• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Handpresso

maher

Quite few innovative devices but expensive have been released.

For me nothing beats seating around with friends at the usual cafe for a round table chat. That is what I used to do years ago in Buenos Aires and now in this country too.

I really like the Aeropress. It's lightweight and easy to clean. Also, the parts are of "regular" shape and quite compact, so easy to store. It uses a paper filter disk, which can be wrapped in film or foil, tucked into any small space. Oh, and the device is quite inexpensive, less than 40 $CDN

With portable coffee of any sort outdoors, the key seems to be the water temp. (notice the hot water flask in the handpresso video ad)

So, pre-heat your thermo-flask before adding the hot water for your hike. :)

Karen Dar Woon

Looking at the pictures of the portafilter it looks like it might use a pressurized basket. Pressurized portafilter baskets produce a fake crema not at all like the true emulsified crema from a properly pulled shot. Interesting though.

I used my aeropress while on a short vacation. No coffee makers were in the room and it worked great although a little messy.