case, the NYTimes article is written to ~ < 50% hydration,

not 75% (3 c water, 6.5 c flour). So, I'm thinking I dont understand how to calculate it after all.

Edumacate me, please?

I baked a second loaf from the first batch of dough, after 48 hours. Definite mild tang and more flavor. I still misread and slashed too soon, so didnt get full rise, but we had no problem eating the entire loaf regardless!

I just started a new 2/3 sized batch, and stirred it into the last 1/3 of the first batch. I plan to let it rest for ~4 hours, then shape a loaf for our dinner tonight. I have high hopes. It looked dry enough at 3 c flour (to 2 c water) so I stopped there. This is fun stuff to play with.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

After a couple of days of AKC (Acute Kitchen Carelessness) I found myself with bandaids on 3 fingers and consequently forced to wear gloves for any food prep.  This morning I wanted to bake another basic loaf and so grabbed some dough with my gloved hands!  The dough does not stick to them!  The loaf was easy to shape quickly and with little deflation!  Mine happen to be vinyl gloves so I am not sure how this will work with other gloves but I am very excited.

Thank you for sharing!!!!!! Nothing! sticks to stuff like bread dough!

Now, where did that kitchen trucs topic go? This info deserves to be shared far and wide.

Three, the hydration level of our dough, although we avoid terms like that in the book, is about 75% if you are using average unbleached all-purpose flour. If you switch to KA all-purpose the protein level is much higher and you will want to increase the hydration to 81%. This means you will be adding about 1/4 more water to the dough. It should be wet and sticky, unlike traditional doughs. If it is too dry the crumb will be dense and it won't store for as long.

How are you calculating hydration percent?

I thought that 1 : 1 liquid to flour = 100% hydration in 'bread language'.

In which case, the NYTimes article is written to ~ < 50% hydration,

not 75% (3 c water, 6.5 c flour). So, I'm thinking I dont understand how to calculate it after all.

Edumacate me, please?

I baked a second loaf from the first batch of dough, after 48 hours. Definite mild tang and more flavor. I still misread and slashed too soon, so didnt get full rise, but we had no problem eating the entire loaf regardless!

I just started a new 2/3 sized batch, and stirred it into the last 1/3 of the first batch. I plan to let it rest for ~4 hours, then shape a loaf for our dinner tonight. I have high hopes. It looked dry enough at 3 c flour (to 2 c water) so I stopped there. This is fun stuff to play with.

I admit that I really don't understand hydration levels but I don't think you can calculate them using volume measurements of flour - I think you need to go weights all the way. But wait for the experts to chime in!

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you for sharing!!!!!! Nothing! sticks to stuff like bread dough!

Now, where did that kitchen trucs topic go? This info deserves to be shared far and wide.

Let's wait for others to try this and make sure it works under all circumstances and with all gloves! I am happy but then I have cheap vinyl gloves that are not really designed for food handling!

My 2004 eG Blog

I admit that I really don't understand hydration levels but I don't think you can calculate them using volume measurements of flour - I think you need to go weights all the way.  But wait for the experts to chime in!

Weights.... yes, that starts to make sense. :the light dawns:

Water weighs 1 gm per mL, and one cup is ~ 245 mL

Flour weighs considerably less per vol.

Ok, it makes sense to me if hydration is w/w and not v/v.

Thank you!

Perhaps I "need" that slick shiny scale for Valentines day. :wink:

I admit that I really don't understand hydration levels but I don't think you can calculate them using volume measurements of flour - I think you need to go weights all the way.  But wait for the experts to chime in!

Weights.... yes, that starts to make sense. :the light dawns:

Water weighs 1 gm per mL, and one cup is ~ 245 mL

Flour weighs considerably less per vol.

Ok, it makes sense to me if hydration is w/w and not v/v.

Thank you!

Perhaps I "need" that slick shiny scale for Valentines day. :wink:

Hi. Yes, we wrote the book using volume measures because most home bakers still don't scale their recipes. But, it soon became clear that many experienced bakers only use a scale so we came up with the weights. When we talk about hydration levels it is only in relation to the weighed flour.

Yes, a shiny new scale sounds like a great present. Mine is ancient history!!!

Thanks, Zoë

Hi,

Sorry if this is an elementary question, but using the original recipe, how much should I portion out if I want to bake a loaf in a standard bread pan? The video shows about a third of the dough being portioned to bake a small round roll. I don't know how this translates into a bread pan.

Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry if this is an elementary question, but using the original recipe, how much should I portion out if I want to bake a loaf in a standard bread pan? The video shows about a third of the dough being portioned to bake a small round roll. I don't know how this translates into a bread pan.

Thanks.

Hi, It will somewhat depend on the size of your loaf pan. In the book we say to fill the pan about 1/2 way full. BUT, I tend to like a more bodacious loaf so I fill mine more like 3/4 full. I let it rise nearly an 1 1/2 hours because my pan is rather big.

I happen to have a pan filled at the moment that I've got rising in the refrigerator and will bake off in the morning. I've come to do a refrigerated rise (thanks to Marc!) with everything. It just produces a great crumb and it seems to fit my schedule better! The loaf I have going now is 12 days old and nearly two pounds of dough so I'll let you know how it comes out in the morning!

Thanks, Zoe