• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manchester lunch reccos invited

just finished writing the spring 08 a.l.c. gonna start the spring a.l.c mid march, the winter a.l.c menu is currently on the hotel website under the dining option - and im aware of the heading saying autumn 07 when it should say winter 08 and also loads of spelling errors - but thats what you get if you pay an external company to do your website - a shambles but theres noyhing wrong with the cooking though

i will eventually get to stanleylands - have you got a new menu yet? This is just a flying visit hence being confined to City centre......... Not sure i can stomach red chilli at 6pm so looks like it will be grado for now...

anyone else got feedback on grado? Am coming up this week and plan to eat at the modern (lunch) and was looking for somewhere to go early evening (near picadilly - train to catch at 8pm) for a bite to eat and some drinks - Grado seems to fit the bill but is is any good?

You're eating just after T'Modern re-opens post a visit from Her Maj. Hope the smell of fresh paint isn't too off-putting.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Finally made it to The Modern this week after reading several very positive right ups on these pages (and successfully avoiding being run over by a tram en route!) I just missed "the visit" by HRH however no problems with paint fumes either thanks Bertie! I was met by a very friendly hostess at the door and offered a drink in the bar which, seeing as it was a clear day and you could see most of the city centre from their roof top vantage point i settled on. After a swift "Airmile" cocktail of champagne, havana anejo rum, lime and honey i made my way down stairs to The Modern "proper" for lunch. The menu is very reasonably priced including a £12.50/£15.50 set menu however i went for the ALC and chose the "pressed terrine of Mrs Kirkhams lancashire cheese, braised ham hock and parsley with picalilli" @ £5.50 as it sounded a bit different. The terrine was delicious and served with the daintiest picalilli i have seen - teeny little fklorets of cauliflower etc and warm brioche. from the extensive wine list (around 20 wines by the glass) i chose a picpoul de pinet @ £7.20 for 250mls. For my main i had the "Grilled Cornish John Dory, roast salsify, spinach, Loch Fyne mussels adn razor clams with a champagne sauce" £16.50 with a side of the Chat Moss winter herb salad (£3.50) This was again beautifully prepared and presented - i have photos but am not sure how to load them...But to be honest it was far too big a portion for me (oh the shame) and i would have happily have substituted one of my 10 or so mussels for some more razor clam which had been too finely sliced. Even so it was delicious and i gave up merely so i could have room for dessert - "Warm parkin with spiced roasted william pears" £4.50 which was another sucess although needed a little cream. With my main i had a glass of A20 Albarino @£7.90 which was very pleasant too. The service was very friendly - the hostess in particular was fab and the Manager(?) was delightfully charming when explaining to the two old dears sat next to me that "yes the Goosnargh chicken was organic" despite their surprise that he was able to find it as "Tesco has been out of it for weeks" and when they wanted to order a glass of wine each as they were driving he pointed out that at 250mls they should probably share a glass as one would put them over the limit - a nice touch. I would definitely recommend the Modern, i could have eaten pretty much anything and will return at some point (hopefully with a bigger appetite!) I popped into KRo later for a drink (defintely not one to eat in- like a glorified all bar one) and then it was on to Grado, surprisingly quiet in the early evening. I was still pretty full from lunch but managed a glass of fino and one of the albarino (the same A20 but at around £6.50 for 175mls) along with some pimientos de padron, salt cod croquettes and patatas bravas all of which were fine but nothing to rave about (although in fairness not the most inspired of choices on my behalf) again though the staff were seriously friendly and i had one of the best espressos i have had in a long time. I was sorry not to have been able to fit red chilli in and will try and tie that in with a football match at a later date as reading Jays posts on it made my mouth water but all in all a very successful trip.

Edited by nikkib (log)

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

That sounds great Nikki, I'm glad you enjoyed your time in town. It sounds like both The Modern and Grado played out pretty much as per the threads on here.

Shame on you for missing out on Red Chilli though! Ah well, consider it one for the "To Do" list next time. I'm planning to go there tomorrow night. I can hear the poached lamb broth and the pork and green bean thingy calling me.

Whilst on the subject of Manchester lunches didn't someone, mentioning no names, go out of their way to say they would arrange an eGullet lunch? Someone with a lot of time of their hands? Someone who deingrated my own ability to organise a lunch...

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

I have not been on line much of recent. Will PM people tonight. Rob did moot the Sat 8th March, but that did not work for me as I am off to Ludlow. In all seriousness- is March good for you with the show rapidly approaching? But no doubt have delegated everything which is why you can fart about on here so much.