• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piding an thermomstatic Analog Water bath

adey73

Got an old 10 litre Grant Thermostatic analog waterbath.

It does fine at heating water and keeps it there for an indefinite period.

However it does not keep temperature nearly accurately enough for further adventures in sous vide.

Now I've seen coffee machines, rice cooker and even home brew kits with the addition of a Pid.

But has anyone got a clue as to what to do with a Waterbath.

schematics or which bits go where and how not to electrocute myself?! :shock:

I assume the waterbath has a cable for plugging into the wall? Put that through eg Auberins PID controller, drop the temp probe into the bath, turn the waterbath thermostat to max and your should be good to go after some PID tuning.

Basically, you are replacing the built in thermostat with the PID.

No surgery on the waterbath required!

Edit: This is the controller I'm talking about, it is ready to go straight out of the box:

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=pr...&products_id=44

Edited by TheSwede (log)

thanks fella, but that baby isn't going to take a UK power lead and will take up extra space on my work surface.

I don't mind using a scalpel on the Plastic casing on the Waterbath, I actual want the pid to be internal to the unit so that I don't have space issue. and I like the look of the Pids being part of the Unit.

I'm odd like that :laugh:

thanks fella, but that baby isn't going to take a UK power lead and will take up extra space on my work surface.

I don't mind using a scalpel on the Plastic casing on the Waterbath, I actual want the pid to be internal to the unit so that I don't have space issue. and I like the look of the Pids being part of the Unit.

No problem getting it take a european powerlead, input is an ordinary computer power cable which you buy yourself. Output is a US socket, so you have to plug in a travel adapter there. I use one of those controllers here in Sweden without problems.

Same site also sells kits for eg espresso machines, which should work for your built in solution. They have schematics and tutorials.

But has anyone got a clue as to what to do with a Waterbath.

schematics or which bits go where and how not to electrocute myself?! :shock:

I'm not quite sure from these contradictory posts as to whether or not you do want saving from yourself. :smile:

As explained upthread, nothing more than a socket adapter is required to use the safe solution of the pre-packaged unit, which you can then locate safely in your workspace - probably safely above your work surface. No significant electrical skill is required.

That sounds a whole lot safer than your wish to install non-waterproof mains electrical stuff in a position where it could well get wet - with dangerous results.

Note that because the switching is limited by the maximum *current*, its use on UK mains will allow the unit to switch over twice the *power* it can on US 110v mains. And hence the $20 cheaper, lower spec unit might meet your needs.

What power is your waterbath heater?

And I presume that you've already studied the "Stove Mod" thread...

And lastly, to ensure your preservation, do use an RCD protection switch on your wall socket:

example http://www.homeandgarden.co.uk/smj-----rcd...50060-562-p.asp

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

The Auber unit is spec'd for dual voltage and with only 750 watts you would be fine. .. if you went this way. Suyi at Auber is very helpful so if you wanted to stuff one of the pids into the unit you have he could probably recommend the solution.

Personally, I'd get an external unit so you can use multiple heating elements. Better flexibility.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.