• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bride Cake---

racheld

A friend just sent me this---if it's been posted already, somebody hit "delete."

Wonder if there's a biggg Barbie pick in there.

http://food.aol.com/play-with-your-food/news-photos

Wow. That's a darn impressive cake ... though I can't quite make up my mind how I feel about the symbolism of eating an effigy of the bride. Oh, and incidentally, I think the bride's dress (both real-life and likeness) is pretty spectacular too--I don't think I've ever seen a bridal gown like that, with that brightly-colored inset.

I'd seen this already. My first thought was: "so they're saving the HEAD in the freezer for their first anniversary??" :blink:

Kinda creepy. Props to the bakers though. It's an awesome likeness. I think my problem is more with the bride for ordering this cake than for the talented crew that made her (bizarre) wish come true.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A friend sent that photo to me; I remember the text saying that the bride had a model-maker create a "mask" for the face and the baker built around it.

And what do you think the kitchen staff was thinking as they cut it!!!.....

I'd seen this already.  My first thought was:  "so they're saving the HEAD in the freezer for their first anniversary??"  :blink:

Eew Eew Eew.

While it's superb workmanship it is nonetheless every bit of odd. I think a nice oil portrait would have been more appropriate or even a non-edible sculpture. It's chilling I'm sure to eat the bride at the reception, watch her get decapitated. As well as having her stare out at you every time you open the freezer like Katie said.

I can not get beyond the "head" in the freezer either..it would scare the Hell out of me to see people taking plates of me away and eating them!!! YIKES ..too many 60's horror flicks growing up for me to find any beauty in that!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Waitaminute!! You guys mean that top half is not just a hollow cast coated with frosting? I really think it is. Or at least I really, really hope so. Then it can't be decapitated/amputated without removing the bride's frosting likeness first, or it's just thrown out whole.

Realistic people as food = always creepy!

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I just flashed on a music video for an old Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers tune--I think it was titled "Don't Come Around Here No More" -- the video was a trippy Alice in Wonderland scene, with Tom in big Mad Hatter hat presiding over a mad tea party in which a live Alice, her body turned into cake, was being served and devoured. Made a darn good trippy rock video. Not the fodder for your typical wedding banquet, though. :laugh:

It's a little easier to swallow (<gulp> pun intended :) knowing that for one thing the idea originated in a foreign country, Nigeria. Well her idea for it to happen here. I mean my father-in-law did work in Nigeria and I was always flat amazed at the incredible differences in the cultures. And secondly that she does get a sculpture out of it. I like the idea of it not being dismantled but that it is the topper that can be kept forever. The life-sizedness is a little daunting to me, but the explanation really helped.

Oh and the pictures of the reception, they looked over posed I think that's why the bride & groom look so wide eyed and startled a bit. It's like the photos were snapped right when they were too tired to hold the original pose any longer. I recognize it because that's when the majority of photos of me get snapped.

I do not know why there's orange rick rack down the side of the cake trimming the veil. The orange rick rack is not working for me. I'm sure there's a good reason though.

But again I'm glad she got what she wanted. So did he get a life size topper too? Or may be just his sculpture?

It's a little easier to swallow (<gulp> pun intended :) knowing that for one thing the idea originated in a foreign country, Nigeria. Well her idea for it to happen here. I mean my father-in-law did work in Nigeria and I was always flat amazed at the incredible differences in the cultures.

So they're not residents of the US, they just got married there?

I watched the video of the story, and I could tell they were from somewhere in Africa, though I didn't hear anything about their background.

She did say that her dream as a child was to have a doll in her image, so she figured a wedding cake would be just as good. :wacko:

And apparently her daughter was a bit weirded out by it. "Mommy, why are they going to cut you?"

I hope she doesn't have therapy bills for her daughter in her future!

The head is acutally not cake, its a custom made bust. The artist is on Etsy.com and it cost like 1800 bucks or more just for the head part...I cant imagine how much the rest of the cake cost when you usually pay by the slice....

Its a pretty creepy cake lol

Alicia