• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pig Stomach

saltedgreens

My 5 year old son bought me a pig stomach for my birthday. I have no idea what to do with it. I will probably freeze it for a few days here until I figure out how to prepare it. I have not even started looking for ways to prepare it, although I look forward to whatever it may become.

Anyone have any ideas/experiences?

It was $1.89 a pound.

(smile)

One method is - for the tradional en vessie approach - salt it for a few days, then clean it out. Throw in a top class chicken with some herbs, a little brandy and truffle juice, tie it up and poach.

(I wish my son would bring me home one of those)

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

My 5 year old son bought me a pig stomach for my birthday. 

(smile)

I would Love to hear more of the story, it sounds like a Classic. Naturally, Im sure you plan to share whatever dish you come up with to your son , keep a camera handy.

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

jackal10, although haggis is a traditional food, it is not appealing.

It's traditionally made from sheep innards and oatmeal stuff into a lamb stomach.

I live to a Scottish Butcher who ships Haggis all over the US, and I cannot get past what a vile thing it seems to me. I think even Scotts secretly dislike it, and only eat it on Burns Eve.

I've had Chinese Dim Sum style pig stomach. I have not made it and I like it less than beef tripe, but I think that is a good way to prepare it. It is a little strong-tasting for me, compared to beef tripe. You can also find pig stomach and intestine soup at some Korean restaurants, but it is one of those items that is usually not translated. I think it's called Kuey Chap??

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Make a stuffing using ground pork, some herbs and spices, a few diced veggies (or not) and some kind of filler (e.g. bread crumbs). Stuff in the stomach but not too much as stomach get smaller as they cook. Sew the opening.

Poach in a good broth for an hour or more.

Use the poaching liquid to cook lentils.

Cut slices of the stuffed stomach and serve on a bed of lentils on a large serving plate.

Offer a selection of pickles to go with it, a refreshing salad helps too.

You could also cook bits of the stomach in a very strong broth (e.g. chilies and sichuan peppers) top with coriander and serve with rice.

Tell us how the experiment went!

make some hogmaw with it. Take some country sausage, diced potatoes, diced cabbage, and season with s&p. Stuff all of it into the stomach and bake it in the oven at 350 F for 3 hours. You need to bake it in a large pan and put about an inch of water in it so it sort of "poaches" in the water.

My mother makes it for new years and my grandmother makes it for Christmas dinner. I love it and the skin is the best part

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I guess you could also make some kind of terrine:

1. Cook the stomach in a very flavourful broth and add a pig trotter or two to extract the gelatine.

2. Place slices of the stomach in a terrine mold (think about presentation once you cut in it... I would lay strips of stomach so that when you cut the terrine you end up with nice little cubes of stomach)

3. Pour just enough cooking liquid to cover. Place a weight on top. Place in the fridge until it sets.

4. Serve with 'sauve vierge', some pickles, lettuce, etc.

make some hogmaw with it.  Take some country sausage, diced potatoes, diced cabbage, and season with s&p.  Stuff all of it into the stomach and bake it in the oven at 350 F for 3 hours.  You need to bake it in a large pan and put about an inch of water in it so it sort of "poaches" in the water. 

My mother makes it for new years and my grandmother makes it for Christmas dinner.  I love it and the skin is the best part

That sounds delicious!

You could also cook bits of the stomach in a very strong broth (e.g. chilies and sichuan peppers) top with coriander and serve with rice.

The thing I was thinking about is Mao Xue Wang: http://app1.chinadaily.com.cn/star/2001/0329/di24-1.html

It involves a few hard to find ingredient but it is absolutely delicious. I was unable to find a recipe in English though but I bet the folks in the Chines cuisine forum could help. And I am also guessing that you could replace the blood pudding with soft tofu.