• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restaurant at site of Uva in North Arlington

jpr54_

I'm starting to think that the Lyndhurst eG folks all follow one another around! I was up on Ridge Rd today and slowed down long enough to read the sign out front, which said Coming Soon Japanese Asian restaurant/bar.

In all the years I've lived here, nothing seems to stick in that spot. Why is that? They have a parking lot in the back, so people can't say it's that parking is tough...it's been an Italian place, a steakhouse, Uva, and probably 3 others that I'm not remembering in less than a decade!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm starting to think that the Lyndhurst eG folks all follow one another around!  I was up on Ridge Rd today and slowed down long enough to read the sign out front, which said Coming Soon Japanese Asian restaurant/bar.

I am sure we would all recognize each other since we frequent the same places.

Curlz is right, that location seems to have been cursed, it changes hands all the time. That being said, there are way too many dinky Japanese places in this area, and it's really the last thing we need another version of. We don't need another Italian place, steakhouse, or Chinese place either. The last place in this area that I saw really take off was the Smitty's Smokehouse in Lyndhurst, because there is nothing like it in the area.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I went into new restaurant this evening-

owner said opening date will be sometime in first week of February-

They will have liquor license-and serve saki-etc. There is also a tatami room-

The interior is being remodeled.

• 2 weeks later...

on returning home from work-the restaurant looks almost complete-

I also noticed that the Turkish restaurant on Valleybrook Avenue in Lyndhurst has closed and a new Italian restaurant will be opening soon

I also noticed that the Turkish restaurant on Valleybrook Avenue in Lyndhurst has closed and a new Italian restaurant will be opening soon

We've tried 2 Turkish restaurants & they've both been dull. Are all Turkish entrees dull? Only the appetizers seem to have any character.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Akasya is closed? It doesn't surprise me, but I'll miss their shis kebab, it was superior to Sultan's. They never did much business that I could tell. ;-;

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I drove by (formerly) Uva and the awning is up: it says Kaiten Sushi Restaurant. If this is what I think it is, this is going to be great! I haven't had real kaiten sushi in forever.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Not sure of the exact address, but it's catty-corner from the CVS in North Arlington, a few doors down from Fatso Fogarty's.

update

the new restaurants name

East Fountain

201-246-8688

paper menus were on door-with 10% coupon

m-th 11am-9:30pm

fri and sat. 11am-10:30

sun: noon-9:30

menu includes sushi, soups , salads. entrees, donburi, teriyaki, and tempura

update

the new restaurants name

East Fountain

201-246-8688

paper menus were on door-with 10% coupon

m-th 11am-9:30pm

fri and sat. 11am-10:30

sun: noon-9:30

menu includes sushi, soups , salads. entrees, donburi, teriyaki, and tempura

Thanks for the update! I will have to drive by tonight to grab a menu.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I live around the corner from this new restaurant-so I have been observing its remodeling into Kaiten sushi bar /Japanese Asian Restaurant

The restaurant opened today at 11am- I was in restaurant at 12:45 and there were 4 patrons-we were all waiting for the rotating sushi bar to start- some minor gliches like not having pickeled ginger and wasabi at counter, etc.

The fish was descent-nothing out of the ordinary but definitely worth another visit-The prices were not bad-

The owner and manager are Chinese-owner previously ran the Chinese buffet at the same site).

We went tonight, it was a fun break. It was decent to not have to order the full rolls of sushi and still have it fresh. It's not Tomo, but it's better than Shoprite.

I gotta see what this place is like during the busy hours, there's gotta be a nice stream of conveyor belt sushi going. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

The ceremony and tasting was for invited guests, but my fiancee and I went for lunch just to help them celebrate. We were fortunate; everything was 50% off to celebrate. :-D

East Fountain still does solid quality sushi that was quite tasty. I'm a big fan of whichever roll had the tuna and tempura bits in it, and they don't ease up on the spice for the spicy rolls. Still fresh and tasty.

One thing I'd be wary of: toro was on the menu, but when someone a few seats down asked to order some, the chefs told him none was available. Just a heads-up.

Edited by MJP (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone been here, since they opened?

I live in North Arlington and am very happy to have a new restaurant in town. My daughter, wife and I went for lunch right after it opened and everyone enjoyed our meals. The owner recognized me from the Chinese buffet. Apparently he took back the business after the others failed. Sushi was pretty good. They redid the area and it really looks nice inside. The conveyor with various rolls passing by is fun. (they do pour a nice glass of wine for $5.00)

I went back with my wife last week and decided to try something off the Chinese menu. The Japanese was much better. As I mentioned, it is very convenient for us and we will probably visit it often.